My Phantom II Continental

More threads by BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, Not only am I looking forward to the Rolls Royce Owners Club concours d'elegance this coming Sunday, but also I would like to have another proper, and searching (!) look at your Gurney Nutting. I know she is worth a lot of money, and I also know that you are quite rightly proud of her, and maybe it is not such a bad thing if you cannot find her sister car.

I will say, and this is not meant to be derogatory, that the colour scheme of black and maroon, are somewhat austere to look at, especially when compared alongside some of the offerings found by Motec 6.9, but I guess that's the way she was built and you are trying to keep her original. I am glad the tyres aren't whitewall as, somehow, they just would not look right. As I said, please do not take offence - you know very well how much I admire Rolls Royces and Bentleys. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Dear Mr P - you did not read the fine print alongside the first photo!! 118PY was repainted in the early 1970s by the then owner in Oxblood and Black. In due course it will be returned to the original colour scheme. I have original paint chips and original carpet for the correct colours and when it is re-trimmed it will be done by Parks.
Of course you are welcome to have another look at it but it will not be at the Concours on Sunday as I have official duties to do and will arrive in the Spirit as below:

RRSilverSpirit008-1.png

Don't forget it was J Gurney Nutting who built Sir Malcolm Campell's1932 Bluebird shortly before building my Phantom:

the_wheel_of_the__Bluebird__with_crowd_1926_-_1936.png

Regards,
Brian
Brian

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
....ah Professor, I thought I could detect some resemblance in styling......:confused: (In hiding now, as I don't want to get a hiding). I am indeed so sorry that you're not bringing the old 'Nutter" - would have loved to have seen it. Regards Styria

BTW, why is it called a 'Continental' ?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The Continental was probably Royce's last personal project before he passed on and he did it despite opposition from the sales department who wanted R-R to continue building mostly limousines.
The Continental was designed for the owner driver:
Shorter wheel base.
Stiffer springing with hydraulic shock absorbers adjustable from the steering wheel. Modifications to self-lubrication system.
Different rake to steering column and sprung Dover steering wheel.
Different cam profile for faster acceleration.
Higher compression.
Unique twin-flow exhaust system.
Dual ignition. 2 plugs per cylinder and abilty to run on battery or magneto or battery and magneto.
Faster gear ratios.
Higher ratio rear axle for long distance touring on the Continent.
Lower body height and rear passengers located ahead of rear axle for better weight distribution.
Out of 1680 PIIs made, 278 were Continentals. Each was tested for its ability to cruise at 100 mph before being warranted.
Somewhat like to 6.9 is to the 450.
Regards,
Brian

WiSeGuYY

Hi PROFESSOR , VERY nice specimen of life time innovation and well kept rare treasure. but have few questions
1- why you want to turn it back to gray?
2- is it built for barclays as in barclays bank ?
3- any info why in 70's they change the color to oxblood at first?
4- why you want to find a sister of her if you know that there where 278 built and god knows how many are still around?

P.S the spirit is very pritty too but that OXBLOOD is rare find , very unique.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi PROFESSOR , VERY nice specimen of life time innovation and well kept rare treasure. but have few questions
1- why you want to turn it back to gray?
2- is it built for barclays as in barclays bank ?
3- any info why in 70's they change the color to oxblood at first?
4- why you want to find a sister of her if you know that there where 278 built and god knows how many are still around?

P.S the spirit is very pritty too but that OXBLOOD is rare find , very unique.

REGARDS

TAREK
Tarek,
1. In time I will return the PII to its original colour just because it will be original.
2. Jack Barclay was the sales agent in London and he had it built for a client in Liverpool.
3. No idea.
4. I want to find the sister car as it was restored in California in the 1970s using photos of mine as a basis - it is not exactly the same and I want to discover any differences inthe coach work. Most Continentals are still on the road and in use. Nearly 90% of all Rolls-Royces ever built are still in use. The value is high enough to make it worth restoring them.
5. The Spirit is Dark Oyster - Oxblood is a fairly common colour for older English cars here in Australia and I would prefer a lighter colour. My preferred colour would be metallic orange and dark silver grey.
Regards,
Brian