Removing tint

More threads by BenzBoy

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Brian,
The window tint guy I used to use, used ammonia.
Not sure if it was neat, or watered down.

It just made it crinkle up, but it was still a prick of a job to then get the crinkled tint of in small pieces.

I have also heard a heat gun will do the job, but I haven’t witnessed that.

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, right at this moment I can't come up with a satisfactory "solution". A few years ago, I became involved with the removal of tints from a Nissan SUV, and it took a long, and frustrating time. I obviously used the wrong material - whatever it was. I used a heat gun, my finger nails , God knows what have you... but it was not a nice job. It is only last week that I managed to find an experienced Windscreen Remover/Installer, and I'll contact him for any procedures/materials he can recommend. Watch this space. Regards Styria

N.B. Hope I won't be too late - BTW, I did witness old film removal a couple of years ago by another Installer. Whatever he used, it all came off easily.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thanks Styria - taking off old tint is not a probelm. Taking it off and not also removing the heating element below it is a problem so any advice would be appreciated.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
BenzBoy, I have just spoken to an experienced Windscreen Fitter/Remover. I used him the other day. He suggested to use a "Steamer", presumably hot, and that there are Companies or tradespersons outthere that can do the job without damaging the fine wiring. Regards Styria

N.B.......apparently, it isn't all that expensive. Maybe a hundred o thereabouts.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I used Tint a Car West Ryde and they successfully removed the tint from the ML without damaging the demister strips. I chose them because they used a steamer rather than a heat gun. Th result is what I wanted. The ML already has privacy glass to the rear windows and then the PO had fitted a heavy tint over the top of that with the end result being that rear vision was close to zero. All is now restored to what I would expect.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
BenzBoy, that is indeed a good outcome. It was probably four to five years ago that I witnessed a Windscreen guy remove tint very quickly and successfully, and I thought at the time just how easy it looked. It must have been steam. Without wishing to be tactless, was the job expensive ? It'd be good to know for future reference. I can no longer recall what I paid for my job. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It was $200 to remove the tint from all windows including the rear and sunroom.
The ML has dark privacy glass in the rear and some idiot had put a darker than legal tint over the top of that so rear and side visibility was non-existant. It took 1 man 2.5 hours to remove the tint and clean all glue from the glass and then vacuum up any flakes from the carpet so I don't believe it was expensive. It was an investment in safety.
Regards,
Brian