Centre Console of 1973 350 SE

More threads by gurrier

gurrier

Connoisseur
I am trying to remove the central console and have all visible screws etc removed (switches heater controls etc. removed) I cannot see how to remove it, I do not want to use excessive force - anyone who can help, please.

B

BAR

Best advice has already been given. Look at the Manual which is 'free'.

Not all the screws (and other fastening devices) will be in plain sight and you will need to know where to look, the manual will indicate where these are.

One they are removed it is quite easy to lift out the centre console.

Take extra care when removing and reinstalling the console of the area surrounding the radio / ashtray as it is an inherently weak area and can be broken.

OP
G

gurrier

Connoisseur
Thanks for pointers - I 'm new to the W116 scene therefore am a bit lost at present. Too late for the piece between the Radio/Ashtray - unfortunately!

Styria

The Godfather
Hi gurrier, there is no need to consult any workshop manual because I can give you the necessary information. Unfortunately, as a matter of interest, due to moving I have not had access to the internet, and therefore topklasse. Hence the delay in responding to your query.

It looks as though I may be a bit late, and it would appear that you may have caused some damage ? Anyway, for future reference.

In order to remove the centre console, both seats should be removed. Also, if your car has not previously been "worked on" in that regard, there should be two self tappers at the very front of the gearbox tunnel trim. On the driver's side (RH), you will need to remove the footrest - the locating screw for that you will have to access by forcing a Phillips head screw driver through the material covering the timber part of the footrest.

You will also have to remove the ashtray, then the radio, and that will expose the two set screws at the very front of the console. It is a plastic fitting, and a little awkward to get to with a Phillips head screwdriver, but it shouldn't be overly difficult.

You will also need to disconnect the sliding control panel, and there are two self tappers (on the bottom of the sliding control bezels) that you will have to remove. In addition, the two rotary dials require removing as well as the toggle switches up on top. All in all, quite time consuming and 'FIDDLY'. Take care with ALL components. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it's been about five years since Gurrier has been on the site - "looking". Nothing further was ever heard from him regarding the removal of the Central Console. Regard all this as a vagary of the Internet. I wonder if he still has his 350SE ? Who knows. Regards Styria

OP
G

gurrier

Connoisseur
Well, it's been about five years since Gurrier has been on the site - "looking". Nothing further was ever heard from him regarding the removal of the Central Console. Regard all this as a vagary of the Internet. I wonder if he still has his 350SE ? Who knows. Regards Styria
Hello Styria,

Guess who is back.

Ups and downs of life have prevented progress but I am now willing and able to get going again.

I am recommencing the restoration process on a 1973 350SE first registered in Ireland on the 30th of May 1973 - chassis no. 008241.
I have owned the car since 2009 and began work on it then but am only now returning to the effort.
I am using the upcoming 50th Anniversary of the W116 launch as motivation to progress.

Hope to contribute again shortly.

Gurrier

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice to hear from you again Gurrier.
Looking forward to some pictorial development. ☺️