More threads by Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
just need some new whel arch moulds...:p

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
MB Spares has them, well did at the time I ordered new ones,
they were about $170 new from memory.

I'll give them a call when I return home.
Thanks Des..

Des

I don't know if it matters....but the new ones are stainless whereas the older ones where, I believe brass then chrome plated.

This is the same story as the hubcaps, genuine 70's MB hubcaps were chrome over brass, now days they are stainless steel.

I don't know visually if there is any differences.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I don't know if it matters....but the new ones are stainless whereas the older ones where, I believe brass then chrome plated.
This is the same story as the hubcaps, genuine 70's MB hubcaps were chrome over brass, now days they are stainless steel.

I am not too fussed... I'll consider aftermarket stuff.
My car is modified and as such I don't worry too much about originality of the parts I use, as long as they are of decent quality.

OzBenzHead

Master

Unless you do a side-by-side comparison there is little difference. It's only when directly comparing them that the superior quality of the plated brass ones shows up noticeably.

Hub caps in brass? Never seen 'em - but among my '50s, '60s, and '70s Benzes I have a mix of plated mild steel and polished stainless. There's a distinct difference in sound when blasted with the garden hose: the mild steel sounds solid and rather muffled; the stainless sounds tinny and loud.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, I'll get that organizewd for you within the next two days - meaning by Friday - anyone else ?

Hmmm.... those wheels - whatever happened to them ? I take it that the guy must have sold them. So, instead of road wheels, how about a nice and fancy leather cum burr walnut steering wheel in the correct 116 size - they are very nice to look at and lovely to the touch. Can I tempt you Michel ?:mad: Regards, Styria (with a couple of reds under belly - el cheapo, but very mellow and tastes great).

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
how about a nice and fancy leather cum burr walnut steering wheel in the correct 116 size - they are very nice to look at and lovely to the touch. Can I tempt you Michel.

It is very tempting...:p

I still aim to have that timber and leather steering wheel as well as the 19" chrome wheels..

It's a matter of allocating funds.... :rolleyes:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
What's money - it is just a matter of shuffling it around. Regarding wheel arch moulds. Obviously, as already related, two types available. Personally, I much prefer the chrome on brass units as they do have a better shine and are not nearly as prone to scratching as the stainless units. Not sure of availability on an every day basis, but I can get them for about $260.00 for the set.

Regarding your steering wheel - do you know if Andrew still wants your Italvolanti unit ? You may have forgotten, but Jammer promised you a steering wheel which was part of the ebay lot that he purchased from Crayford. He wants me to pass on that wheel to you, but you need to know that, at best, it can be changed to the burr walnut/leather rimmed wheel. Other than that, you would not want to put it on your car. Over to you. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What's money - it is just a matter of shuffling it around. Regarding wheel arch moulds. Obviously, as already related, two types available. Personally, I much prefer the chrome on brass units as they do have a better shine and are not nearly as prone to scratching as the stainless units. Not sure of availability on an every day basis, but I can get them for about $260.00 for the set.

Regarding your steering wheel - do you know if Andrew still wants your Italvolanti unit ? You may have forgotten, but Jammer promised you a steering wheel which was part of the ebay lot that he purchased from Crayford. He wants me to pass on that wheel to you, but you need to know that, at best, it can be changed to the burr walnut/leather rimmed wheel. Other than that, you would not want to put it on your car. Over to you. Regards, Styria

PM sent ;)

oscar

Can I chip in re wheel arch moulds. I just want to add my experience with chrome v SS. I have both. SS scratches very easily. The first scratch on mine was caused by my thumbnail. I was dissappointed with them, even though the scratches fit in well with the rest of my car.:rolleyes: But the chromed brass ones are great. Tougher, heavier and reflection/colour of them looks real. Worth the extra $.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Can I chip in re wheel arch moulds. I just want to add my experience with chrome v SS. I have both. SS scratches very easily. The first scratch on mine was caused by my thumbnail. I was dissappointed with them, even though the scratches fit in well with the rest of my car.:rolleyes: But the chromed brass ones are great. Tougher, heavier and reflection/colour of them looks real. Worth the extra $.

Thanks Oscar..... :D
You've just tipped the balance in favour of chromed brass... ;)

OzBenzHead

Master
but....can you buy them new? I wasn't aware of anywhere that sold the old style ones brand new
When I spoke to John Green about them last year, he said that the brass ones were available - at a price. I took that to mean that he could get them or knew where to.

Andrew280SEL

I bought SS wheel arch moulds for my 350SE, for $165 from Carshine: http://www.carshine.com.au/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38_43&products_id=132

For the price I can't complain, and they haven't got any scratches (yet). Look great too.

I was gonna buy some proper original ones from MB Spares, but they were totally unhelpful. So I just snatched these ones up. Admittedly though, they were a bit of a bi#ch to fit, at least to fit on my own.

I don't know if it's possible to cut the and polish scratches out or not....it would probably just add more scratches...:rolleyes:

Des

I was gonna buy some proper original ones from MB Spares, but they were totally unhelpful.

chrome wheel arch trims are all after market additions, they are not a factory item.

Yes John himself is a very nice and helpful guy, sometimes some of the other staff can be a bit off handed or seem to have "i don't care" attitude

Andrew280SEL

chrome wheel arch trims are all after market additions, they are not a factory item.

Oh...really?

I didn't know that. I assumed they were an option at the factory, as my dad's Milan Brown 450SEL has some that I thought were there from the factory (although having just looked at them, they are fit very poorly. Like, jammed on and had the rubber strips smacked over them).

And my 350SE apparently had them before I bought it, but the original owner took them off for another W116 of his.

But anyway, interesting info Des thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for diverting the thread further Styria...:eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Andrew and everyone else in TOPKLASSE country,

We are going along nicely on this tack, so let's stick with it. I can get a good supply of chrome over brass wheel arch moulds, and the price has just been confirmed at $268.00 each set. That's for starters.

Steering Wheels - on exchange. If anyone wants the latest super/duper burr walnut and leather combination, it will set you back $700.00, with a change over period of about six weeks. The normal price is $800.00, but I have been able to strike up a special deal on behalf of TOPKLASSE members.

So, the ball is in everybody's court. That's all from me for the time being. Regards, Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Regarding the AMG reproduction spoilers - as you know, they have been priced at $375.00 each which, when compared with the cost of an original AMG unit, or those supplied as kits by other organizations, is a very favourable and reasonable price.

As we also all know, nothing stays at fixed prices forever, what with inflation, cost of materials, profit margins etc. etc. - it is not a good scenario. These spoilers, and their cost, are therefore also subject to price variations. In this instance, I am pleased to relate that the variation is DOWNWARD to $345.00 each. So, for the time being, that is the current purchase price. Regards, Styria

Des

I think this would look good on some cars is to have the AMG logo on the front spoiler highlighted with a sticker or to paint it,

image7542.png