And Then There Were Three.....

More threads by Lukas

Lukas

Go on Lukas, join the ranks of us multi-W116 owners...

Well, it had to happen. Took a little trip to West Gippsland the week before last, and have as a result procured myself the 6.9 that was on EBay as per http://topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=711. It also came with a "parts" 450SEL, which is work out but still better than the rusty 350 in rust terms, and is a nice dark blue colour.

So, the result is I now have 3 116es - one in the front yard (because I can't drive it into the back yet), one in the back yard and the 6.9 under the carport, where it has evicted my regular car.

Quick overview: car had a dodgy respray sometime over a year ago (in QLD), which neglected to do any rust removal first, so thus rust is now coming through in all sorts of strange places. Panels are generally quite good.

Interior is good save some work required to the wood inserts and the ceiling. Power windows and sunroof don't work properly due to jamming, but no worries there.

Mechanicals are fine - no leaks, new spheres all round, runs well. Starter motor is a little flaky, but it came with a spare.

Plan is to get it RWC (needs some blown globes fixed, things like that), historic rego, and then carry on pottering around with it. An eventual proper respray is on the cards too. Rest assured there will be many, many more questions.

Mandatory pics (sorry, not very good due to light, and I had already started disassembling):

Front:
2008-07-05Mercedes6900.jpg

Engine:
2008-07-05Mercedes6901.jpg

Back - tail lights already removed for de-rusting:
2008-07-05Mercedes6902.jpg

Profile:
2008-07-05Mercedes6903.jpg

Interior - with footrests!:
2008-07-05Mercedes6904.jpg

Interior - front:
2008-07-05Mercedes6905.jpg

First aid kit!:
2008-07-05Mercedes6906.jpg

Radio - a Becker Grand Prix - is this original?
2008-07-05Mercedes6907.jpg

Question: how can I tell when the car was made? It's a euro, so no date on the compliance plate.

VIN = 116 036 22 003920 = car# 3920 - can the seq # be used to place the year?

Parts car is also not bad, although has done 360,000km and showing it. Panels good, paint shot. When I'm happy with the 6.9, might consider starting on that too, perhaps give it the 350 motor if it's own is past it.

Parts car:
2008-07-05Mercedes450SEL00.jpg

Woohoo!

Lukas

Last edited:
OP
L

Lukas

PS - The dissassembly is because I went to change a number plate light, which had the cover siliconed on (snapped screws), so I pulled out the centre chrome bit, then the boot seal, which had rust bubbles underneath (under the new paint), etc. So, have stripped the paint in the boot seal channel, and will then repaint and re-assemble everything properly. The various rubber seals in that area are also mostly cactus, so replacing them too.

B13

Difficult to put a definitive date on things... really only by calculation and comparison can you get an idea to the build month and year.

I've determined my "1979" 6.9 #5440 is a Dec 1978, and was probably delivered to Melbourne in Jan or Feb 1979 hence its designation as a 1979 model.

Also these are the published built-per-year figures:

1975: 474
1976: 1475
1977: 1798
1978: 1665
1979: 1839
1980: 129

Your car is #3920 which numbers-wise puts you in around early 1978.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done Lukas.

Welcome to the exclusive 6.9 Club :p

116Benz

Damn Lukas, you dont muck about do you. Congrats on the new arrivals!

WGB

Welcome to the club.

It has the Euro radiator and oil cooler and will have the 8.8:1 euro motor.

Years of fun and the best part is a 6.9 will always be worth something so you can get some of your money back for effort expended.

If you want the definitive build date send away for the data card.

Up until recently they were provided with little fuss but a couple of months ago they started asking for proof of ownership.

I am a member of the M-100 club and all I provided was my M-100 club membership and VIN's and the data cards for my two cars came back within 24 hours by e-mail

There is also an M-100 register and it would be nice to make sure your car is recorded there.

Bill

Last edited:

WGB

I have checked the registry and your car #3920 is not mentioned but #3866 and #3931 are and are given as 1978 models.

My car is #5554 and assembly was Jan 1979 so it would suggest your car was first half 1978.

The M-100 site is http://www.m-100.cc/index.html.

I applied for my Data cards by e-mail from martin-oswald.heinzelmann@daimler.com but I understand they have been a bit dodgey subsequently.

If you have problems with Germany they may also be obtainable from Classicparts@mbusa.com who sem to be a little easier to deal with.

Bill

Last edited:

-bb-

Noble
Congrats on the purchases.

If it helps date your car, my 6.9 is no 4965 and build date is 11/78.

...and the radio is not the original one.

OP
L

Lukas

Hi all,

Thanks for the dating info - I think May 78 will do for now. Can't get the data card yet as I can't prove ownership as I haven't got it registered yet. Will try the VIN + Car Club Membership route for the data card - thanks.

Also, thanks for all the advice on where to go from the rusty 350 - I agree that it's better to spend more and get a better car to start with. This one does have many faults, but they are mostly ones I can tackle myself, which is what I am after. I still can't get over how a fantastic car like this can be had for so little money.

The 350 is still around by the way - plan to get it driveable, put in into the back and then put it on hold.

Will look at the registry and other bits on the M100 site too. That big trip they're having looks interesting - will try to be in town when that hits Canberra.

Re the radio - thought it was too modern - nice radio though - the only one I've ever seen where you can astually type in the frequency of the station you want. Why can't they all do that?

Oh yes, and I have to build a 3-car garage out the back now - planning approval - mmmmmmm.

Lukas

SELfor50

WTF?! I'm away for a couple days and you upgrade from a 350, to a 450 & 6.9... you've got the entire V8 range covered!! F*kn nice work my friend.

I'm off to sandown on Friday so won't have a chance to check it out over the weekend...but if you're not up to much tomorrow night BB's heading over to mine, you're more than welcome.

Cam2.

PS. Is that an 'Adapt 2' Rainwater tank in your back yard?? ???

OP
L

Lukas

He he he - I am still feeling pretty pleased with myself about the whole thing. All I "need" now is a manual 280. Oh yes, and an extension to the garage I haven't built yet.

Booked tonight sorry, plus still bouncing off a cold, so trying to keep my coughing to myself. Come to think of it, will also be carless (meaning without a registered car). Tank is just a regular water tank - made by Nylex which the adapt2 website says they sell.

G

GreaseMonkey

Sounds like a good trio there, making my 280SE seem inadequate.
I'm still chasing a possible deal on a local 6.9 (but don't tell my wife, she's a bit off Mercs at the moment, due to a few problems with the W123 280E and it's immobiliser having a fit).
But.....SELfor50, what exactly is a 2007 W116 400SE Hybrid?
Smells a bit too close to one of those 'Let's Fleece The Greenies With A Totally Pointless Decoy' type Toyotas for me.
Do explain.
Cheers,
Chris M.