• Boot seal channel de-rusted
  • Tail light surrounds de-rusted
  • Dodgy electricals in boot fixed
  • Sunroof frame and matching areas in car roof de-rusted
  • New tail-light seals
  • New sunroof seals
  • New sunroof feet / sliding jaws
  • Sunroof works!
  • Power windows fixed (clean and grease - only a quick job)
  • New internal door handles in both front doors - the old ones had cracked frames on both sides
  • New ceiling trim (thanks to Cam's racer)
  • All ceiling-related trim bits cleaned
  • Rust in RHS rear door seal areas treated, new door seal

There are still the 2 leaks - one oil and one hydro - but it's going to go for RWC soon, and to a mechanic straight after if it fails. If it passes, I'll attack the leaks in slow time and once I have a better place to work on them.

Photos from recent activity:

Rust in RHS rear door, usually obscured by the seal
2008-08-17Mercedes6900.png

Rust in the mid-way point of the door - no idea why it rusts here, but there is a join in the metal, so that's possibly why.
2008-08-17Mercedes6901.png

Sunroof with it's new feet / sliding jaws:
2008-08-17Mercedes6902.png

While dismantling the door linings, noticed that both doors had tears in the internal sheet metal, near and probably due to the flexing caused by the metal arm thingo that stops you opening the door too far. Has anyone else seen this?

Door insides are pretty ratty in general - leaning towards stripping them all back, welding cracks, rebuild power window lifters, respray, etc.

Lukas

SELfor50

Nice list of work done so far Lukas!!

I have a similar problem on my canary yellow fordedes... the door seems to open a little wider than supposed to, but I've never investigated. Are you gonna have a crack at doing the doors yourself?

If you want a couple doors to practise on, I got a couple spare front doors sitting at my parents house. Let us know..

Cam2. :)

WGB

Nice list of work done so far Lukas!!

I have a similar problem on my canary yellow fordedes... the door seems to open a little wider than supposed to, but I've never investigated. Are you gonna have a crack at doing the doors yourself?

If you want a couple doors to practise on, I got a couple spare front doors sitting at my parents house. Let us know..

Cam2. :)

The door check is a very complicated cast pot-metal arrangements that breaks up and allows the inside roller part of the arm to contact and stress the door itself as well as not hold the door open under it's own power.

Easily removed from inside the door with three countersunk screws removed and hinge pin removed from quarter pillar.

Fortunately the rears are the same component and these are usually intact so there should be plenty of spares.

Bill