Emergency Blocks

More threads by motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi guys maybe some one can shed some light onto this. All pictures I have seen of the emergency blocks have a tie cable attached. Mine have a rubber strap instead. I am only the 3rd owner of my car and can confirm they have never been used. Is it because mine is early build and they changed design later in production. Part number is 116 327 10 30

Attachments

• IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 11

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm posting these pics on behalf of Geoff

Attachments

• IMAG0639.jpg
    IMAG0639.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0640.jpg
    IMAG0640.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 6

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, I cannot shed any light on this matter. I have the four units, but no wires nor plastic ties. Personally, I don't think it is necessary to really secure those blocks as the weight of the car will keep them in position.

No need to worry that they might become dislodged when driving - you'll only be able to travel at about 15km/hour with the blocks in place. Any faster, and you'll just about get catapulted out of your seat and hit the roof of the car.
Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
I recently priced these new through the Classic Centre, Irvine CA, they are available at a price, about $1700 US including the straps, Tom Hansen made the comment that he couldn't understand why you would ever need or use the straps as they serve no purpose.
As to the difference between rubber and other materials, buggered if I know:D

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
My guess is these are earlier version with my chasis #1873 and cable is later version. :D

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thank you for posting Michel.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Anthony, as I said one is really restricted from a speed point of view, even using the original rubber constructed units. Imagine if one were to use neoprene manufactured units - it'd be a frustrating and uncomfortable driving experience.

In my opinion, strictly transport or break-down situation only. Even installing them can be quite a chore. Incidentally, in my opinion, one should have the serrated (toothed bases) metal chocks to stop the car from moving if jacking up by means of the jack that's supplied by Benz as original equipment. They can be downright dangerous to use. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
They should only be used for transport, storage or emergency use. Driving at normal speeds is a no-no

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I suspect that these blocks* were only installed in the car, after it rolled of the production line for storage and / or transport to everseas destinations, ex Stuttgart.
I don't know of any instance of them being installed even for temporary reasons, by an Australian owner.
It is perhaps reassuring to have them, if your car needs transport on a tip tray breakdown truck. With a collapsed suspension, it would be impossible to get the car hauled onto the truck, when the ground clearance is virtually non existant.

Having said that, I don't know of any owner who normally carries suspension blocks in the car.
* I didn't even know that these blocks had straps or cables attached. I have seen a few sets of blocks on display at concours , but I don't recall seeing straps or cables attached to any of them.

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I have no intention of using them just happy they were with the car.:D