Turbo Charging

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Google GFB (gofastbits.co.au ) based in Sydney with a World Wide Market.
Our C 250 CGI was still a bit sluggish compared to our C200 CGI with Torque 500 RPM after the C200 round Town. "The Atomic Boost Controller" smartened the immediate Throttle response quite a bit. It is installed "after" the Factory Electronic Controller in the Vacuum Line and lets the Turbo Produce about 3/4 lbs more Max Boost.
Also Boosts Torque. which comes in stronger from around 1500 RPM.Car is much more derivable. Though it is but a band Aid on the Factory setup for Torque higher in the Rev Range. That can't be altered.:D
Too much adjustment on the Controller triggers Limp Mode... ask me how I know !

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Google GFB (gofastbits.co.au ) based in Sydney with a World Wide Market.
Our C 250 CGI was still a bit sluggish compared to our C200 CGI with Torque 500 RPM after the C200 round Town. "The Atomic Boost Controller" smartened the immediate Throttle response quite a bit. It is installed "after" the Factory Electronic Controller in the Vacuum Line and lets the Turbo Produce about 3/4 lbs more Max Boost.
Also Boosts Torque. which comes in stronger from around 1500 RPM.Car is much more derivable. Though it is but a band Aid on the Factory setup for Torque higher in the Rev Range. That can't be altered.:D
Too much adjustment on the Controller triggers Limp Mode... ask me how I know !
How do you know?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Good results keep coming... On a run with 100 to 110 KPH Motorway Speeds today I averaged 7 litres/100K. down from 8.3 on the same conditions. Similar Traffic and Temperature etc. Turbo now spools up from 1500RPM by holding the Waste Gate closed longer .. It is linear up to 6000RPM. Transmission in the S position for later shifts to prevent the Engine lugging at low Revs, below 2000 revs .It will now pull strongly from 1500RPM, if I let it, in the D position.
The Engine doesn't sound or feel stressed but the result is additional load on the Big End bearings from the added Boost low down.
This Manual Boost Controller can be added to any Turbo as most have a very conservative set up. But be careful not to add too much Boost... disaster.:cool:

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well I did again increase the Boost after reading that with the correct boost level the performance should mimic a V8... instant torque on the open Road.
"Maybe the ECU has now adjuster its self to accommodate more air flow,"
I read that to retro Fit a Reversing Camera to the Mercedes screen system it takes an over night set to the down load the change.
Only then will the Camera image show up on the Screen.
The C200 now leaps forward at a touch of the throttle. Much, much more responsive to Drive.
A penalty of fuel consumption from 7.5 to 8.5, down to Wollongong. today.
Also half a turn adjustment on the C250 improved response round the Suburbs.
A full turn it did not like ... Engine felt strained. Now it doesn't complain.
Like Kanas City ... "we have gone about as far as we can go"

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,

Be careful as any engine running more boost that it’s design allows, can be catastrophic.
The main things are.
Turbo charger failure.
Charge air cooler (intercooler) failure.
Destroying bottom end bearings.
Cylinder head, and cylinder head gasket damage.

Does your car run a charge air cooler?
If so, is it air to air, or air to coolant?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Not sure what you mean Patrick about Charge Air Cooler ??
But advice taken about too much Turbo boost....
Reduced to the half Turn on the C200 and also the C250...
Mild boost increase is ok
It was fun while it lasted !!

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,
A charge air cooler is the correct term for what we most know the item as an “intercooler”

This device is like a big radiator (air to air) where in the first instance the compressed hot air direct from the turbo charger impeller (turbine is the hot part of the turbocharger that is driven by the hot exhaust gases, the impeller is the cooler part of the turbocharger that interacts and compresses cool filtered air from the air cleaner.) is directed through this cooler, to bring the temperature of the compressed air down. The cooler the filtered air, the “thinner” it is which means you can get more into the combination chamber, which then means you can inject more fuel, so the more air/fuel mixture the more power is yielded from this single combustion.

In the below image, the “to inlet manifold” is the charged or compressed air that will go through the cooler, before it enters the inlet manifold system.
0FF5398B-30D7-4578-B6EC-BC77F65BFBA7.png

Some cars have these, some don’t, that’s why I asked the question.
If yours does, it would only be made to handle a certain pressure, so more pressure in this system, the more chance of it, and all of its associated hoses and fittings failing.

If anyone has an intercooler system, or a turbo system running rubber hoses, and you would like to know what the pressure feels like.
Squeeze or press the hoses (as you would while checking radiator hoses) when the car is turned off.
Very soft and playable.

Start the car, and after it is warm, give it a good momentary rev (someone else may need to help) all the way to full throttle while trying to squeeze the charged hoses.
Some can get rock hard with pressure.

There is also an air to coolant intercooler system, where they use coolant, to keep the charged air cool as it exits the turbo impeller.
These are fairly rare, and pretty horrible if the system fails due to over clocking the pressure in the system.
This can result in coolant entering the combination chamber, and we all know what happens then.
Here are two typical intercooler instillations.
Front mount
7ECD6BD3-D437-4B05-9076-A2FAA6004459.jpeg
The front mount gets cool air through the grill.

Top mount
BF74B52F-3FED-485B-AA89-1A914E2B3110.jpeg
The top mount will get its cool air through a bonnet scoop or inlet as per the Mini Cooper S above and below
48BEB83B-8E2D-4912-9AFD-AD189AB99A80.jpeg
The Cooper S Mini, is using a supercharger, however the charged air still needs to be cooled for best performance.

Let me know if you need to know more about superchargers.

Last edited: