The Rover

G

GreaseMonkey

Didn't see it out here in the boonies, hope it was a P5 or P5B?
C.M.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
1960 P5 MkI
I had a nice little thrash around Yarramalong Valley in it in December and it was fun in very restrained kind of manner. Very, very easy to drive.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

Mk1 eh? With those neat little wind deflectors at the top of the windows.
And a near silent torquey six.
Haven't seen one in ages.
Real class.
C.M.

G

GreaseMonkey

The 3500 normally refers to the P6, I am not so keen on them, ok cars, but not like the big leather armchair Rovers of old.
Maybe I am biased as the police used to use them too, sometimes blue, some white with the red and yellow stripe, known locally as 'Jam Sandwiches'.
In fact, as they rotted away in the UK, most gave up their seats to a trandy furniture company in W. Hampstead, (as seen on Top Gear's current series).
If you mean a P5B, I believe they were known as 3.5, yes, great cars, especially the Coupe.
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
P6.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

If you're thinking of buying a P6, let me know as I would daresay that there would be very few bods in Sydney that would know more about them, or have more spare parts, than I do. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The 3500 normally refers to the P6, I am not so keen on them, ok cars, but not like the big leather armchair Rovers of old.
Maybe I am biased as the police used to use them too, sometimes blue, some white with the red and yellow stripe, known locally as 'Jam Sandwiches'.
In fact, as they rotted away in the UK, most gave up their seats to a trandy furniture company in W. Hampstead, (as seen on Top Gear's current series).
If you mean a P5B, I believe they were known as 3.5, yes, great cars, especially the Coupe.
C.M.

I can tell you one thing for sure Grease Monkey - the P5B, even in Coupe form, was a grossly overrated car. Lovely to look at - in fact, one of the most handsome cars you could wish to see. Great engine for what was asked of it, very marginal BW35 Auto despite its additional internal oil pump. Terrible front suspension never modified from original which catered for the much heavier six cylinder engine, excellent brakes, marginal ride comfort on account of stiff front torsion bars, quality of Connolly leather upholstery very poor, and body that could rust quite badly. Don't forget, British Leyland already had their mits on the car well and truly with not very good results.

MarkII a,b, and c are much more sturdy and robust and will not rot the same way as the P5B Coupes and Saloons. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Still talking about P5 - P5B - P6 and P6B Rovers, I have owned Rovers since the age of 20 - when I first got my licence, and my first car was, in fact, a 1956 Rover 90 that I bought off Debiens Motor Auctions on hire purchase for $1100.00 - that was the time when a new Holden could be bought for twice that price. It was a disastrous car. I then progressed to a 3 litre Mark IIa Saloon - excellent car....even at that time, I had to 'fiddle', didn't I....

Rosses69052.jpg

The 'other car' I used to dream of, in those days, was the Lagonda Rapide.....

and if we're talking about the P5B, this was a Saloon that I got rid off very smarly. Lovely car, just didn't ride and handle like what I was used to...the 'normal' 6 cylinder engine with 4 speed and overdrive....this is the P5B

Rosses69054.jpg.....or a very rare Rover 105 - 1959....what a beautiful car - yes, I did own this car.
Rosses69.jpg

Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
At the risk of boring everyone with Rovers, I have owned my good share of them over the years, and my last Rover P6B 3500S would have been the best bar none in Sydney. Not original, mind you, but still the best..says he modestly.

scanningRoverpics.jpg

It was a special car. Sliding Webasto Sunroof, creme Schmitt Wallsdorf leather upholstery, Becker Mexico Cassette Radio, Wilton carpets, Almond/Creme exterior colour scheme, including Roof and sill panels, slightly hotted up engine with different camshaft and Rover 5 speed manual gearbox.

It is seen here in company with Gleaming Beauty at the 'Bull 'n Bush' Concors d'Elegance at Baulkham Hills - it was a strictly 'family affair', but we got 1st and 3rd outright on the day, separated by a Rolls Royce. Gleaming Beauty got third.

Unfortunately, the picture below shows its untimely end after I t-boned a 'P' plater. The Insurance Company doubled its payout over the normal maximum.

mercedes350SLRustandPaint003.jpg

The other car is a magnificent 220SE Convertible that I cared for some while ago.

As part of the Insurance deal on the Rover 3500S, I was able to retain possession of the write off, and I am 70% through restoration to create another 3500S with the Webasto Sliding Roof, the magnificent upholstery, engine and the Rover 5 speed manual box. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You are not boring us Styria. We are interested.
The other car that kind of tempts me at the moment is a Jaguar XJS V12. I suppose I should be responsible though; it is a recession.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

The Jag is a good car, much undervalued at the moment, but get ALL the checks done thoroughly, a good one can be a bargain, a lemon can be a disaster.
Chris M.

G

GreaseMonkey

I can tell you one thing for sure Grease Monkey - the P5B, even in Coupe form, was a grossly overrated car. Lovely to look at - in fact, one of the most handsome cars you could wish to see. Great engine for what was asked of it, very marginal BW35 Auto despite its additional internal oil pump. Terrible front suspension never modified from original which catered for the much heavier six cylinder engine, excellent brakes, marginal ride comfort on account of stiff front torsion bars, quality of Connolly leather upholstery very poor, and body that could rust quite badly. Don't forget, British Leyland already had their mits on the car well and truly with not very good results.

MarkII a,b, and c are much more sturdy and robust and will not rot the same way as the P5B Coupes and Saloons. Regards Styria

You're probably right.
A friend I was in partnership in a garage in London in the seventies had a coupe, and back then it was like new, went well, and as for handling, who knows in London traffic? I don't remember pushing it out in the country roads anyway.
I also knew someone who had a Mk1 3 Litre which was a totally different car, smooth, silent, and noticeably roomier inside without the coupe's lower roof. Much more regal!
C.M.

G

GreaseMonkey

I have not heard of any in Aus.
Yes, could be an interesting pair, but really, I just can not take on any other projects right now - no room.
C.M.

G

GreaseMonkey

At least it is a Phantom, and it will be alwats worth it to see one taken care of.
I however, have several half-done projects, and need to cull back to make sure the ones that count get done.
The SLC will have to go, that is already 100%, so I can concentrate on the Crayford wagon and the Model T Woodie,
Stick with it, a dream car that deserves to live forever.
Chris M.