BMW 507 Sports Car

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
These have got to be one of the prettiest Sports Cars produced, and they command a significant premium whenever one is for sale - which is not very often. I have only ever seen one in real life, and that was at the Amerang Museum back in 2005. Very pretty. As an apprentice back in 1958, I was heavily involved with the Saloon version - it belonged to the owner of a huge Mens Wear store, and it was my job to clean and wash the car - in the middle of winter. It used to be parked in the courtyard of that shop and I was single handledly trying to push the car forward and backward, and of course crawling all over it ! It hardly ever got a proper wash. In those days, it was a bucket and sponge, and a towel to dry the car.

The car on test here is criticized for its steering, among other things. Not totally unusual for that period of car production - I cast my mind back to Rovers I used to own in those days (well, of that production era), and I also vividly recall driving a Mercedes 190SL a number of years ago that had absolutely horrible steering. Anyway, I will have to try and dig up a photo of the BMW I took at the Amerang Museum. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I've never seen one but the photos speak for themselves (go and google it) - a real car for real drivers. Given the period of its development I'm not surprised to hear it was a handful. Having driven, amongst other competitors, the Bristol and Lancia Appia of the period, I can understand why both were considered to be so good at the time. I can't for the life of me inderstand why someone in the 1950s would have bought a Bentley MkVI or a R-R Silver Dawn when the handling of the Bristol was soooooooo much better. Having said that, I did have the chance to drive a Dawn with a genuine 35,000 miles on it and it was so different from any other MkVI or Dawn I have driven that it makes me wonder just how well-maintained are some of the "restored" examples.
It goes without saying that a well-sorted Flaminia by Touring would beat any of the above.
Go and have a look at this: http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/DE8KP3CI476BFAVF
Having driven a Flaminia and a 190SL I know I would choose the Flaminia for the light and responsive nature it offers (sorry Tim...).
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, first of all, I have managed to dig up the photo of the BMW507 that I saw at Amerang.

MikeNo1116_zps15edf8fa.jpg

Whilst I was looking for the 507, I came across of what I think is the BMW503 - in my opinion, an even better looking car than the 507. Just to whet your appetite, here are a couple of pics.....it is very elegant and beautifully styled, but I must find out more about this model in due course....

MikeNo1105_zps7239cdad.jpg

This is the back section of the same car - also, one can get a peep at the DKW Auto Union - the green one - don't think I have any pictures of it as such.

MikeNo1107_zpsb682d386.jpg

You know, the quality of cars at this Museum, totally in the middle of virtually nowhere, was amazing. In fact, my sister in law and myself were the only visitors during our stay. I'll try and post some other p[ics in due course. Now, that BMW503.........Regards Styria

N.B. Apologies for getting pics mixed up.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, just to get back to your earlier reply - the Flaminia has always been a favourite of mine - why, the name Flaminia just rolls off your tongue, just like Lagonda Rapide and a few others. The Flaminia, of course as the advertisement states, has De Dion rear suspension, the same as the 1962 David Brown Lagonda Rapide. In addition, it had inboard brakes (headache ! ?) plus the gearbox and differential were located as one unit - the same as the AMG SLS Mercedes - should I have said that ? :eek: Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I was trying to connect the various pictures and pierce stories together and, of course, there was a missing link. Why on earth did I ever refer to the 508 Sports Car ? Simple. Hereunder you will find the PDF that I never included in the first place. It of course contains some information that I commented upon, such as the steering etc. So, here goes:

N.B. The heading should be BMW508. The 507 was the Saloon, unless I am mistaken. Regards Styria

Attachments

• BMW 508 - V8 ('50s)_NEW.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thank you BenzBoy. I will get it right eventually. In the meantime, there is a short video of a 503 meeting back in 2011. I am amazed at the likeness (similarity) in the frontal treatment between the 503 and the David Brown Lagonda Rapide of 1962-1964. Regards Styria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5wdh58Q6Z8