motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian I am glad you liked it . Stunning looking I think . :D

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Glad I could help with my search for 136PY you have a stack of pictures. Unfortunately that car is missing but let us know what chassis you are after. :D

Styria

The Godfather
Amelia Island always has its share of quite magnificent cars. However, I still maintain that many are over-restored, starting with those huge whitye wall tyres. Look at some of the cars from the '30s, particularly in genuine old timer and original photographs, you can really attain the atmosphere of what things were really like in those days. The mood is much more sombre, more mundane, more authentic....... Regards Styria

N.B. This is one car that's done the concours circuit. I really don't know what to make of it - sure enough, well, it's different but, again, it has those quite unsuitable white wall tyres.

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Unsuitable for a European owned car Styria . Durring 20s and early 30s Rolls Royces were made in US and it was standard at the time for white walls to be fitted so correct for US delivery.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Unsuitable for a European owned car Styria . Durring 20s and early 30s Rolls Royces were made in US and it was standard at the time for white walls to be fitted so correct for US delivery.
Between 1919 and 1931 Ghosts and then Phantoms were made in Derby UK and shipped to Springfield in the US for completion using American bodies and trim. The cars left the Derby works as chassis and engine only and the US version was basically the same with some minor variations in wheelbase and the use of a three-speed gearbox instead of the four-speed - and using a centre shift.
It is important to emphasise that all mechanical parts were made at the Derby factory and not in Springfield. Naturally, a Springfield car would be dressed using whatever was fashionable in America at the time, hence the tyres.
However, the car in question is a J Gurney-Nutting so it was bodied in the UK. Is it over-restored? Hard to tell just from photos. Remember that originally it would have been hand painted using a paint brush and lacquer - this one looks like a 2Pak. It would be necessary to compare gloss-levels of the paint used with the original using a light meter to determine if it has been done correctly.
If I were judging the car I would be looking for such items as the correct curvature in the fuel lines which was determined by Royce himself to be the optimum for avoiding vapour locks. I would also be checking t see that the screws are all headed-up and that they are the correct screws etc.
I saw very recently a beautiful restoration of an S3 where the paint and carpet looked perfect. The whole effect was ruined by the use of Phillips head screws in the boot and the lack of leather bias on the carpets - neither the owner nor the restorer realised what had been done ...
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I was referring to Styria arguing just because he can even when he is wrong. It must come with senior moments. That or not reading post before opening reply. :D:eek::p

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian posting this reminds me I need to get chassis number of P1 at Rowe and Sons for you. :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Remember that originally it would have been hand painted using a paint brush and lacquer - this one looks like a 2Pak. It would be necessary to compare gloss-levels of the paint used with the original using a light meter to determine if it has been done correctly.
Regards,
Brian

I doubt there are many people left in this world who could brush paint a car to a decent level (at least acceptable to period era RR owners).

Try this method:
http://youtu.be/cVBvlrjVUtw

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian will starting looking today . :)

Styria

The Godfather
I was referring to Styria arguing just because he can even when he is wrong. It must come with senior moments. That or not reading post before opening reply. :D:eek::p

Geoff, it just depends on the mood I am in, or how old and lonely I feel when I read the various posts.:D However, and however.......my remark re white walls referred to over restored cars in general - the ones seen at Pebble, Amelia and many others etc. - if you cast your mind back to the late''30s, 540K.'s and Lagonda LG6s, to name two, were not fitted with white walls by the factory. That's the sort of contention I would advance in support of my beliefs. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As for baiting you . At least I have stopped you talking rubbish about your time being up. Stop that nonsense its were I am coming from with my ptsd. I have been to coroners court many times and I wish I had not. :mad:

c107

and 111/116/124/126