How many 6.9s are left?

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
About 10 years ago I started keeping records of 6.9s that I'd seen on the road, or ones that had been advertised in the printed media. I stopped doing this religiously a while ago, due to the decline of printed media & the rate at which ads on the net were being utilized (there's too many ads on the net to monitor regularly).

I know that the M100 site appears to keep records of ones that are still alive, but I'm not a member (yet). Does anyone have an idea of how many of these cars are still useable, out of the 7500 odd that were built? Have any been involved in major collisions that wrote the car off? Just how many were officially imported into Australia? We seem to have many private imports from Europe etc now & I wonder if the number's far greater than those exported out of Aust?

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I researched this question about 10 years ago. forgive me if my memory is faulty.

At the time, I phoned the Roads and Traffic Authority of NSW, and was advised that 39 6.9's were then currently registered in NSW. I also rang MB Australia in Melbourne, who advised that 280 6.9's in total for all years had been imported by them into Australia. By implication, they would all have been Australian spec. cars. The 1979 model year is by far the most common.
I still have a record of this inquiry buried deeply somewhere in my notes and records of my own car.

Quote: "The best laid plans of mice and men are filed away .............somewhere ........?"

I know of a few private import 6.9's which are all right hand drive. Again, by implication, they would all have been English spec. cars. These cars have come from many different countries to be privately imported into Australia. I estimate that up to 50 of these cars were imported. Some cars of all spec.s may also have been exported in this period, but I don't know of any.

I have personally driven seven examples of the 6.9

The 6.9 is a long lived car for two reasons:
1) Being top of the range for the W116, more owners are enthusiastic to keep them going, partly because of the suspension and engine, and
2) The car was overdesigned in many ways, I think specifically to give it a long life.

I know of one write off 6.9 (English spec.) and three 6.9's Australian spec. that have been dismantled, to be parted out.

At the time, I estimated that the survival rate of the 6.9 at 20 years of age was about 50% and there would been about 100 6.9's in current registration in Australia, ready to drive. I don't think that number has gotten much smaller in the following 10 years to present. There would be quite a few more that would be unroadworthy.

As far as specification is concerned, the Australian cars had extra side impact protection in the doors, a gearbox cooler pump and an auto gearbox which is different to the English / German cars, with 4 clutch plates and a 10mm shorter gearbox case. They also had the low 8.0 to 1 compression engine and an air pump for air pollution control. The Australian cars can be easily identified by the extra pulley for the gearbox cooler pump just behind the radiator, unless that has been removed. MB in their wisdom installed the gearbox cooler pump because of the higher ambient temperatures in Australia, and considered that the Australian cars would be more likely to pull a trailer occasionally.

The English / German spec, cars had the high compression engine, seven plate clutch gearbox, and a small separate vertical oil cooler radiator alongside the main one.

The Australian spec. cars produced 269 horsepower, not 286 h.p. and 510 mkg torque, not 560 mkg torque.

Most of this is from memory, and I guess that Styria may be be able to correct me on some of the technical details

Styria

The Godfather
I guess, in a nutshell, not enough. Nathan, from the 116.org site, has kept quite immaculate records - or at least, so I understand and he is probably best acquainted with numbers in Australia. I certainly take no issue with the numbers quoted by SEL69L - I think he is pretty close. In the last ten years, I have procured parts from two 6.9s that were written off, so I guess his number of thirty nine should be reduced by those two. BTW, I believe the figure of thirty nine related to cars with full registration in NSW.

I know of one other somewhere on the South Coast that's been accident damaged, so that would make it three. Then I suspect that our Lukas in Canberra has two, more likely unregisterd, so the number is dropping ever so consistently.

Regarding the gearbox - there are only two variations of note in manufacture between the "dirty" (8.8:1) 6.9s and the Australian/American versions - it related to the auxiliary pump that David has referred to, and the planetary gear carrier - six gears on the 'dirty" car, and four gears on the other. Clutch packs are identical. Regards Styria

-bb-

Noble
This thread reminds me of a couple of youtube videos I did a couple of years ago.

This 6.9 got cooked, literally:

...and this one had just been left out in the open for too long:

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I have some contacts at VicRoads & I'll see what I can find out. I wonder what the ratio is between registered:unregistered? I'd imagine it would be fairly high, considering I have four & not one is registered (yet).... :eek:

Lukas

I wonder what the ratio is between registered:unregistered? I'd imagine it would be fairly high, considering I have four & not one is registered (yet).... :eek:

I second that; I have 2 unreg vs 1 reg, and that 1 is on historic plates, so may not count as "conventionally" registered.

I also have the suspension out of another dismantled car (the same one that provided SELfor50s original M100 engine) - that car was only dismantled about a year and a half ago. Like Styria said, I'd wager there are a fair few more out there that are off rego and in poor repair / close to wrecking - think for example that brown one at the coast from eBay a while ago.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Hey Tony I just noticed you've surpassed me in the number of posts. Not happy Jan; I demand a recount!!! ;)

Styria

The Godfather
Recount carried out - results inconclusive at this point of time. :D Admin. considers the amounts of posts insufficient given period of membership. Seriously though, thanks for your support, guys. Mark, you'll soon be off to the US - worked out an itinery yet ? You may wish to reply in the appropriate thread that you started. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
No good with VicRoads. Why is it they're so protective of their information? I was told that they don't judge it as information for the public. Seems to me they're so worried about privacy laws that they won't release anything; even if it doesn't identify anyone.... :mad::mad:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
FOI request sounds like a great idea! I'll give it a shot here; is there anyone else interested in doing the same interstate? I'll be requesting information on how many W116s are registered & if they can break it down further into M100, M117 & M110. Any other suggestions? One can only try....

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Just confirmed again: Mercedez-benz oficially imported a total of 227 6.9's into Australia. Presumably, they were all Australian spec. cars.

Most of us know personally of the existence of at least one or two non Australian spec. cars, so the total I guess with grey imports added would be around the three hundred mark.

I can only speculate how many 6.9's have left Australian shores to be grey imports in other countries.

Styria

The Godfather
The second video posted by "bb" is quite enlightening - I wonder what has happened to the car since the video ? I knew the owner, and he had paid $10K. for the car some two to three years earlier. There was a good deal of suspension work that had been carried out, plus a rebuilt water pump, and the owner had asked me to rectify the rust in the roof. I declined as the job was going to be 'never ending' as there were other issues as well, so Alfred (the name of the owner) decided to ask his mate that he had bought the car from to sell it for him. The result of that request can be seen in the video ! Regards Styria