100 Octane

More threads by Oversize

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I don't use 95 because I don't think it's well supported so it could be contaminated.... And it's really not much more for 98

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My advice from those who know is to use 95 only in low compression engines as 98 will leave a deposit on plugs if the compression and temperature reached is not high enough to burn it off. In fact I used 98 in the PV and fouled the plugs but no issue since cleaning them and going back to 95.
I would be the only person here who should use 95 and anyone else should be using 98 as it is a cleaner running petrol (contains more detergents or more correctly hydrocarbons) and burns well at high temperature.
When Shell made a 100 octane I used to use it in the Spirit and it did give a better idle but the Spirit was made to take ethanol if required.
Otherwise I do not touch anything containing ethanol simply because it has a low calorific value.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
I use 98 in my Euro 450 and 6.9.
Even with 98 my 6.9 will sometimes detonate on a hot day.

Bill

Hi Bill, did I see correctly your petrol reference to the 450 ? Is it now back in road use or are you referring to an earlier period ?

Interesting statement regarding your 6.9. I can confirm that I have never experienced detonation problems with Gleaming Beauty. (Still have the Jazz ?)

Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
For years I have been using 95 in all of my cars. However, with the Honda jazz it's been 98 since purchase date, even though apparently 91 would be acceptable. Lately, it's been 98 for both the 420 and Gleaming Beauty as well. Especially, the 420 seems to pull more cleanly and powerfully. The 6.9 -it's just power and torque from the first squeeze of the throttle. Nice. Regards. Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
I use 98 in everything petrol powered, including my ride on mower, generator & self propelled mower, all 4 stroke, and the brush cutter, hedger, chainsaw, pole saw and blower, all 2 stroke. The owners manuals for the garden machines all stipulate no ethanol

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Have you started a Jims Franchise Ant :) . And Bill if your 450 is back on the road pictures and details please. :)

abl567

Super Moderator
Yes I need a gardener, and no I haven't started a franchise.
But both posts made me laugh out loud! :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
You could always copy Burt Munroe . :):):)

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have never used etanol of any blend or octane in my 6.9.
It has a low compression Australian engine.
It will happily and safely consume any currently available fuel that DOES NOT have ethanol added.
It is usually fuelled with 95 or 98 octane.

I think there is a requirement by law that the fuels currently avaliable at servos must be clearly labelled to indicate if there is any ethanol added.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi David being Australian model you should be fine with 95 octane . Maybe the occasional tank of 98 octane say on 40 degree day with air on.:)

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I understand why there are less pre detonation problems with higher octane fuels in higher compression ratio engines.
The higher the octane rating, the slower the burn rate of the fuel / air charge in the cylinder.
Higher octane fuels give a more even impetus to pushing the piston down the cylinder bore, but that requirement is not so important in lower compression ratio engines.

One reason why I use 98 is when unleaded 98 was introduced, it was also the first fuel to include some extra cleaning agents to keep injectors clean. Now, 95 also shares these extra cleaning properties. I used to use an injector cleaner with 95, but I don't now.

98 will also make an engine run a little smoother but I will concede that the difference is almost un noticeable with the Australian / American spec. lower compression ratio ratio engines.

Euro spec. engines 8.8 /1, Australian / American spec. engines 8.0 / 1. Australian engines were less strangled with anti pollution equipment, therefore three max. power and torque ratings.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes I agree Australian spec should be fine with 95

WGB

Hi Bill, did I see correctly your petrol reference to the 450 ? Is it now back in road use or are you referring to an earlier period ?

Interesting statement regarding your 6.9. I can confirm that I have never experienced detonation problems with Gleaming Beauty. (Still have the Jazz ?)

Regards Styria

Hi Styria,

i still have the 450 but yes I am referring to an earlier period.

i also still have the Jazz which has been commandeered by Kelly (my next "She who must be obeyed from 17th January 2015 onwards") and I think it has gone through about 30,000 trouble free Km - she is looking forward towards her ML 350 Bluetech which should arrive in about 6 weeks.

At the moment I am driving my BA Falcon with a burst every couple of days with the 6.9 - nice to see some black brake dust on the 6.9 front wheels.

Looking forward to my new CLS 500 which also has an ETA in about 6 weeks.

Cheers
Bill

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Very cool Bill looking forward to pictures of new toy . And congratulations on up coming wedding. :)