Progress on the 300TE AMG3.6

More threads by s class

s class

Well, this is what's been keeping me out of mischief, and away from the W116's :

This car came to me with a variety of problems. It has been in a front end accident, but aside from that there are some cosmetic issues as well :

I've started on the dent in the rear quarter, and I sourced, prepped and painted a replacement door moulding for the left rear :

DSC00029.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

The interior is grubby but otherwise OK. I've pulled out the audio sustem and prehistoric hands-free phone kit. THe phone kit weights a fair amount.

I am doing a stealth audio install with amps probably under the seats, and subs in the rear, all very discrete.

DSCN1456.jpg

DSCN1467.jpg

The factory speakers were either missing, or knackered like this one.

Nice Polk coax'es going in their place.

DSCN1468.jpg

OP
s class

s class

The alternator was screwed, so I procured and then fitted this item of beauty :

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

Other work has begun in the engine bay. The old battery had leaked out and made a hell of a mess. I'm stripping, cleaning and repainting in there. The battery tray has been blasted and powder coated.

DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1328.jpg

OP
s class

s class

I'm also replacing brake flex hoses, and bleeding out the system.

The exhaust is rotten - very. Its being replaced with a custom big bore system. I'm just concerned about the tips - the drooping pair of ovals is such a trade mark of the W124 AMG's, that anything else would be just WRONG.

DSCN1331.jpg

OP
s class

s class

The 17" AMG splits go in next week for refurbishing. Three of them are really not bad, but the 4th one has a bodged prior repair. Really poor. After that, some nice Bridgestone Potenza 235/45ZR17's are coming......yummy.

DSC00033.jpg

DSCN1322.jpg

OP
s class

s class

NOw the fuel system is an interesting one. THis car had suffered from fuel starvation issues when it last ran. We have discovered that the fuel tank (wagon specific - mounted below the load-bin floor), is crushed on its upper side. It appears it was swapped with one from another car (ie the original, good, tank was stolen) when some body repairs were done some years ago. The damage in the tank is not visible when its installed. The damage is so bad the level sender was crushed, and the internal plastic baffling broken up, and pieces blocking the outlet. Additionally, there was some funnies with the way the breather system was plumbed. I'm rebuilding the whole fuel system with new hoses throughout. I was very lucky to procure a good used tank.

DSCN1333.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

116Benz

Ahhhhh that brings back memories of when I had a 300TE. The back door speakers were integrated with the armrest, painfull to get at but when the system was finished it was awesome. Good luck with it, looks like a fun project.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mate.... how's your immigration application going.... ;)

I am going to make sure you move into a house very close to my place...

You can have use of my workshop and all the equipment.. :p

That work is fascinating ;)

OP
s class

s class

Michel, I may just take you up on that offer.....

The emigration application just takes time. I'm busy compiling everything I need to have my skills/qualifications approved by the Aus engineering board at the moment. I haven't had a lot of time, as I'm wrapping things up at my job here - I move employment next Tuesday...

OP
s class

s class

Des these rims are very light for a 17" size. The one was damaged in a pothole incident I believe. That I believe produced the typical bend in the lip. The waviness you see in the photo was introduced by the ham fisted individuals who 'repaired' the original damage. I have a specialst crowd here who will attempt to repair it properly.