side impact beams

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I cannot find on the Net if my '81 SL Euro has Intrusion Beams in the doors.
I know that the S Class had . Also that this fitment may differ for different Countries. So Local design rules here may be different for a Euro Spec car bound for Hong Kong ?????

Sean

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I cannot find on the Net if my '81 SL Euro has Intrusion Beams in the doors.
I know that the S Class had . Also that this fitment may differ for different Countries. So Local design rules here may be different for a Euro Spec car bound for Hong Kong ?????

Sean

You need to remove the door trim and have a look.
By law, to have yours legally registered, it should've had intrusion bars fitted.

Helmet

Connoisseur
As Michel has said, It would have left the factory without but should have them now. I've always wondered why ADR,s stipulated that we need them when they passed Mercedes Benz crash tests without ?

A

Afro107

Ther was a cut off year for imports not needing a retrofit of intrusion bars on factory built RHD's good few years ago. edit: for personal imports
Was not the same as converts from LHD.
Child seat anchor points were mandatory only if you wanted your car to be 4/5 seater registered, same as for safety belts at the rear seats

Not sure if still the same. There is a list of VASS approved engineers here and correct info is just a phone call away

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
I am just trying to think if any of the 107s that passed through my doors were fitted with the intrusion bars. We did a lot of work on a 1979 450SLC, including upholstery, but cannot recall ever seeing any intrusion bars. I would imagine, Sean, that your 280SL would more than likely not have the intrusion bars. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks Gents, maybe they were retro fitted, as Michael says have a look. I did see an add for retro fit bars while searching the net. Hope I can find it again.

Sean

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
P.S. maybe the " Panzer Wagon " does not need interior Beams ? The doors are as heavy as the rest of the Body !
Sean