Erebus V8 Supercars

More threads by Oversize

260ebenz

Master
Watching the Bathurst 12 hour race pouring rain what a great race!

Mercedes Erebus was in the lead which is good news.

Styria

The Godfather
A far better understanding, and a lot of further information, can be obtained by selecting the site as hereunder:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/bright-sparks-record-testing-day

After carrying out a little more research, it would appear thst the Erebus Racing Team were already in existence last year, i.e. 2012. It would also appear that quite a number of the cars are built by a particular organization, the name of whom escapes me for the moment. It would also appear that all teams (?) use the same wheels and, of course, Dunlop tyres. Furthermore, gearboxes are now located at the rear in form of transaxles - thus, both diffs and gearboxes come as one unit and, again, I believe that all teams use the same layout.

This then begs the question, as to the extent of involvement by Mercedes in general, and AMG in particular, in this race series. Are we merely looking at engine exclusive set-up to the teams (Nissan, AMG, Ford, Holden), whilst the rest is more or less the same ? I pose these questions not to belittle the series, but more of an effort to understand it all, and as to how it works. I'd be interested in others' opinions. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Which race team won today's Bathurst 12 hour race?

Thanks.

Tim,

This race (Bathurst 12hours) was won last Sunday by the Erebus (Mercedes SLS) team.
Today was a 3hour highlight.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A far better understanding, and a lot of further information, can be obtained by selecting the site as hereunder:

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/bright-sparks-record-testing-day

After carrying out a little more research, it would appear thst the Erebus Racing Team were already in existence last year, i.e. 2012. It would also appear that quite a number of the cars are built by a particular organization, the name of whom escapes me for the moment. It would also appear that all teams (?) use the same wheels and, of course, Dunlop tyres. Furthermore, gearboxes are now located at the rear in form of transaxles - thus, both diffs and gearboxes come as one unit and, again, I believe that all teams use the same layout.

This then begs the question, as to the extent of involvement by Mercedes in general, and AMG in particular, in this race series. Are we merely looking at engine exclusive set-up to the teams (Nissan, AMG, Ford, Holden), whilst the rest is more or less the same ? I pose these questions not to belittle the series, but more of an effort to understand it all, and as to how it works. I'd be interested in others' opinions. Regards Styria

What is different about a 2013 COTF car versus a current V8 Supercar?

--Chassis design and specification will now be fixed. All chassis to be dimensionally identical, but different accredited vehicle builders can construct them.
--Engine is mounted 100mms further back and down. Protects engine in case of frontal impact and improves weight distribution.
--Increase in wheel and tyre size to 18-inch provide by Dunlop. Bigger brakes can therefore also be fitted.
--Windscreen becomes polycarbonate. It’s 250 times stronger than glass.
--Collapsible steering column with collapsible section in the engine bay, rather than the cabin.
--Different transmission, moving to a transaxle, which incorporates the differential and gearbox in one assembly.
--Adoption of IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) with control pickup points and a control specification of uprights and wishbones.
--Fuel cell moved further forward in the car to protect from rear impacts.

The COTF will look the same from the outside, still make that unique V8 Supercar growl, and the best drivers from this part of the world, and sometimes the other, will still be fighting it out for the title.

The Car of the Future regulations essentially call for a single ‘control’ chassis, which is common to all teams. Engines and styling, though, are unique.

While Ford and Holden teams rely on racing V-8 engines from their respective American parents, Nissan will be using a Nismo-tuned version of the V-8 in the Infiniti M56.

The Mercedes touring cars will be powered by a modified, 5.0-litre version of the 6.3-litre V8 currently used in the SLS AMG GT3 race cars. Erebus is paying AMG to develop the engine and other parts of the car.

The engines need to displace no more than 5.0 litres and have an rpm limit of between 7,000 and 7,500 revs. Output also needs to be limited to around 650 horsepower, and torque curves need to be in parity across all teams.

I hope this gives you a better idea.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks for that very informative post Michel. A few things that I didn't know. I heard they sleeved the SLS engines to achieve the 5L capacity.

One thing that bothers me is the RPM and HP limits.... Surely that should be open to the capability of the respective engines? To me they've completely forgotten that it should be a manufacturer's race, as much as a race between drivers and teams....

I don't like the fact that we can't buy a V8 Nissan here, but one has to remember that it's now a worldwide series. And in 2016 we won't be able to buy any RWD V8 Holdens or Fords either! :eek::eek::eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I don't like the fact that we can't buy a V8 Nissan here

The Nissan V8 is available on the new V8 Patrol.
It has a displacement of 5.5 litres

I believe Infiniti will be bringing that version to Australia (M56) in the not to distant future.

260ebenz

Master
Tim,

This race (Bathurst 12hours) was won last Sunday by the Erebus (Mercedes SLS) team.
Today was a 3hour highlight.

Slightly embrassed you had to tell me that info Michel but thank you.

I did see 30mins of the highlights of the race I was impressed with the race.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
The Nissan V8 is available on the new V8 Patrol.
It has a displacement of 5.5 litres

I believe Infiniti will be bringing that version to Australia (M56) in the not to distant future.

A Patrol???? You'd have to kill me first! :D;) Isn't Infiniti an upmarket Mazda?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A Patrol???? You'd have to kill me first! :D;) Isn't Infiniti an upmarket Mazda?

I'd have to kill you for what you just said! :D

An Infiniti is the luxury brand from Nissan (same relationship as Lexus and Toyota)

Eunos was the defunct brand that Mazda tried to launch as a luxury version.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Oh; my bad (Oldtimers kicking in already)!!!! :D;)

260ebenz

Master
TG last night had the SLS AMG roadster featured on the show the roadster looked superb!

Repeat of last night's episode is on today at 2pm on the GO Channel 88.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Did anyone see how did Casey Stoner drove today in the qualifying?

What about Mercedes Erebus did they qualify in the top ten?

As you can tell I missed today's qualifying of the Clipsal Adelaide 500.

As a Mercedes owner and enthusiast I am a bit embrassed I missed the qualifying today have to watch the race this weekend.

260ebenz

Master
Hi Michel,

I saw Erebus Motorsport owner Betty Kliokomen interviewed during the Race today.

Mercedes did not even finish in the top 10 give it time it is Mercedes first race in the V8 Supercars.

Can't wait until Mercedes beat the Frauds and Holdens!

Styria

The Godfather
That might be some time away. As I have already stated, both Holden and Ford (particularly the former) have well honed and well proven teams and drivers doing the series. I know they are new cars, and everyone is supposed to be in the same boat, but I still say you can't beat experience.

So much fanfare is being made about the new series, new manufacturers enlivening the series, yet both Ford and the Commodore appear to be doomed with threatened closures and model changes. Accepting that as a 'Given', you could almost ask yourself "what is the point of the exercise" ? Anyone have any comment ?

Mercedes did not fare well in the opening race finishing down the course - I am not surprised. As I said, the two Aussies are very experienced. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well you are right about experience Styria but there's no need to be negative. Car racing in this country (taken globally) will survive as it's in our blood.

Beyond 2016 who knows what will happen to the series. Sounds like Holden and Ford will be using large cars designed overseas; a huge loss to the industry here. But lets hope we still have RWD V8s from which to source the base cars. A FWD large car would just suck and if we follow the US we should hang our heads in shame.

All I know is it was very entertaining to watch Clipsal with MB & Nissan included and with the resources available, they should be more competitive half-way through the season.

260ebenz

Master
Race 2 qualifying and Mercedes again did not qualify in the top 10.

V8 utes currently racing.

Let's see if Mercedes can do better than yesterday?

Tension between Tander and Coulthard during the qualifying!

Styria

The Godfather
Well, the race has been run and won by Kiwi van Gijsbergen, former Ford pilot and, ironically, driver for Erebus Motor Sport last year. Apparently, he left, or was made to leave, under somewhat controversial circumstances - but, it is ironic though, isn't it ? MB came in at 17th, perhaps a little disappointing, but there is only one way for them to go - forward, that is, as long as the powers that be are prepared to hang on and stand by and hope for that sunny day. Regards Styria

N.B. They certainly sounded quite fabulous when I hung around in the pits during practice at Sydney Motorsport Park. In fact, it was like thunder when they'd return after a practice run.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Very ironic and quite the slap in the face for SBR and Erebus. Yes 17th place, but at least they didn't smash em up! Seems like 2 cars had electrical issues with the parts supplied by Motec (not our Motec)!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm interested to know why they went for a flat plane crank and unusual firing order. That's why they sound so different (plus 4v per cylinder) but what's the perceived advantage? Sounds like their setup is different to their road cars