Erebus V8 Supercars

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
..... will arrive in 3 days! So excited!!!! And I wonder if it'll have a positive effect on MB popularity in the wider community and resale values?

Styria

The Godfather
Yes Mark, it will indeed be interesting to follow the path of fortune, or otherwise, of this venture. To my mind, the close collaboration with AMG is already reaping the benefit with sales in this country.

It will be interesting to follow the Supercars this year-the rivalry between Ford and GMH did become somewhat stale, so hopefully the new format will prove a shot in the arm for the series. Regards. Styria

260ebenz

Master
Let the games begin I can not see Ford and Holden competiting against this machine but we will wait and see.

Attachments

• E63 AMG V8 Supercar.jpg
    E63 AMG V8 Supercar.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 6

Styria

The Godfather
Personally I don't think that neither the Ford nor the Holden should be cast aside. It's not only just engines that decide which car is going to have the best chance. Tyres play a big part, as well as suspension set-up and brakes, and the two Aussie icons have been finely honed over the years. Then take Nissan - never to be underestimated. They are doing well in one of the Sports Cars series overseas, and again you have to pay respect to the Japanese manufacturer.

It'd be nice to have some pictures of the test day which has been held at Sydney Motorsport Park - formerly known as Eastern Creek Raceway. Ah well, one can only hope that some decent pictures will turn up somewhere - there may perhaps even be some sort of television coverage. Regards Styria :D

Styria

The Godfather
Not one of the V8 Supercars, but the brand new, yet to be released, new Holden Commodore. Revised rear styling, and apparently much more sophisticated from a technical point of view. Excellent value for money in this present day and age. One can only hope that not only the Commodore, but also the Ford, survive for many years to come.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013046_zps2f234a95.jpg

I couldn't let it go - I wanted to show the new frontal treatment as well.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013045_zps7dbc6271.jpg

For good measure, there was another extremely beautifully styled car I spotted - the CLS look alike Volkswagen. I had previously seen them on about three or four occasions, and always admired the styling - almost as classy as the CLS Mercedes.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013048_zps08856c0e.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013047_zps0baa7883.jpg

Regards Styria

BTW - did anyone get to the practice day for the V8's ? We did. That's SEL69L and myself. We have some photos being developed by the Photobucket machine.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
We decided earlier in the week that the practice day was an event not to be missed - why, the almighty Silver Star machines taking on the might of what Australia could muster and, to be sure, not to forget the Nissan Altima (?) - not to be dismissed as a lightweight in this company. So, what did David and I find ? Pandemonium. One had to be there to see the assembled crowd, and the cars parked everywhere. It was mind blowing. Cars were parked all the way from the Brabham Drive (round about), all the way to the gates - on both sides of the road. I have never seen anything like it. When we got to the gate at the back of the circuit, my good looks and sob story about my misaligned hip resulted in the very, very good looking young woman taking pity on me and let us through - she even radioed ahead so that we could get clear passage to the circuit and pit area itself. I just had to give her a lovely smile - wait - I even told her what a smashing good looker she was - and believe me, she was.

So we got to the circuit, to find what ? Thousands, and I mean thousands of like minded enthusiasts. It was unbelievable.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013007_zps2d755499.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013011_zpsc2e0908f.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013010_zps09021ac8.jpg

There was even a walloper's car on display - very impressive under bonnet layout - almost as good as Gleaming Beauty's 6.9. Incidentally, this is a Ford Boss 400 V8. No wonder I couldn't shake them last time I flattened the loud pedal. I got booked doing 70 in a 60 zone (kilometers).

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013016_zps039b94fa.jpg

Still the same engine - just as good as on the other side.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013017_zps33c74c66.jpg

30 deep looking out from the Mercedes garage. My God, that many people - it was wonderful.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013043_zpsc0b132aa.jpg

Pit straight at the end of proceedings - it was journalist's heaven posing all kinds of silly questions to the drivers. Still, it was great - you will need to look at the transporters that the teams were using - works of art. Never mind the Suopercars.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013044_zps998d1ef8.jpg

Regards Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Were we talking about Transporters - mobile creations of muscular art ? It was mind blowing, and to marvel at the sheer size, the impeccable presentation, and the folding stuff (dollars) that's been put into them I won't comment on each unit - I would like the pictures to tell the story.

This is Nissan's catering and hospitality truck - very simple Kenworth.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013027_zps085d448a.jpg

The only Volvo Truck - carting the Nissan racers.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013026_zpscb2c5cda.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013025_zpsfe405576.jpg

Older style Peterbilt - a subsidiary of Mercedes Benz in the States.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013023_zps5779d216.jpg

.....and pulling this body - still the same Peterbilt.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013024_zpsb95142ec.jpg

You won't see much nicer, nor more striking - probably the latest Peterbilt. Sorry, my apologies - they are not Peterbilts, but rather Freightliner. My apologies.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013021_zps576998b5.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013021_zps576998b5.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013019_zps0bcfe375.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013018_zps9e2ea7d2.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013014_zps70b2ca22.jpg

The magnificence of this truck had to be seen to be believed.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013012_zpsd34ed121.jpg

Somewhat plain Mercedes Transporters - powered by Western Star Trucks.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013008_zpsd5ca19f8.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013002_zps5eb18b51.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013001_zpsf48972cc.jpg

That's all them trucks, folks. More to come. Regards Styria (trying to get into the pits - wish me luck).

260ebenz

Master
Great pics Styria and looks to have been a ripper of an event!

Shame about getting booked speeding Styria!
:(

Styria

The Godfather
You guys - do you have to be so impatient ?:D All things come to the ones that wait. I think this is Craig Lowndes' car - the new Holden HSV. Looks as though these cars don't have reverse gear. They were always pushed out of the garage. I could be wrong - someone will tell me.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013035_zps0273f791.jpg

One of the Nissans - they sounded very sharp, shrillish. All cars seem to sport the same wheels.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013034_zps354608f7.jpg

Don't recognize this one - but its exhaust sounded different to the others - quite a high pitched whistle to it.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013032_zpsf45e18fa.jpg

The other Nissan - very striking in a Brownish/Beige.....sounded fabulous.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013030_zpsc7f017fb.jpg

The Public Relations guru hard at work - mind you, he got interrupted a few times by the compressed air wheel nut removers. We all started laughing because he couldn't finish his well rehearsed sentences.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013037_zps12693bef.jpg

That's a Mercedes - as if you couldn't tell. Nice livery - beautifully prepared, everything, but everything, shiny to a tee.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013042_zps7b179f67.jpg

Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
IN THE PITS - I obtained a Pit Pass as it was the only way to get a closer look at the action. How did I manage to get it ? Simply by sneaking around unobtrusively, without telling anyone who I was. I just made sure that I looked important enough. Worked almost all of the time, until one of the old officials wisened up to me. By that time, it no longer mattered - I had captured everything I wanted to.

Jamie Whincup's car - the Championship winner of 2012. A thoroughly professional outfit.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013038_zpsdc67eed2.jpg

That indeed is one of the Erebus Racers - everytime they came back to the pits, they spent a lot of time under the rear end.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013036_zpse0b93afb.jpg

The same with the Irwin Tools Mercedes - it was amazing. Every guy seemed to have a specific job - to be expected. Even down to the polisher - Mister Sheen in one hand, soft clean cloth in the other.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013031_zpscfc1fe9e.jpg

More pit activity - as I said, a beehive of activity. The cars would only stay on the track for ten to fifteen minutes at the most.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013029_zpsd5140f55.jpg

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013028_zpsa6acf32f.jpg

Just back into the pits - sensational. The pop and crackle from the engine was absolute music to the ears. I havd never been to any of these events, and it was simply awesome.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013006_zps41dffc02.jpg

Note cooling fan after getting back into pits.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013005_zpsb9e88be2.jpg

I couldn't get much closer - a thousand thanks to my i-Phoe 4. The pics. are actually, and surprisingly, good quality.

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013004_zpsbfe180b5.jpg

Please note: Last, but not least. The new pub at Eastern Creek serving icy cold beer, accompanied by hot chips. Sure beat lining up with all the bunnies at the Kiosks at the track. That is a nice pub.......

yMotorsportPark-Practice16thFeb2013052_zps44e48d8e.jpg

Thanks guys - that's about all I have to show - it was a satisfying experience. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I never cease to be amazed by you GODFATHER...:p

Great pics and commentary.

Many thanks :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Best till last eh Styria?? So are you now a V8SC convert?? The sounds have to be heard personally to be believed and to me they sound far better than F1!

Thanks for posting all those pics! Just watch that finger next time!! ;):D

Styria

The Godfather
Best till last eh Styria?? So are you now a V8SC convert?? The sounds have to be heard personally to be believed and to me they sound far better than F1!

Thanks for posting all those pics! Just watch that finger next time!! ;):D

Hi Mark, thanks for compliment(s) - that finger, well yeah - it was hidden somewhere :D It gave me great pleasure to grab the photos and share my excitement with TK guys - and any guests that might be looking in. Regards Styria