Honda NSX- Giugaro Jaguar-First Ferrari

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
All of these, classics in their own time, should be remembered for their desirability and classic status.

Attachments

• HONDA NSX.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Giugiaro's Jaguar.pdf
    761.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Horse Sense - Your first FERRARI.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, somehow slow getting back to this Jaguar and your reply. It is an excellent video, isn't it ? Somehow, contrary to some write-ups, I find the styling very much to my liking. If it is better than genuine Jaguar, I wouldn't like to say - it is just so very different and, of course, a fairly typical Giugiaro design of that period. As some said, the styling reminded them of one of the Buick cars. Le Sabre ? Maybe, but not a lot wrong to the styling of that car. I'd be happy to have that Jaguar in my garage - very unusual and nowadays exclusive. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Also, getting back to the Honda NSX. How many have we seen one lately, in real life ? I saw one maybe two to three years ago, but I have forgotten where. I thought at the time what a magnificent car. Nowadays, absolute collector's value. I found this advertisement of one for sale, presumably back in 2008 - I thought it worthwhile posting just in deference to the excellent pictures, if nothing else. Surely, this car, or the NSX full stop, represent the ultimate by way of Supercars at a sensible price - when compared to Ferrari, Mercedes et al. Regards Styria

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/honda-nsx/honda-nsxs-for-sale-1282.0.html

In addition, there are three presently for sale on Carsguide, CarSales......

http://www.carsguide.com.au/buy-a-c...rchTypes=419&gclid=CIiAk6DVorYCFUs5pgodpGUAlw

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
There is no doubt the NSX was a fine feat of enginering and certainly more reliable than its Italian competition - and probably a lot easier to live with on a daily basis. Would I own one? Yes, its within my budget but there is still some magic missing - maybe the whole car is let down by a boring interior?
Regards,
Brian

A

Afro107

As much as I like the classic 80's NSX and I admire that 25 years later the car still looks modern, for me, NSX lacks that x-factor Italian rust buckets have in bucketloads, so to say.
Not only that, auto gearbox and "ricer" surfboard on the bootlid are a major turnoff on MY desirability checklist. Definitely not a "competition" to Ferari's and Porsche's in spite of Kevin Radley's daydreams in the "Counterpoint" chapter.

BUT, mind you, all of previous is not a sign that I disagree or dispute classic status and grace that comes from standing the time test. Au-contraire! Its just a matter of taste.

Fortunately, the fashion of 80's did not have prevailing influence on car design of the era. Judging from the "Margaret Thatcher" hairstyle in the "Horse Sense" last page, if cars of 80's looked the same, they'd be scary ;)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Afro107, good to get your input. You are so damned correct with just about everything you have brought up - or are you correct ? :D The Automatics of the Riceburners, and the go-faster rear deck spoiler are just about mandatory nowadays, aren't they ? So maybe the Honda people did get it right at the time ?...remember, twenty five years ago - it's got to mean something.

Of course, let us be sure of one facet that, as a rule, you can't buy - and that is heritage and tradition. However, look at it this way - had you fifty thousand to spend on a "Supercar", could you buy that Honda NSX ? Surely the Honda name, with its racing successes in both cars and motorbikes, nowadays has to be worth something. ....by way of heritage. Regards Styria

A

Afro107

Hi Afro107, good to get your input. You are so damned correct with just about everything you have brought up - or are you correct ? :D The Automatics of the Riceburners, and the go-faster rear deck spoiler are just about mandatory nowadays, aren't they ? So maybe the Honda people did get it right at the time ?...remember, twenty five years ago - it's got to mean something.

Of course, let us be sure of one facet that, as a rule, you can't buy - and that is heritage and tradition. However, look at it this way - had you fifty thousand to spend on a "Supercar", could you buy that Honda NSX ? Surely the Honda name, with its racing successes in both cars and motorbikes, nowadays has to be worth something. ....by way of heritage. Regards Styria

I hope we talk about taste rather than right or wrong?
Because my writing is not about "correct / incorrect".

Would I buy NSX?
If the price was right and money was there, I would, no second thoughts.
Just mostly for different reasons.

I find it to be a pitty that Asian car manufacturers produced a lot of great cars and then they had them repudiated once they reached the EOL.