How to make larger Bundts

More threads by Michel

Oversize

Grand Master
If you can't legally repair a damaged alloy, or re-drill them I can't see how this would be legal. Plus I reckon they look pretty yuk anyway. Personally I'd just find a standard later model set (between 16" & 18", with the correct offset) and have the confidence that they're safe. And that's exactly what I've done.

The 14" Bundts do look good if the finish is nice, but finding good performance tyres to fit will get harder. If you have 15" ones you're a very lucky duck! If you want 15" then be prepared to wait for them and pay through the nose on purchase and freight....

Tony66_au

Interesting isn't the half of it lol

And although I admire the guys ingenuity there are a few things to take into account.

Alloys come in various forms, Some are cast alloy which is brittle and some milled or CNC machined from a billet block which is softer but far more durable.

Then you have 3 piece rims (or what he referred to as split rims) like the BBS or Simmons Alloys which have a center and 2 half rims held together by a pile of bolts and these are engineered very very well to cope with the stress and lateral forces applied in Race situations, Their practical use is so you can easily reconfigure them and change width, offset etc and the extra engineering and quality is reflected in the price.

Cast alloy is often quite brittle and hard hence the breakage the OP mentioned, Spun or milled Alloys are far softer and malleable and so they bend before breaking.

Either way it is silly to alter damaged cast alloys that are already 20 something years old and have been stressed and probably full of crystalline fractures.

Even softer spun alloys milled to center only are not designed to be converted to 3 piece wheels although id almost be comfy with them as 2 piece not unlike the Dragways (Splattys) of old.

Great idea but flawed execution im afraid.
]
Tony

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Would they still have them, Tony ? I sort of tend to believe, or seem to recall, that they were just about sold out. Mind you, though, I'd be in no position to buy them - they are simply too expensive for what my shallow pocket can hold.

I must admit that I do like the design or execution of the rim pictured in this thread. I rather like the idea of the Bundt centre, with the chromed rim - very classy looking. I still maintain that, styling wise in their uniqueness, nothing has ever approached Bundts - you will never mistake them for anything else. I also tend to think that white walls, and a BRIGHT SILVER finish, really stand out. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

Im not 100% sure but I recall seeing something earlier this year where they were still being made available at around the $500 USD mark per rim which isn't unreasonable.

Of course shipping would hurt..........

eBay Germany has them from time to time as well although the logistics would be interesting.

Might be worth an email to California.

And yes I agree wholeheartedly, the Bundts are a great looking wheel and the job the guy did on his looks damned good.

Oversize

Grand Master
I think the best thing about the Bundts is they're sooooo light!!! Compare them to a new alloy and you'll really be surprized. I intend to paint the centres of mine, polish the rims and add some chrome wheel studs. Keep em clean and they should look nice....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel i posted about these wheels a while back different link but same pictures. Not sure about how safe or legal they would be. As for the 15 inch Bundts the Classic Centre has them no longer available. But stated they will advice when they get them in stock. There is the link from the UK that the late John posted that allways have them for sale but over £2000 a set. I made enquiries about 2 years back about having some 19 inch billet copies made of the Bundts was told yes no problem. But came with custom made price off $2500 per wheel. Geoff

Oversize

Grand Master
Ouch!!!!! :eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark i would need to dig up my old email but they were quoted from Colorado custom wheels. Billet specialty quoted about $3000 per wheel from memory. Geoff

Tony66_au

I think the best thing about the Bundts is they're sooooo light!!! Compare them to a new alloy and you'll really be surprized. I intend to paint the centres of mine, polish the rims and add some chrome wheel studs. Keep em clean and they should look nice....

yeah I did a double take when I had the tyre stripped off the Spare Bundt.

It felt like a Magnesium alloy wheel when i picked it up.

Tony66_au

Actually it was funny, I went to pick it up off the floor and thinking it was heavier than it was I I hoiked it and nearly threw the thing.

Sadly its a bit sad with chunks missing where the center cap goes on...

As for 2000 pounds sterling?

Its a shakedown.

Ask for a quote in Euro's and wait a while till it devalues some more.

Its come down a fair whack against the AUD.

Tony66_au

Ok!

ATS, Centra and Ronal made copies in 15" but with various offsets depending on the car they were intended for and i believe you need a 23 or 25 offset for the 116's, A curiosity I noted when removing the aftermarket alloys on my SE and fitting the spare 14" OEM Bundt.

There is a mob in the US who does them chromed though..........

20dc6ace.png

http://www.formymercedes.com/mercedes_wheels.htm

Oversize

Grand Master
Actually it was funny, I went to pick it up off the floor and thinking it was heavier than it was I I hoiked it and nearly threw the thing.

Sadly its a bit sad with chunks missing where the center cap goes on...

As for 2000 pounds sterling?

Its a shakedown.

Ask for a quote in Euro's and wait a while till it devalues some more.

Its come down a fair whack against the AUD.

A bit like the opposite of the weight lifting in the iSelect ad!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSgHlFu-eOs

LMAO!!! :D

Oversize

Grand Master
All the more reason to hang onto them and refinish if they look average

Styria

The Godfather

You'd get a very nice looking rim if you followed that procedure ! Nice bright silver paint does wonders for their appearance. The original Astral Silver (?) gave them a somewhat drab appearance. Regards Styria