Three questions '74 sl 350

More threads by Testie

Testie

1. Do all cars fitted with A/C have an auxillary fan?
2. There is a smell of fuel after a trip and I can't see any obvious leaks. It seems to be around the back of the car. Any clues?
3. The car seems to wander on smooth roads what we used to call "tram tracking". The wheel alignment seems ok. There is a bit of play in the steering which takes constant corrections. Is there adjustment in the steering box or is it a suspention issue?
Any help or comments appreciated.
Col.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
1. Do all cars fitted with A/C have an auxillary fan?
2. There is a smell of fuel after a trip and I can't see any obvious leaks. It seems to be around the back of the car. Any clues?
3. The car seems to wander on smooth roads what we used to call "tram tracking". The wheel alignment seems ok. There is a bit of play in the steering which takes constant corrections. Is there adjustment in the steering box or is it a suspention issue?
Col.

Welcome to the Forum Col,

AFAIK fans are standard for a/c fitted cars.
On certain cars, they come on when the A/C is on, regardless of the temperature.

The fuel smell sound like a leaky cap or perhaps a hose fitting nearer to the tank.

Are your wheels standard or large aftermarket? Tracking usually happens on wider tyres (with a bit of wear).

WGB

1. Do all cars fitted with A/C have an auxillary fan?Col.
AFAIK this is correct. Some 280 models seem to have been without an electric fan but not sure if they had A/C

Col.

Check for any leaking hoses or joints - there is a plethora of connections around the fuel pump and filter. I am not sure about Aus cars with their sealed emission system but Euros have a vent pipe with a rubber end shaped to keep the water out and this exits inboard to the left rear wheel well above the rear axle.

Col.

Steering box can be adjusted if there is any adjustment left but it is likely that a good front end check will be required if the car wanders.

All rubber joints, all ball joints and particularly the large guide joints on the outer ends of the lower arms will need to be checked.

Bill

OP
T

Testie

Thanks to all . I will check again around the fuel tank when I can lift it up a bit to have a good look. The wheels are standard. So who pinched my fan?

Attachments

• CIMG1637.JPG
    CIMG1637.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 11