Mounting a NSW historic plate

More threads by c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I didn't have time to make my own adaptor like I did for the W111 and Traction. So for the SLC I bought a 'novelty' plate but specified no letters. A ready made adaptor!

36840669470_7ce465b96f_c.jpg

More here:

http://www.classicjalopy.com/2017/09/mounting-nsw-historic-plates/

Helmet

Connoisseur
These plates are crazy. Why design such a small number plate that is going to go on a car that was designed for large plates, and the colour :mad:

Good idea with the mount plate

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yeah, the size, purple and that horrible font.

In the USA you can use a period plate which is a nice option. Has to be the right year for the car. I did this when I lived in Michigan.

IMG_0999.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
In Queensland you can have any plate including personalised plates on the restricted rego.
On another note, I had aluminium plates the size of standard plates made and painted the same colour as the car and then I mounted the historic rego plates on them -- like in the picture.

IMG_8823.jpg

-bb-

Noble
I am currently in the process of moving to club rego, so this is very timely information. Thank you!

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126

-bb-

Noble
Ok, it turned up today.

The adapter is a black powder coated metal and the holes were a match for both the plate and the car. All washers, screws and even plastic spacers are supplied and it has two rows of double sided tape to secure the plate, in addition to the screws.

I used the plastic spacers so the smaller screws mounting the plate don't dig into the car's paint.

The only improvement I would like to see is the adapter being a bit wider so the mounts on the car for the holes are hidden, however this is minor, and I have given this feedback to the supplier.

Overall, I am happy with the result.

Attachments

• the adaptor.jpg
    the adaptor.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 11
  • plastic spacers.jpg
    plastic spacers.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 11
  • plate mounted.jpg
    plate mounted.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 12
  • on the car.jpg
    on the car.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Here in Sth Aust. we just use normal plates or custom plates of our choice. No problem fitting them.

You guys and Queenslanders are lucky.
We've been trying to convince the RMS and the transport minister to do the same here :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
It looks so much better than just drilling holes in your new plates and I was planning something similar for Dora (and my other cars).

Here in VIC we have to use Club Plates which use the same format, colour and font. Madness since VicRoads could make far more money allowing custom plates on club reg cars and with number plate recognition plus the removal of rego labels, dedicated historic plates make no sense.