Motec modified 6.9

More threads by WGB

WGB

As some of you will know I succumbed and purchased Motec 6.9's car which had been left sitting under covers for several years.

I looked at it and turned to walk away and my son-in-law gave him an offer neither of us could refuse so it is now sitting at my place.

I have attempted to start it and it will idle (with a very emphatic exhaust noise) with "Start ya bastard" being sprayed down the intake. It has spark but no fuel getting through.

Next job is to find out where the fuel pump(s) is as something must be dry.

What started as a parts car for me might have a life yet - time will tell.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done Brother Bill.

Another one lives yet!

Styria

The Godfather
Good on you Bill. Which of the two cars did you buy - the Gold or the Astral Silver ? What are the chances of some photographs ? Best of luck with the car. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I'd be very keen to see some current pictures.... I did suggest that one of my mates buy the car, but he had to sell stuff first and was beaten to the post!

Congratulations WGB! I thought it was way too good to be a parts car... :)

Oversize

Grand Master
It could be the only 6.9 in Australia with exhaust extractors (not to mention the Motec system)!

I bet the pump/s are gummed up....

OP
WGB

WGB

After some difficulty lifting the car I managed to find what I assume was a non-standard Bosch pump in the usual position as well as a smaller than standard fuel filter also in the usual position. Most of the hoses were newish generic hoses but as soon as any fiddling started they started leaking - especially the big one from the bottom of the tank.

Drained the fuel tank, replaced all the hose-work with new and purchased a new generic fuel pump from Auto1 in Kalamunda and put it all back together while lying in the red dirt.

Fixed the leaking injector connections under the bonnet and fired it up.
It started almost instantly and the suspension pressure light went out within 30 seconds - the car raised and then settled again - presumably as a few rubber diaphragms bit the dust.

No smoke, no concerns except for some red liquid dropping from the front passenger side.

Motor sounded smooth and quiet but the exhaust will never be legal as it is.

Next job will be fit the rubber transport blocks and get a good look at it on the hoist - I guess new spheres will be the order of the day.

Bill

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Bill:
Styria tells me that Lemforder spheres are getting harder to come by.
Lemforder spheres, In Styria's opinion, are superior to Bilsteins, and last longer.

About 18 months ago, I was speaking to a Citroen owner, who lives in Canning Road, within walking distance of Woolies. He said that there is a business in Brisbane that refurbishes Citroen spheres, and could see no reason why 6.9 spheres cannot also be refurbished.

Ring John R. (my brother), in Carmel, and let him know if you run into problems, and I will investigate further.

OP
WGB

WGB

Thanks for that.

I have a very busy 6 weeks ahead of me and as I made a raid on Tiffany's last week and the prospective 3rd Mrs Babe has said yes my shed time and money will be a little down for a while.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Therefore WGB, allow me to be first from the Eastern Seaboard to offer my congratulations and best wishes on Mrs. Babe No. 3. It is fantastic news. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Congratulations Bill:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks for that.
I have a very busy 6 weeks ahead of me and as I made a raid on Tiffany's last week and the prospective 3rd Mrs Babe has said yes my shed time and money will be a little down for a while.
Bill

Congratulations Dr Babe.....
They say as we get older we get wiser!

Best Wishes! :p

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks Michel, abl567 and Styria.

No fool like an old fool - however onwards and upwards seems to be the way.

Bill

.....fly like a sparrow, Bill, and take in the scenery !:D Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Congratulations to you Bill! I hope she likes MBs!! :rolleyes:;):D

OP
WGB

WGB

My son-in-law returned from his FIFO job and wanted to hear the engine run.

It started first flick of the starter and then 15 seconds later it pumped up it's suspension and looked like it wanted to go for a run.

I will fix the flat front tyre and get it up on the hoist before I lurch 2 ton of machinery at the scenery.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Great going Bill - it is amazing that it seems to have taken no time at all to make some real progress. It will indeed be interesting to follow progress on with your efforts. I wonder if the son-in-law could well be a future admirer of the car ? Stranger things have happened. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Any progress or pix?

Styria

The Godfather
Any further news on this car, Bill ? It's been a little quiet on the WGB front for a while now. You should know, Bill, that we have our best interest for you at heart, but I guess your new lady is taking preference now - fully understandable. However, still interested in your cars. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I wonder what happened to my old car