Purchase of new honda jazz

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Tim, details of fuel consumption in my post replying to WGB. I am glad you like the little 'battleship" !:D:D

Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Sorry Styria yes did mention the fuel consumption.

We took our little baby for a 140 kilometer drive on Saturday, going up to Springwood in the lower Blue Mountains range, and then across to Agnes Banks and Richmond, and back to Parramatta, and the consumption worked out to 6.7l./100kms, or 42.something in the old imperial terms

'Little Battleship', good name for the new Jazz I like it!

WGB

My fuel consumption average is about 7.8 L/100km but that is all metro running - and in the hills at that. It has never been on a long country run to see what happens.

Unfortunately I have driven several C220CDI's over the same terrain and they have been returning 6.1 L/100km so that is what i have been comparing my Little honda with.

My Jazz was from a batch of Japanese manufactured cars that were imported following the floods in Thailand so that would explain why the colour is no longer available. I think the Thai Blue is duller than the Jap version.

There are advantages and disadvantages with the Jap assembled cars as I ordered mine with a centre armrest and side bump strips.

The side bump strips in the correct colour took some months to arrive(and are not shown in that early photo) and I was told the centre armrest could not be fitted as they could only supply the version for the Thai manufactured car.

A bit of googling soon produced the result that the US Honda "Fit" (as the Jazz is known outside the old Empire) is Japanese assembled so i ordered a centre armrest from a Honda Dealer in Michigan for $186 (vs the Oz price of $440) and fitted it myself. Perfect "Fit".

Anyway I still love my little Honda.

Bill

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, the little battleship has now traversed a bit over eight hundred kilometers in a fortnight, and today she is booked in with the dealers for the first monthly/1000 kms. service/check up. So, what is she like to drive, and do we think we have made the right choice ? Regarding the latter - yes, we have, as I really think, or get the impression, that we drive a larger car and if one parks her against some of the other "Minis", there is no doubt that she is bigger and more substantial - well, at least to look at. Also, we are happy with the choice of colour - if I may say so, subtly elegant, conservative, and nicely highlighted by the shine, and design, of the standard Honda Alloys. BTW, it is quite co-incidental that there is a Jazz exactly the same as Bill's just down the road from us.

Regarding driving impressions - it does pitch and patter a little on uneven or broken surfaces, but because it is expected, one tends to ignore that. However, I have found that by increasing the speed from a leisurely sixty to eighty (on the Cumberland Highway), the suspension seems to 'flatten out' to some degree and the ride becomes more comfortable. In any case, even at the worst of times, it is acceptable. Comparing the the ride with the much lamented Statesman, there is not a lot of difference. Suspension wise, that car left a little to be desired. May I also say one more thing: I sort of have been accused, or it has been intimated, that my judgement is somewhat jaundiced by whatever I may own - that is far from being the case. If anything, I am my own worst critic, even to a fault.

Now, as far as driving is concerned - the five speed Automatic, with some features I still have to elaborate on, and describe, features fairly prominently in the sales brochure. However, this has been my 'unusual' experience. Crossing the Hawkesbury bridge on the F3 and heading 'up that hill" towards Sydney, I was in top gear at about 100 kms/hr, and with its high gearing (about 45/1000rpm), and the little motor started to struggle to maintain the speed. So I pulled the gear lever (not the paddle) back to 'S' and naturally the box selected fourth(?) gear, but holding a steady throttle, the car automatically increased its speed by about ten kilometers an hour and made light work of the hill. I found that uncanny - does anyone have any comment about this type of feature or experience ?

Regarding fuel consumption with combined country and normal city driving (local running, and to Maroubra and back) is showing 6.3 liters/100 kms. They are very good figures as far as I am concerned. Hope that you guys find some interest in this. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Perhaps a brief uipdate may be in order. As mentioned in the earlier post, the initial 1000km/one month service has been carried out. There were no problems - well, certainly not as far as we know, and the service people washed the car and vacuumed the interior. As at today's date, the odometer is now showing a bit over 1400 kilometers, and yesterday (being Easter Saturday0, we went to see some friends at the Entrance. A two hundred kilometre round trip.

What can I report ? Firstly, I am still getting to know Little Miss Daisy (I call her my little battleship) - a name given to her by Julie, so I have to respect that. Getting to know her....well, yes. On the Freeway, it would seem that the little 1.3 litre engine is pulling almost, or about, fifty kilometers an hour in top gear. Compare that with forty for the 6.9 in the same rev range. Obviously, something has to give when you're in top gear and you start going uphill at the same time. The Autobox will quickly respond to slight depression of the accelerator pedal, and it will quite quickly pull back to third gear. That's when the engine starts to sound busy, or somewhat buzzy. Now, one needs to remember that maximum torque is attained at about 4400rpm, so is it any wonder that the engine starts to sign off when you're at 2000 rpm and travelling at 100 kms/hour. There's no torque as such.

That's when you need to start thinking. Firstly, take the little baby up to about 120-125 when approaching a steady incline, such as one encounters on the F3. This engine is a very happy little unit when STARTING to hit 120 and beyond - it just builds and builds momentum, and I believe 160 is easily attained.That however, is academic. So let's get back to 120 or so, and when the speed drops to a bit above 100, pull the paddle back one notch to fourth gear and I reckon she will just keep going and maintain 110. That's what I think. Also, at this stage, I have not used cruise control. That will be another experience, having regard to gear ratios and torque figures.

Otherwise, this little battleship is turning out to be quite a jewel. Very, very happy. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
In another thread, I have briefly queried the need to run in a modern engine. Whilst we have taken Little Miss Daisy (I do think it is a male :confused:) to The Entrance and also a short country trip to Springwood, and thence Winmalee, Richmond and back to Parramatta, neither of those two trips really involved prolonged high speed driving.

On The Entrance trip and going north, we used the Central Coast Highway with a coffee stop at East Gosford thrown in for good measure. Oh yes, we have also been to Peats Ridge for the Rolls Royce get together, but again I endeavoured to avoid constant high speed cruising. Any thoughts on this - I am talking about running in. In days gone by, it was recommended to let a car pull throught the gears with fairly frequent changes, and it was recommended not to engage in prolonged high speed driving. Do these recommendations apply to new, modern engines ? Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Please forgive me for logging the review as shown hereunder. I am being selfish about it, primarily as I want to retain details of various tests and summaries to establish a logbook type portfolio to be part of the car's service history.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/214274/honda-jazz-gli-review/

The summary is fairly interesting. It refers to a lively engine 'above 3500 rpm' and after some eighteen hundred kilometers, the engine feels a little more lively and responsive. BTW, her owner has come up with an exclusive name for the little car - DAISY - and Daisy it is from hereon in. Daisy differs a little from the review - she has a roof spoiler, plus proper Alloy wheels, albeit 15". Fuel consumption is quite exemplary unlike one of the tests that is not too kind on that aspect - Daisy never seems to vary much from about 6.6l/100 kms. I still haven't quite worked out how best to use the Automatic - for the time being, I'll let Daisy do her own thing. Thanks for bearing with me. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I am now able to add a little more to the story of "Daisy". She has now had her second service (12 months) with a mileage reading of 14K. kilometers at a cost of $290.00, which included engine oil, engine oil filter and particle filter, plus, I guess, a NORMAL routine check of componentry.

Daisy has been absolutely trouble free - not one single item being troublesome. I had also noticed that the engine seemed to be more willing to accelerate, and I would put this down to the motor loosening up nicely with the increased mileage since new. In addition, fuel consumption on a recent trip to the Central Coast improved to 46.6 mpg, or 6.1l./100 mms. Just a brief word about the cruise control feature. If for argument you set it to 110kms., and once you start to go down inclines which would increase the speed of the car, the Honda maintains the set speed by actually changing down a gear, or possibly two. Thus, the Auto changes down to fourth, perhaps third, to hold the speed at 110. This of course results in higher rpms. With a corresponding increase in fuel usage, I suspect. Thus, nowadays, when approaching downhill sections, I disable the cruise control. Anyway, the improvement in consumption is interesting and, of course, readily accepted.

If there is one aspect that could be criticised, one could find fault with the lack of torque. Mind you , though, this is something that one has to expect from 1.3 litres engine capacity, and Hondas have always been known to thrive on revs. I suspect that the Jazz engine is part of that tradition. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If for argument you set it to 110kms., and once you start to go down inclines which would increase the speed of the car, the Honda maintains the set speed by actually changing down a gear, or possibly two. Thus, the Auto changes down to fourth, perhaps third, to hold the speed at 110. This of course results in higher rpms. With a corresponding increase in fuel usage, I suspect. Thus, nowadays, when approaching downhill sections, I disable the cruise control. Anyway, the improvement in consumption is interesting and, of course, readily accepted.
Regards Styria

Godfather,
If you are driving an old car with a carburator, then engine braking will use fuel.
If you have a computerised fuel injected car (like Miss Daisy), then the computer will detect the engine braking condition and shut the fuel off.

Don't worry about fuel consumption, worry about wearing the pads out.

260ebenz

Master
Sounds like 'Driving Miss Daisy', sorry old joke!
;)

Wear out the brake pads Godfather anyhow the Jazz looks very smart enjoy the car!

sean sherry

Master
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/active-cylinder-technology-ac

Why did you not listen to me Styria ? and buy a MK V11 Golf. $23k on road.
Strong Torque via the Turbo from 1500RPM on. 7 lt/ 100ks round the Suburbs and 5.5 out of Town. ... A 6 speed manual
Michael is right about the Brake Pads though. With cylinder deactivation in the Golf there is a distinct lack of Engine Braking. See the link. I do know the Honda is a fine product, a friend has a seven year old Accord that still drives as well as the Day it left the Factory. Happy Motoring.... Sean

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks Sean. I guess you summed it up quite well when you referred to the reliability aspect of your friend's Honda Accord. That was one of the most important aspects that we were hoping for - reliability. Additionally, the price of the Golf would have been just that much more than the Jazz, even at your great drive-away price.

I understand that the Jazz represents somewhat old tech engineering but that aspect is acceptable. Furthermore, Julie cannot handle a manual transmission car as well as one would wish, and I presume that an Automatic version of the Golf will add an extra $2K. onto the purchase price. However, I am glad that you are enjoying the Golf - as I said, the 4 cyl. Diesel Turbo version was quite a goer. Regards. Styria

sean sherry

Master
Turbo Diesel Golf is a revelation. Picked up one 4 years ago at Heathrow Air Port and driving round the perimeter Road from Europe Car, I thought I had an Alfa by mistake. Drove it 1..3...5 through the gears every day. Pulled like a Train returning 60/70 MPG. The best Diesel I have ever driven.

Sean

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Turbo Diesel Golf is a revelation. Picked up one 4 years ago at Heathrow Air Port and driving round the perimeter Road from Europe Car, I thought I had an Alfa by mistake. Drove it 1..3...5 through the gears every day. Pulled like a Train returning 60/70 MPG. The best Diesel I have ever driven.

Sean

Sean, those consumption figures are astonishing. Certainly, the three year old Golf I drove about one month ago had that absolutely seamless acceleration. I found the ride a bit 'jiggly', but acceptable. The car sold for $17K., which was the dealer's price the previous owner had been offered. Apparently, when new back in '11, it was priced at about $32K. My contact had bought it for $13K. Thus, when one looks at new price, and the 'sold' price of $17K., that represents a huge drop over three years. Maybe, from that aspect, Golfs are not a good car to buy - what do you think ? Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sean, those consumption figures are astonishing. Certainly, the three year old Golf I drove about one month ago had that absolutely seamless acceleration. I found the ride a bit 'jiggly', but acceptable. The car sold for $17K., which was the dealer's price the previous owner had been offered. Apparently, when new back in '11, it was priced at about $32K. My contact had bought it for $13K. Thus, when one looks at new price, and the 'sold' price of $17K., that represents a huge drop over three years. Maybe, from that aspect, Golfs are not a good car to buy - what do you think ? Regards Styria
No worse than other new car depreciation really - and second hand prices have been cruelled by some new models selling for less than the model they replace.
It's only horse trading - nothing more and nothing less. Well, it's probably evenly less sophisticated than the camel markets of Oman ...:eek:
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Well Styria, nothing is a good buy as Brian points out, and one of the worst offenders is Mercedes.
When the tide goes out all Boats are stranded.
Sean

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Subsequent to the purchase of the Honda, I did quite a bit of research on the net to see what information was available regarding possible problems of reliability, and owners' experiences of actual ownership and driving experiences. Most reviews are favourable - one aspect that seems to have slight issues is the CVT transmission. Luckily enough, Julie's car is fitted with a conventional 5 speed Auto, and it also has disc brakes to the rear wheels, and the car receives most praise for its versatility as far as passenger and luggage space is concerned.

The Company has now its 2015 model Honda Fit (American version) on display, and whilst there have been some changes, in the overall context they are fairly small and, luckily enough, the overall shape has not changed all that much. Surely, that has to be a small bonus when it comes to resale values in due course ? Here's hoping. Below, please find the latest review conducted in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgLA14KavtM

Regards Styria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwKgKunkAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_j0CgGxlQ

N.B. Apologies for 'flooding' the thread - carried out purely for future reference purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044H7JUdWpU

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My sister has a fully specced Honda Civic sedan 2009 - she has now done 150,000 ks in it and the only repair apart from routine servicing has been one rear shock absorber. No electronic gremlins, no glitches with the auto transmission, all window switches work - and there are no groans from the body at all - not bad considering the roads where she lives. That must say a lot about the integrity of the manufacturing and initial design. Yes, it is boring as can be but then she has her Morris Minor for when she wants to live dangerously ... actually, it's not a bad car; rack and pinion steering and quite chuckable on the dirt roads; just don't expect it to stop when you brake ...
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Interesting about the Morris Minor Brian, as I started my apprenticeship on them in 1950 ( Ireland ) They were a revelation on roadholding at the time as most other offerings were all based on pre war designs with cart spring suspensions....... The brakes..... most push bikes had larger brake shoes !
Sean

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it's been almost three years since Julie's little Honda Jazz has made the pages of TK. The odometer is now showing just shy of 50K. kilometers and I am privileged to relate, that not a single item on the car has required attention. Absolutely perfect, and the mechanics just down from where we live, keep on reminding me that it is still like a new car. High praise indeed, but I can relate that the car has only seen rain and a wet road about half a dozen times in the last four years.

To my eyes, it is still very smart and modern looking and it is my considered opinion that it has better features than the latest Jazz offering from Honda. Alloy wheels as distinct from steel and hubcaps, rear spoiler on roof, disc brakes all round, as distinct from drums at the rear, repeater flashers incorporated as part of the side mirrors and, quite importantly, it is of genuine Japanese manufacture, and not Thailand as the latest model. As well, and I have mentioned this previously, a normal five speed Automatic rather than the dubious CVT arrangement as in the latest offering from Honda. If there is one aspect that could be criticised it is the size of the engine - 1.3 litres as compared to 1.5 that was available in 2013, but honestly the little car has never been revved past 3000rpm. As well, it has paddle shifters as standard.

The car is now no longer serviced by the Honda Dealers - servicing is being entrusted to the mechanical workshop down the road. Half price at about $160.00, and that includes genuine Honda parts and five litres of full synthetic engine oil supplied by myself, but the cost of that is included in the quoted figure of $160.00. Our experience with the Dealer that the car was bought from was less than satisfactory. Mentioned it previously - probably cleaned with a Gurney, leaving smear marks all over the car - I don't think they bothered to dry the car with a chamois, yet the car was handed to them spotlessly clean. Ironically, we received an email from the dealership just two days ago, offering a 5% discount and free wiper blades. Where have you been, we haven't seen you for at least twelve months........ It was one of those emails that did not offer a reply facility, and past dealings have clearly proved that there is absolutely no communication between Service and the Retail arm of the dealership.

Can I recommend the Honda ? Without reservation - it may not be the latest, nor the greatest, but by golly it takes a lot of beating. Regards Styria