Wanted: Turbo diesel car

More threads by -bb-

-bb-

Noble
Wanted:

Turbo diesel car (not ute, van or SUV) with automatic transmission up to about $5k. Must be roadworthy and registered. Not interested in anything that needs work - I need to be able to jump in and drive it.

Age, make, model, colour and other details open. I'm more interested in finding a good car over exactly what it is.

I am located in Canberra, but will travel for the right car.

Actively looking and have cash ready to go.

As a side - if anyone is interested in a very well maintained and very good condition VX series 2 Commodore as a swap or trade I am open to discussing this as well.

260ebenz

Master
-bb- good luck with your search for a turbo Diesel car.

Motec can you help find -bb- his next car?

-bb- would you like to let us know which make and model car you have your heart set on?

Cheers.

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Those who know me here know the huge km's I do. I bought the commodore as a second (ok, third) car for this purpose and it has been a very comfortable and reliable car over the 75000k's I have put on it, but the petrol bill kills me - especially the prices we pay here in Canberra.

Quite open as to what. It will be for mostly highway/distance driving so prefer at least a medium size car. Oddball and less common brands don't scare me - I own a 6.9 so anything else is cheap/easy to maintain by comparison.

I looked at a Citroen C5 during the week and it was ugly, but a very nice, comfortable and fully featured car. Not sure whether I will progress this yet - the bloke wants top dollar for a car that is not worth top dollar so I might do some handball negotiation and see what happens.

Maybe I will own two cars with hydro suspension :D

Other common options appear to be Holden Astra and Peugeot 306 and 406.

If I could get a good Merc turbo diesel in the price range, I would jump on it!

260ebenz

Master
Well Brendon let's see if we can help you find that turbo Diesel you are after.

Keep an eye on the MB Spares website they always have a great choice of Mercedes for sale.

May I go off topic just a little?

How is the 6.9 going Brendon?

Cheers.

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
The 6.9 is going great. I had it out during the week. I recently sunk some $ into it for some repairs I have been putting off and I figured it was about time to do them ...and it needed to pass rego. Funny thing is, it passed easily on the mechanical aspects but got bounced on the bloody window tint despite the very same tint passing rego every other time.

260ebenz

Master
Good to hear the 6.9 is back out on the roads as a Benz should be!

That is a bit rough about the window tinting not passing the inspection!
:rolleyes:

All the best with the 6.9 Brendon.

I should get this post back on topic before I get into trouble?!
:(

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
In due course I will get it re tinted with *ahem* slightly lighter tint.

My mates wont be able to call it the Mafia car anymore ;)

260ebenz

Master
I have Family and Friends that tell me I drive around in a Mafia car that joke I do not find funny!

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
...I also get the pimp machine and several others. All good - I take the piss back at them perfectly good. My mother calls it "that old bomb" and whenever she comes to visit will not ride in it. My sister just says it smells old lol. My Mrs doesn't mind it and says it's ok as long as I'm paying for it and not her :D Having said that, she absolutely loves her 2009 Camry Grande to the point of naming it... which I dont get... because it's a Camry.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brendan as I PM you yesterday while trying to stay of the forum to allow others to post. Their is very little under 5000 but if you go up to 7500 it increases a lot. See attached every Diesel hatch,sedan,wagon in ACT/NSW between 5000 to 7500 listed from lowest mileage up. And seeing as it is mileage you are doing lots of lowest starting point would be good. http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...an]){|}BodyStyle{=}[Wagon]))&sortby=~Odometer

Styria

The Godfather
Brendon, I tend to think that you need to be very careful when looking at purchasing an 'older' turbo charged diesel car. With your financial stipulation, you will need to purchase an older car, and maintenance and repair on a European car of that vintage will be costly. If you think 6.9s are expensive to maintain, try the European variety. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Prior to purchase of the Honda Jazz, I had my eye on a 200B Turbo Diesel, at 16.5K., about five years old. It seemed an excellent deal money wise, to the extent that Michel reckoned that it wasn't fair dinkum. Anyway, it was in QLD and I wasn't prepared to chase it. However, I have heard some horror stories about the 200B, and they are not that old yet. Good luck with your endeavours. Regards. Styria

BTW, that Citroen C5 looks great - that's got to be tempting, but Citroen in Australia ? There is a member on TK, by the name of Ofontenay - he is an ex Citroen owner and so is CraigS. Good people to talk to about Citroens.

N.B. This is the car for illustrative purposes.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2823202&Cr=8

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Personally as I told Brendan by PM I would look for an I30 Hyundai work has a few on the island were maintenance is how do I put it not maintenance. And since 2009 they have done around 150000km with out a single one having any break downs just normal servicing . And most driving on rough dirt roads as only the residential parts of the island have sealed roads. And if he gets SLX version it has cruise. And service parts for them are reasonable gone are the days of the excel.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Sorry about raising price Brendan but not a lot under 5 unfortunately. Do they still have Belconnen Car market. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Wanted:
Turbo diesel car (not ute, van or SUV) with automatic transmission up to about $5k. Must be roadworthy and registered. Not interested in anything that needs work - I need to be able to jump in and drive it.

You're simply playing with fire.
Any TD in that price range is old and/or with high mileage.

You think a part-time 6.9 is expensive???

Please rethink, either go up in your budget (ie double-it would pay itself in the long run) or stick to your trusty Holden that only cost you fuel, not all the extra problems you might get from an old over worn diesel.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Which is why I was suggesting an I30 Hyundai . As they have been very reliable cars in 5 years with work on CI and there are versions under 10 with not extreme mileage on them. And when I say they are not looked after I mean it over on the island. Mostly dirt road travel serviced when someone remembers usually 30000 to 40000km before someone will change the oil . they have been abused and not had any real maintenance and everything still works on them. Last time on the island one was getting near 200k. :eek::eek::eek: