Is the market flat?

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It seems the new car market is quite flat at the moment - or, at least competitive in a way it has not been in the past few years.
We went on a preliminary excursion to do pricing today - and always by setting up an appointment in advance. At Mercedes-Benz we were served coffee and pastries and once we had been through the build the price suddenly became very, very flexible. How flexible is impossible to say as it varies according to the model. The more expensive the model the greater the discount and suddenly an almost new S Class with delivery miles only on it became almost affordable.
At BMW we were served coffee and sandwiches in a largely empty facility and taking 10% of the list price was only the first offer - and when we did not jump at it immediately we were offered another 5% discount and 5 years free scheduled servicing as well.
There were few deals on basic MB cars.
Even Peugeot turned handsprings and suddenly discovered they had un-issued stock of the 2018 Edition Definitive (the very hard to get last manual GTi model they are making). We drove past a major Holden dealer that once was wall to wall customer and it looked like a holding yard for left over stock and the lights were off.
Yes, we are teetering on the edge of a national recession but this was far more serious than I had believed.
Maybe now is the time to boy? Maybe in a couple of months it might be even easier to do a deal. Of course it might also be a sign that spending is unwise.
Strange times indeed.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very interesting post Brian.
The auto market has been down for a good while now, and of course with all the panic of COVID-19 or the Corona Virus, people are just not going out anywhere, and all buying (except toilet paper it seems) has slowed right down.

Two things.
1) The truck market is pretty much the same, and very expensive trucks are going cheap.
2) I know where Leanne & I might go for morning tea tomorrow :D

sean sherry

Master
:cool:Them were the Days !! I recall a cartoon many years ago when Detroit was making so much Money they did know what to do with it all.
Wizard of ID asking how to turn base metal into Gold..... send it to Detroit !

sean sherry

Master
Car values down ???
Hopefully not like the Share market! Maybe near the bottom, Broker has a Buy on all the Banks except CBA ? CBA down from $90 to $65 in a couple of Weeks !!!......The Peoples Bank.
For me a small bright light....:eek: Sold BHP last month at $41 .. now $36... More good luck than good judgement !
The World has now changed across the Board.
Except for the Squirrels.... who put Nuts away for the Winter Time.