Sports exhausts for bad W116s:

More threads by B13

B13

Ok here's some designs I drew up during quiet time at work (was sick of work for the day):

1st design is for Cam's club car Ol'silver:

exhaust%20system%20Team%231.jpg

2nd design is the one currently on my club car "whitey":

Its a very simple system and its performance and note is pretty good, its all made up of 3" piping and a pretty plain resonator and muffler:

exhaust%20system%20Team%232.JPG

And here's what is sounds like: Link so I'll stick with it for the time being.

3rd design is another simple sports system, this time applied to a 280:

It collects the pipes down near the gearbox into a single 3" pipe, a dog and a muffler. Think of it as a 6cyl version of the system fitted to Whitey.

exhaust%20system280%20cheap.JPG

4th design is a more complex sports system, for a 280:

Its the long system I was talking about in which the output pipes have a dog in each and are never collected..

exhaust%20system280%20best.JPG

Believe its the same as fitted to Povo, and sounds like this: Link

5th design is the best possible race system for a 6cyl:

In fact its a variation on the system I design for Cam's Ol' Silver:

exhaust%20system%20Team%233.JPG

BTW the 4 rectangles on each diagram represent the car's wheels.

Ian.

SELfor50

'Technical Diagram' #1 is getting installed on Monday :D

I'd like to say i'll put up a recording up next week, but reality is.. I'll end up not having the time to do it and you'll probably be disappointed... :(

There will be photo's though.

You gonna kit up a new exhaust or stick with the current setup Oscar?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Very Nice Ian,

Did you have a go at designing a serious exhaust for the Triple Bs? (Big Block Brigade) :p

SELfor50

Very Nice Ian,

Did you have a go at designing a serious exhaust for the Triple Bs? (Big Block Brigade) :p

I gotta jump in on that one.... :)

The 'Triple B's' should having nothing smaller than 3.5" pipes, straight through, stainless steel and popping out under each tail light at the rear. :D

oscar

You gonna kit up a new exhaust or stick with the current setup Oscar?

No exhaust mods for povo just yet. Would love to experiment later on though:cool: Remeber 450AMG I think. Uploaded this mod CLICK HERE can you guys rermember what it was. It says 2.5" all the way through but I can't remember full details. Would it match one of your diagrams Ian?

OP
B

B13

Did you have a go at designing a serious exhaust for the Triple Bs? (Big Block Brigade)

Gave MS Paint a real workout today inbetween solving people IT woes...

Since the Big Block is really OTT its only fitting that it should be fitted with a similarly OTT exhaust system so this is the natural for those cars:

exhaust%20system6.9sidepipe.JPG

Here's some artists impressions of what the finished product would look like:

mb350-sidepipe.jpg

and

690sel-sidepipe.jpg

And finally of course worthy mention must be made of the exhaust system made famous by mad max, would be ideal on a 6.3 or 6.9:

exhaust%20system%20mad%20max%20style.JPG

Anyone interested please feel free to crop some mad max pipes on a 116.

I.

SELfor50

AWESOME!!!

My plan has changed, i've been told the side exit pipes aren't legal on a 4 door car, and thus i'm going to re-jig my other setup...

:mad: :(

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Here's some artists impressions of what the finished product would look like:
690sel-sidepipe.jpg

I.

I luuuuuurve the look....:p

But I'd hate to think of cost to have them made and the droning that comes with side pipes.
I used to have a 69 Corvette convertible with side pipes... :rolleyes:

oscar

Michel, it was much easier to grab a copy of 690sel rather than take my own photo. Yours was on the correct angle plus the exhaust had a red reflection on it which suited. The exhaust was pinched from a 1970 stingray I think but I spent a bit of time on youtube to hear what all the fuss was and wow. The Corvettes are magic.

Cam, it was a question I was thinking of asking but you've found out. All I could think was burnt legs of anyone that got too close. I know there's a cover over but it doesn't look quite right for the end to come out near the side door.

What about exiting into the rear wheel wells? This was done on a car that was posted on one of the forums ages ago and it may have been a 6.3. I can't recall any details though. Anybody remember?

SELfor50

Not sure oscar, need to investigate. For the moment, think i'm gonna re-fabricate my current setup and maybe remove the muffler at the back.
:D

OP
B

B13

My plan has changed, i've been told the side exit pipes aren't legal on a 4 door car, and thus i'm going to re-jig my other setup...

Thats a shame.

I knew this was a possibility but didn't think it would be much of a problem if the car is unregistered, or registered as a 2 seater...

Still save your $ and spend it elsewhere on the car.

Eliminating a muffler makes a good cheap task.

I.

SELfor50

Thats a shame.

I knew this was a possibility but didn't think it would be much of a problem if the car is unregistered, or registered as a 2 seater...

Still save your $ and spend it elsewhere on the car.

Eliminating a muffler makes a good cheap task.

I.

Another thing I found out today... I have to re-register it as a 2 seater.

Once i've got the paint all done, I'll be taking it past my 'roadworthy' man for a new certificate / inspection. I thought I was getting somewhere, but sooooo much more to spend. :(