96 w140 s280

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Of course I will update this post with Mercedes workshop vehicle check and if it passes . Then once I get car next week end.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A flash wax or spray wax is never going to deliver the same amount or quality of wax as a more solid compound but it's so much easier to use. You pay you money and take what you get. I have tried most products and there is one that is clearly superior to the others - and cheaper per wax than most because so little is needed. Lots of effort are required though.
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I have no problem with using a proper wax as that is what is used when I used to show cars when I was younger at the time it was Zymol carnauba wax . Once I paint my 6.9 keeping it in good condition is just looking after my investment. And as I have said the S280 is in good condition I would like to keep it that way. :) I am very interested in trying Swissvax.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well I did a test on the boot lid of the Spirit. One half was done in Meguiars Professional Yellow Wax and the other half in Swissvax. At the end both looked the same - however, a plastic jar would sit on the Meguiar's side but slide off the Swissvax side. After a month without being touched, other than washing, the Swissvax side was still cleaner and did not have the gritty feel of the Meguiar's side - indicating that it was more resistant to air-borne pollutants.
Obviously one could do more tests but I am satisfied that Swissvax is better - and once you have paid the high price you still have it years later.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes Meguairs used to be very good in the 90's but last lot I tried I was not impressed with. So I think I will give it a go as I said Zmol is good but not a great difference in price between it a Swissvax so willing to give it a go. :) Used Zmol products on my onetonner for car shows.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes Meguairs used to be very good in the 90's but last lot I tried I was not impressed with. So I think I will give it a go as I said Zmol is good but not a great difference in price between it a Swissvax so willing to give it a go. :) Used Zmol products on my onetonner for car shows.
I suspect Zymol and Swissvax are about on the same level. It's just that I have developed a fondness for Swissvax - none of its products has ever failed to do what I wanted it to do. You absolutely must use the Swisvax cleaner first - and preferably the clay bar.
This makes for an interesting read but it fails to test how long the product lasts. I polish the Spirit once a year and that is sufficient for it to do seriously well in Concours against those cars that are professionally prepared without regard to cost - http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index....vax-vs-turtlewax-meguiars-vs-werkstat-part-3/
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
As I said will give it a go as I have heard a lot of good revues on it. Other than areas I have mentioned needing attention only planned change is iPod input but wish to retain factory stereo. :)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Benz Boy, your link concerning the comparison between the four waxes holds a great deal of interest. To be truthful, I would baulk at the price of either the Swissvax, or the Zymoil, and I tend to think that the best way for me to take care of my 6.9 is to wash/chamois it dry immediately after use, and then immediately apply the Malco Flash Wax. It also smells good (perhaps not as nice as the Swissvax), but it is easy to apply and just as easy to remove. I apply the Flash Wax to the roof, bonnet and boot lid, as well as top of the front guards, EVERY time I use the car and then cover it with doona covers to keep off any dust whilst parked in the garage.

Thus, any time I would like to use GB, she is in spotless condition. I know that I have somewhat hijacked the thread, but we were talking about polishing cars, and what polish to use. Regards. Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thanks Brian finally got around to reading your comparison attachment very interesting between the 4 waxes. Nothing between them in the comparison other than what he noted about the Turtle wax I agree used it once hated it took me weeks to get ride of white marks around badges and trim. I had same problem with Mothers which I have used. Haven't had that problem with other products just those 2. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I once bought Meguair's NXT Generation Tech Wax but it left the paint feeling hard and dry - a very strange product indeed. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze professional range is still very, very good - just remember it is no longer a family company; it's now part of 3M.
Here are some comments on Malco Flashwax - http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/64043-anyone-used-flash-wax-from-malco/
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes as I said Meguairs used to be really good in the 90's just last time I used it I thought it was not as good as it once was. :)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Ok I had Mercedes workshop check out the W140 today. It came back with a very healthy report . All electronics are working correctly. Body is in good condition as well as interior. Wiring loom is fine and under body is in good condition with no leaks present and suspension requiring no work at present. So I will now move towards getting it this weekend if nothing upsets the plan on Friday. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ok I had Mercedes workshop check out the W140 today. It came back with a very healthy report . All electronics are working correctly. Body is in good condition as well as interior. Wiring loom is fine and under body is in good condition with no leaks present and suspension requiring no work at present. So I will now move towards getting it this weekend if nothing upsets the plan on Friday. :)
Good luck - I hope all goes well with both the car and Friday. :D
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I am not concerned about the car I think its a good car. Friday on the other hand that's an entirely different matter. :(

Oversize

Grand Master
Any chance we can make a separate thread for car polish? I fear it'll be difficult to search for this info in the future....

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Probably could do but I will require better than my restricted internet at the moment. :(

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian yes . I will pick up this weekend after having a win today. :D