Purchase of new honda jazz

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As most of you know, sadly the Statesman has to make way for the "Jazz". It's been coming for twelve months, and I have been able to resist the pressure, but just the other day I decided to fall in line with the 'SHE' who must be obeyed. As referred to in another thread, this comingTuesday is change-over. The dealers today appraised the car and gave it a clean bill of health. However, please somebody - buy this cracking good car off us. The specifications are almost perfect, we have the original Sales Document and plenty of invoices regarding parts and services.

So, that brings us to the Jazz. For some 12 months, it had been Yaris, Yaris, Yaris, and no, no, no - until she looked at one closely a few weeks ago and herself decided and admitted that the Interior looked nasty. I had no trouble going along with that assessment. So then it became the Mazda 2. Very cute little car (she thought), but I have never been enamored by its 'small size' and somewhat radical styling - nose down, back up, I am sure you know what I mean. I managed to drag her away from a possible signature there and then (last weekend), as I wanted to have a look at the new Ford Fiesta (some great reviews), the Hyundai i20 and i30 (Michel gives Hyundai a clean bill of health - and I do listen to him) and also the Jazz (the name is a bit Ho-Hum), because I had some favourable reports, especially from a young woman that I approached for details on the day we were waiting at the Twin Service Station for participants to arrive for the Oberon trip. She reckoned that in almost 300K. kilometers, the car has never missed a beat. Extraordinary ! Hope she was right.

Anyway, we never got to see any of the others, despite my urgings to keep looking. Thus, what made me fall in line with the Honda ? First of all, size. Physically perhaps just a little larger than the others - in fact, it reminds me very much of the original A - Class Mercedes.. Just that much more car around you, and the styling is not 'radical' - like the Mazda 2, to some extent the Fiesta (side on view) and the Hyundai - not all that pretty. Also, the new i30's rear hatch treatment is much like the Fiest's. The Focus - very nice, but just a bit too expensive. Okay, back to the Honda. Here I will give you a peep at the exact same car Julie is purchasing, save for the colour. It is called "Polished Metal".

http://www.drive.com.au/common/imag...del=JAZZ&caryear=2013&pt=Classifieds&index=18

In keeping with its competitors, the specifications are quite 'generous'. Cruise Control, the folding mirrors incorporating Indicators, steering wheel paddles for the gearbox, five speed Automatic, really nice looking Alloys, a get-you-home spare wheel (yes !), fantastic versatility as far as seating is concerned and (among other specs.) last, but not least, Honda Engineering integrity - in addition, this Honda Jazz was built in Japan. I will keep you guys posted in due course about further observations and assessments. Regards Styria

N.B. Click onto "AUTOPLAY" to see the full set of pictures, and specifications in detail.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Congratulations Styria and Mrs Styria on the new baby...;)

260ebenz

Master
To Mr. and Mrs.Styria congrats on the purchase of the Jazz.

Polished Metal nice colour Styria!

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Michel - thank you. I do think she will be happy with the car. I suspect I will be too - if I want any motoring kicks, I'll hop into Gleaming Beauty, and press the loud pedal.

BenzBoy, thanks for bringing up that colour. We picked from another Honda sitting in the rain at the dealer's (it may have been a Civic), so we've never seen a Jazz in the Polished Metal colour. I just showed your pic. to Julie - she is ever so grateful and really loves the colour.

Timmy, thanks very much. We did prefer the Polished Metal over the other colours. Light Silver - a little boring, the Green too froggy and way out, the Blue somewhat 'making your eyes sore', and the Red ? Nice, but I worry about its survival rate in the harsh Australian sun. So, Polished Metal it was....and I do think it lends substance to the car, and dare I say a degree of handsomeness - new word. :confused: Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Congrats and enjoy the Honda, looks good in that colour.

Thanks for your kind words, Helmet. Another plus with this colour is that it does not show dirt easily. BTW, did you have a look at my original post with the selection of a number of pictures, and did you take note of the quite impressive list of advanced standard features? I was more than a little impressed. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Michel - thank you. I do think she will be happy with the car. I suspect I will be too - if I want any motoring kicks, I'll hop into Gleaming Beauty, and press the loud pedal.

BenzBoy, thanks for bringing up that colour. We picked from another Honda sitting in the rain at the dealer's (it may have been a Civic), so we've never seen a Jazz in the Polished Metal colour. I just showed your pic. to Julie - she is ever so grateful and really loves the colour.

Timmy, thanks very much. We did prefer the Polished Metal over the other colours. Light Silver - a little boring, the Green too froggy and way out, the Blue somewhat 'making your eyes sore', and the Red ? Nice, but I worry about its survival rate in the harsh Australian sun. So, Polished Metal it was....and I do think it lends substance to the car, and dare I say a degree of handsomeness - new word. :confused: Regards Styria

Should bring the Jazz and GB to the Motorfest Styria?

I have seen quite a few Honda's and also the Jazz model on display, so the Jazz would be right at home amongst the other wonderful Honda's.

Strong opinion Honda do make good quality cars YES that's right a Mercedes owner/enthusiast just said that!

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Like all cars ( and women) they need to be serviced properly and regularly.
If you don't do that , it will be expensive and break down (like women).

I am 100 % sure that the Jazz will give you the same reliability as the Jazz that belonged to the rather attractive you lady you spoke to at the Twin Servos on the M4.

I know. I saw you having quite a conversation with her.
You won't forget THAT, now that I have reminded you!

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I am well aware that my mechanical knowledge and equipment do not extend to the servicing of modern technologies encompassed by today's cars. I certainly see no alternative, but to have Honda service the car. I have done quite a bit of research on the Internet, and generally the Jazz receives favourable reviews in a number of areas. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Some interesting things can happen with modern electronic cars.

My son was on the road in his car and it just stopped, and simply refused to start again. He rang the dealer on his mobile, who suggested that he ring the manufacturer's representative in Australia, and explain the problem.
He downloaded some new engine management software on his phone, and pressed a keyed instruction into the car's software port.

The car started immediately, and he drove home without any further attention from that day to this. He was delayed by less than half an hour.

Remote electronic side of the road repair, I guess!

The car? Peugeot 206. Why should a new Jazz not have this facility?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, I'll start this reply again - it's just so frustrating when you have typed a couple of paragraphs and the computer freezes, and you are unable to retrieve what you have already typed. Anyway....anyway, we collected the little Jazz Vibe by way of our Statesman last Tuesday afternoon gone. I have to admit to feeling somewhat sad to see that baby parked at the kerb when we drove out with the Honda - that car was a great car, beautifully finished inside, acres of space in the back and boot, and plenty of smooth, uninterrupted power from 5.7 liters of Chevy Gen III V8. It was a staunch servant for seventy thousand kilometers.

Anyway, what of the Jazz Vibe you may well ask ? We had never seen the Jazz in that Polished Metal colour, but when we arrived, and seeing the 'little baby' looking absolutely resplendent in that colour, all shiny and new, it really got to Julie. She was over the moon, and I think I wasn't too far behind her. That lovely quite dark metallic silver was was really enhanced by the splendid looking Alloys, hiding reasonably generous sized disc brake calipers.

HondaJazz012_zpsbbe707af.jpg

So, what is it that we like about this Honda Jazz Vibe - to give it its proper title. Many of the features I have already touched upon, but the first task is to look at the exterior. First of all, large indicator incorporated, electric folding exterior mirrors - the quality is immediately evident.

HondaJazz005_zpsee92fd88.jpg

Well, I apologize, Photobucket (cranky puss that it can be) will not let me show the photo of the mirror at this stage. Thus what you see is a clever application of shaping panel lines, shape of boot and rear glass and the black highlight together with the roof spoiler. Some of those features represent an 'update' on the earlier models, and I really think that Honda have achieved their target to modernize the looks of what is now an essentially oldish model. We also like and appreciate the fairly 'largish' exterior size of the car, when compared with some of the other 'small' hatchbacks. The benefit of additional head and legroom, and larger boot, are immediately obvious.

HondaJazz009_zpsc3470167.jpg

We used to have that beautiful quality Mitsubishi boot mat in the Statesman - nothing wrong with having it perform the same useful function in the boot of the Jazz. The next feature, and still sticking to the exterior, are the slight swage lines alongside the whole sides of the car - not immediately obvious, but they are there, Plus the shape and generous size of lights front and rear. Pictures to follow - Photobucket is just frustrating at the moment. Regards Styria - Don't want to lose what I have written so far.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Another try at Photobucket. Front light beautifully crafted, with intricate parking light built in.

HondaJazz010_zps805f1897.jpg

The large rear lights the same - generous in size, beautifully crafted.

HondaJazz013_zps31cc9f46.jpg

As I have indicated, some quite intricate swage lines have been introduced, and whilst they do not 'scream at you', they are there nevertheless and all they do is actually improve what could be considered a difficult shape to enhance or beautify (all my opinions, of course, SILLY).

HondaJazz011_zps6d1d0582.jpg

When I talk about subtly accentuated swage lines, I'd refer you to some of the new small C-Class Coupes - and even an E-Class - both models exhibiting huge, downward facing swage lines from rear to front which, in my opinion, do little, even nothing, for the side profile of the car - especially when viewed from the rear at an angle of app. forty five degrees.

So, that covers the exterior. In my opinion, combining size and body design features, there is little that will compare with this little Honda. Mazda 2 - too radical and due for an update, i30 and i20 - not too bad, especially the rear treatment of the njust released i30. I think the Honda has the edge in interior space and versatility. Kia Rio - nice dash, somewhat smaller. Toyota Yaris - forget it. Ford Fiesta - very, very nicely styled, has some terrific reviews, a bit smaller but initially my first choice. Built in Thailand ? Yes. Honda - this one - built in Japan ? Yes. Oh yes, Hyundai Getz - nicely shaped, good 1.6 engine, but just that bit too small.

Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I guess I should have known that, usually sooner or later, Photobucket will come to the party. In this instance, I am now able to illustrate my sentiments about the exterior mirrors - large size, body coloured as two different units, and the built in indicators.

HondaJazz003_zpsd6625495.jpg

Front doors are wide opening (rear ones not quite so) and they close with a satisfying, but totally subdued, clonk - a la Audi, or bank vault - whatever.

HondaJazz002_zps41efa771.jpg

WGB

Good choice of car Styria.

Here is the little Jazz my late wife and I purchased last year in April - she chose the colour.

HondaJazz_zpsf3bab64d.png

It was purchased because the second garage in our town house is only 4 metres long and we could only park one big car off road at a time.

15,000km and never missed a beat. At the first service the filter change was a $27 optional extra and the service manger was mystified that I actually requested him to do it so I assume it is unusual to request it.

My criticisms of the car are that the headlights need to be manually turned off when the ignition is turned off (rare these days with new cars) and that the fuel consumption up and down the hills here is a bit ordinary but then mine is a 1500 with 5 speed automatic (The late "she who must be obeyed" would not allow a manual which was my preference) but the auto is actually quite good.

In this day and age bluetooth streaming of music from your smartphone would be a nice addition to the standard fitted Phone Bluetooth and wired ipod connection but maybe that is being a little picky.

I drive most of my round town mileage in my little Jazz and it is quite an impressive little drive on the twisty bits.

Bil.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, it's good to get your opinion on the little Honda - I did a fair bit of reading on the net about the older models, and general consensus seemed to give the car a clean bill of health. There was some criticism of high Honda servicing costs, and also the CVT transmission in some of the models was found to be somewhat unwanted by some owners.

Your car pictured is fitted with the larger engine, but I am not sure if this would account for your 'Ho Hum' fuel consumption - quite often, a larger engine will provide you with better fuel economy because the engine doesn't have to work as hard. We took our little baby for a 140 kilometer drive on Saturday, going up to Springwood in the lower Blue Mountains range, and then across to Agnes Banks and Richmond, and back to Parramatta, and the consumption worked out to 6.7l./100kms, or 42.something in the old imperial terms. I thought that was more than fair with a tight, new engine. Did not use the paddle shifters at any time, but the little car (that title seems to be so appropriate) does change back to the next lower gear without a lot of prompting - but not enough to be a nuisance.

Presently, it would appear that the colour chosen by your wife is no longer available - well, at least I don't think so, and the Alloys are a slightly different design. Other than that, the cars seem identical. BTW, you speak of Bluetooth etc. etc. There is a Bluetooth facility with switches on the 'A' pillar, and there is also a USB cable connected to the system. Is this what you are talking about - does your car not have that or are you talking about additional features that you would have liked to have in your car ? Anyway, it's good to get such an excellent report from you. BTW, those terms of endearment - little car, little baby (on my part), little Honda - they just seem to fit the car so well. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
To get back to the summary of this little Honda, I'd like to talk a little about the interior. It is a very agreeable place to be in - comfortable, well supportive seats, and clearly legible, but fairly simple instruments. All controls are at your fingertips as one would expect from new cars nowadays, and it has cruise contol, electrically adjustable mirrors, and well designed and easily controlled switch gear.

HondaJazz006_zps59a73551.jpg

HondaJazz004_zps8386e74f.jpg

Air conditioning can be adjusted to suit individual requirements, more than likely a routine feature nowadays. One aspect that is particularly welcome is the large distance between front seats and the bottom of the front screen - it really makes this Honda a much larger car to be in, and this impression is further enhanced by the small additional side windows next to the dash. The steering wheel can be adjusted for both reach and height, it has audio controls on the steering wheel (in leather, as is the gearknob), and of course it has the plus and minus gearchange paddles. Plenty of good lighting and courtesy mirrors on both sides, and all in all, this little car (bigger than most minis !) is well equipped and a nice place to be in. Incidentally, I believe the instrument lighting is 'on' at all times, but the intensity of the lighting reduces automatically at night when the headlights are switched on - to stop instrument glare.

Driving wise, the suspension is firm, but not uncomfortable, and tyre rumble is present on certain surfaces. Again, not overly so. Last but not least, I do believe in the Honda product, with its perceived integrity of development, and quality of manufacture. In the end, the choice was easy and seems to be well deserved. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice pics Godfather.

Heartfelt congratulations.:D

260ebenz

Master
Good morning Styria what is the Jazz's fuel consumption like?

I am impressed with the Jazz and Honda do have a good name for making good cars.