QUIZ: How many Pumps are there in a 6.9?

More threads by SEL_69L

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I was having a bit of a ponder about how many pumps of all sorts are in a 6.9.

The air conditioner compressor ia really a pump, but I did not count that, but I have counted the rest. 6.9's for some markets did not have some pumps but did have other pumps for other uses, in other markets.

All inclusive, I came up with 12. Is anybody out there brave enough to list them all, and perhaps prove my list as being incomplete?

Last edited:

-bb-

Noble
Power Steering
Oil
Fuel
Suspension
Transmission Oil
Water
Air Pump (the engine)

Come to think of it, if I count each cylinder separately, I get 14 :D

Styria

The Godfather
Well, there haven't been too many takers - looks as though I'll have to give it a go. Starting from the front:

1)Windscreen Washer Pump.
2)Headlight Washer Pump.
3)Suspension
4)Air Pump
5)Water
6)Air Compressor - it is a pump, isn't it ?
7)Power Steering
8)Front Pump in Gearbox - not serviced externally.
9)Fuel Distributor - I do not think it is a pump, but merely a pressurized distribution device.
10)Fuel Pump.
11)Transmission Oil Pump.
12)Engine Oil Pump - not serviced externally.

Run out of ideas now, but that should just about cover it. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
I did list the the auxiliary pump for the transmission - that is (believe it or not) the $7000.00 baby should yours decide to pack it in. It's probably more nowadays if Australian Mercedes pricing is used as a, unfortunately, reliable guide. Mind you, they seem to last forever except for perhaps slight oil leaks. I do know of two instances where the pulley has come adrift from the pump (in both instances at high freeway speeds), and the pulley is not available as a separate item.

To the best of my knowledge, David, there is no vacuum pump - the system is operated by engine vacuum and one way valves. Regards Styria

OP
SEL_69L

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Would it not be best just to remove the offending gearbox cooler pump if it were to be just too expensive and impracticable to repair / replace? That would just revert it to a standard 6.9.

As I understand it, the gearbox cooler system was basically just an 'add on' anyway. Mercedes, in their wisdom added this system, because in their reasoning, the ambient operating temperatures in Australia are higher, and the 6.9 has no greater cooling area in the radiator behind the grille than a 280. I think that they also figured that it may be an increased possibility that a 6.9 may more prabably pull a trailer than in Europe.

Just imagine a 6.9 pulling a trailer at over 200 km/hr on an autobahn!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You guys forgot one more pump, the biggest pump of them all!

The one that pumps money OUT of your bank account INTO the 6.9!

:D... :p... :D... :p... :D... :p

Styria

The Godfather
You guys forgot one more pump, the biggest pump of them all!

The one that pumps money OUT of your bank account INTO the 6.9!

:D... :p... :D... :p... :D... :p

Michel, you're so true to form - I have been waiting for you to come up with this reply. Don't worry, I thought about it too, but decided not to steal your thunder ! :D Regards Styria