IMG_0423_zpshnvbf6fm.jpg

IMG_0421_zpsicfgwz0p.jpg

IMG_0424_zpsnls4txsu.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Looking very sharp and pretty!:cool:

Styria

The Godfather
Anthony, full marks for being different. I used to agonise over Gleaming Beauty having a two tone paint job and, after all those years, I am still happy for having made the move. I am sure you will feel likewise any time you look at your car. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Lovely! Where had it rusted?

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Rear wheel wells, bottom of passengers side front door and in the drivers side front guard. All were caused by poor repairs in the past.

Styria

The Godfather
Big call, Anthony ! The car was resprayed, back to bare metal, more than fifteen years ago - perhaps even twenty. The door had never been rust repaired at any time. 108/109s, as well as the 116, are very much prone to rust - as we all know. I acquired the car about thirty years ago - something has got to give with this sort of time frame.

CraigS

Typical seller - "no, there is no rust in the car" ! Whatever happened to 30 year warranties ?

CraigS

Speaking of 6.3's and not to take away from Anthony's fine makeover, RonB and I scored big time this week with a couple of brand new Behr 6.3 radiators. Silver Star were quitting some stock and we picked them up for $275 each !

Mercedes list is US$2200 and you can buy them for around US$1650.

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, I submit -there should have been no rust, irrespective of the time factor. However, having said all that, I must admit that the right hand front guard DID have an annoying tendency to keep on rusting in just the one spot - I don't know for what reason. It was just one of those stubborn problems that refused to go away.

BTW, the owner of the car, in other words the person I restored it for, was involved in a fatal plane crash on his property. He was an experienced pilot, owned his own plane, sheep and cattle breeder extraordinaire, and quite an excellent race driver. His name was Bill Pye, and may he rest in peace. Bill traded the car with Helmet some years ago, and it was Anthony that bought the car from him. I guess that is one chapter with a somewhat sad ending. Bill was a thorough gentleman, and well liked by everyone. The crash occurred about a fortnight ago. Bill had raced at Hidden Valley only a fortnight before his untimely death. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Okay, I submit -there should have been no rust, irrespective of the time factor. However, having said all that, I must admit that the right hand front guard DID have an annoying tendency to keep on rusting in just the one spot - I don't know for what reason. It was just one of those stubborn problems that refused to go away.

BTW, the owner of the car, in other words the person I restored it for, was involved in a fatal plane crash on his property. He was an experienced pilot, owned his own plane, sheep and cattle breeder extraordinaire, and quite an excellent race driver. His name was Bill Pye, and may he rest in peace. Bill traded the car with Helmet some years ago, and it was Anthony that bought the car from him. I guess that is one chapter with a somewhat sad ending. Bill was a thorough gentleman, and well liked by everyone. The crash occurred about a fortnight ago. Bill had raced at Hidden Valley only a fortnight before his untimely death. Regards. Styria
You mean Bill Pye of Caroonboon? What a small world!
Regards,
Brian

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Six 3 has suddenly increased in value 10 fold! It has provenance:cool:

Styria

The Godfather
You mean Bill Pye of Caroonboon? What a small world!
Regards,
Brian

BenzBoy, indeed this is the man I am talking about. Did you know him, or of him ?I used to meet him with the 6.3 at Bankstown Airport. He'd arrive with his charming wife Maggie (If I'm not mistaken) and their two lovely children - I am fairly certain it was two, and he would question me wistfully if the car was getting any better. At times, there were some 'nigglies' that would rear their head. He'd promptly go out to Eastern Creek to test the car, and then complain that he couldn't keep up with an ML55 around the circuit. Regards. Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
BTW, the owner of the car, in other words the person I restored it for, was involved in a fatal plane crash on his property. He was an experienced pilot, owned his own plane, sheep and cattle breeder extraordinaire, and quite an excellent race driver. His name was Bill Pye, and may he rest in peace. The crash occurred about a fortnight ago. Bill had raced at Hidden Valley only a fortnight before his untimely death. Regards. Styria

Very sad indeed.
Here's a clip about Bill's passing away.
http://autoaction.com.au/tcm-competitor-killed-aircraft-accident/