6.9 Suspension Blocks

More threads by MercedesMike

MercedesMike

I just recently acquired what appears to be the two rear 6.9 suspension blocks from eBay. Here's the link to the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...geName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123#ht_503wt_968

Yeah I know $182 USD for the pair seems like a lot but according to one source, the left one retails for $170 and the right one retails for $124 so perhaps I got a deal. My question is, what is the part number for the two FRONT suspension blocks? My google search is telling me it is 1263270030. Is that right?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have, in the past, tried to acquire a full set of four suspension blocks for my 6.9, and have found them to be next to unobtainable.

When you might be in the unfortunate position to need them most, they can be a hassle to install properly, anyway, so I have lived without them, and saved money and angst. .... (That is, of course, until I need them!)....

I figured that, if I DID need them to get me out of a spot of bother, maybe, I could borrow some. I figured that the situation for needing them would to be to elevate the car to enable it to be winched onto a tilt-tray flatbed breakdown truck.

Having said that, I found that the cost of obtaing a full set of genuine blocks would have been about AUD $1400.

There is an easier way out to obtain a set of blocks, if you really want them, and that is to go to a manufacturer who is capable of making custom engine mounts, who do this type of work commonly when a car gets re engined. I was quoted AUD $400 to make some new blocks, provided I could get a loan a set of original blocks from which to make a rubber casting pattern. I found four businesses in Sydney who were happy to do the work.

OP
MercedesMike

MercedesMike

I appreciate your point SEL_69L. These are very hard to come by even here in the States. What I ended up doing is setting up an alert on eBay to send me an email if anyone posts for sale anything with the keyword "6.9 Suspension Blocks." I've seen two sets come up since I did that last year. A complete set of four sold for something north of $600 USD about 9 months ago. The pair of rear blocks I purchased this past week was the second set to trip my eBay alert. So back to my original question, can any of you knowledgable sorts confirm that I got the part number right?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mercedes Mike, if you scroll right down on this page, you will see a section on "similar posts" - thus on 04/07/2008 a new thread was started by Des in Tasmania. The collection of posts make interesting reading and give you some of the details you want.

The price you paid is negligible - excellent value for money. As I have said previously, the rubber blocks do not allow you to drive the car normally - strictly workshop and repair facility, or to get you home very, very slowly. I have the four units for my "Gleaming Beauty", but have never, and never had to use them, and regard them virtually of ornamental value - just nice to have so you can say "I've got them for my car". A bit like the genuine 116 Tow Bar - as ugly as sin, butwell made and anchored properly to the chassis and bodywork of the car. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
MercedesMike

MercedesMike

Very good. Thanks Styria. I hadn't noticed those set of related links earlier.