Sphere longevity

More threads by MercedesMike

PvD

Mountain Dweller
I have just received from parts4export 3 front accumulators which are advertised as Lemforder but are actually Febi with the number 03279 space whith a H encircled then number 00378016/75. From the discussion above these sound inferior to the Lemforder advertised. My question is should I fit these? Any help would be appreciated.
Peter

abl567

Super Moderator
Welcome to TK Peter, I don't have an answer to your question but others more voiced in 6.9 matters will chime in (I have a 6.3 and a 450SE so they let me play here).
We are almost neighbours, I live in East Kurrajong:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have just received from parts4export 3 front accumulators which are advertised as Lemforder but are actually Febi with the number 03279 space whith a H encircled then number 00378016/75. From the discussion above these sound inferior to the Lemforder advertised. My question is should I fit these? Any help would be appreciated.
Peter

Hi Peter,

As far as I know, Febi and Lemfoerder are as good as each other...
Only the Godfather (STYRIA) might be able to correct me on this one.

Styria

The Godfather
Peter, if you've bought them, by all means fit them. I mean really, what else can you do? They are really too expensive an item not to utilise them. Personally speaking from past experience, I have found the longevity factor applicable quite disappointing - after about two to three years (3 max.), you're starting to notice that ride quality is being affected. In the olden days, you'd count on a working life of about eight to ten years - that was the time when 6.9 units carried their own part number. What you're buying today are W126 units. In closing, Lemfoerders are my preference. Regards, Styria

PvD

Mountain Dweller
Thanks abl567, Michel and Styria,
I have ordered rears also and when I receive these I will fit them all.
Previously the rears were replaced in 2007. The car presently drives like a pogo stick in motion. I will let you now what the rears were when I remove them.
Regards,
Peter

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm pleased the air bellows for the far superior air suspension on the legendary 109 chassis automobiles last much longer than that;)

Runs and hides

Oversize

Grand Master
You might be hiding but we can still see you!!!!! ;):D

What Styria said....

PvD

Mountain Dweller
I have received the rear accumulators, these were Lemforders. I am about to start the replacement. The advice I have received indicates I should clean the reservoir. My question is can I reclaim some of the fluid to reuse?
Regards

PvD

Mountain Dweller
Further to reusing the hydraulic fluid, if I want to replace all the fluid @ $60/litre for genuine MB fluid it could be quite costly. Penrite have equivalent MB343 and MB345 but the MB manual quotes MB344, what is the recommendation by those who know?

Styria

The Godfather
You could save fluid, but it will more than likely be aerated. Once you crack the lines, you will probably lose most of the stuff anyway. The little you might save is not worth hanging on to. The Reservoir - to clean that properly, you will need to remove it from the car altogether. It is surprising how much sludge you're likely to find in the bottom, usually reachable by swilling it out several times, probably with Kerosene.

In order to remove the reservoir, you will have to disconnect the hosing from under the front guard, and leave it attached to the reservoir. There is no way that you can disconnect the hose from the reservoir whilst in situ. Get yourself some new hosing whilst you are at it - the old staff will be hard and brittle. Good luck with the job. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Imparts supplies the correct fluid for a reasonable price, I believe. Does anyone have a part number and I'll do some homework tomorrow.

PvD

Mountain Dweller
The information in the Service Manual is as follows:
'Oil grade Hydraulic oil (refer to Specification for service product sheet 344)'
With a foot note: 'Available in 1-litre cans part no. 000 989 85 03'
Is this of any help?
Is there a recommended supplier for the hoses?
Regards,
Peter

abl567

Super Moderator
Peter, to my mind the recommended supplier for all M100 parts is the Classic Centre in Irvine, CA. The prices are usually 1/4 to 1/2 local prices and they arrive quicker, 3-4 days if in stock.

Oversize

Grand Master
Like ATF, even if hydraulic oil has become aerated it will self-bleed if the air/gas can escape to the atmosphere. In the SLS system it can be a problem as it doesn't constantly circulate the fluid through the whole system. Strange that I've heard it's self-bleeding, yet they still included bleed nipples?

ATF only takes 10minutes or so to rid itself of unwanted air and I doubt hydraulic oil would take much longer since the viscosity is similar.

Imparts and HSY sell OEM fluid for around $15 per litre (last time I checked) however they only sell to those in the industry, not retail to car owners.

I have it on good authority that Nulon ISO32 is almost the same as OEM SLS fluid and if you buy 20L from Supercheap you'll pay around $5 per litre.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Hydraulic_Fluids/ISO_32_Hydraulic_Fluid/#.UgOIzlR--71

If I'm right you can thank me later... ;):D

Last edited:

abl567

Super Moderator
Imparts no longer stock it:(

PvD

Mountain Dweller
Can anybody advise me regarding the accumulator hoses since I got the attached email (I hope it is attached, new to site and only partially computer literate) when I enquirer with MBUSA. I only intend to replace the flexible hoses but cannot tell from the part numbers which is the flexible hose. Since the flexible hose are at the front and the back the part number 1269974082 would appear to be the correct item. Would appreciate any help and advice?
Confused,
Peter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 9

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Peter,
From the EPC those part numbers are valid, check the attached pdf to verify they are the parts you require

Attachments

• accumulatorhoses.pdf
    603 KB · Views: 10

Styria

The Godfather
What appears to be part number 335 (I think) is in fact a steel pipe with the appropriate fittings to take the flexible hose. It might also pay to remember, Peter, that you will not be able to remove/refit the flexible hose until the strut is removed from the car. It is a bench job. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Further to reusing the hydraulic fluid, if I want to replace all the fluid @ $60/litre for genuine MB fluid it could be quite costly. Penrite have equivalent MB343 and MB345 but the MB manual quotes MB344, what is the recommendation by those who know?

I've tracked down a local supply for $20.64 per litre

It is Febi bilstein 06215

BWA Automotive 9838 7373
Located in Seven Hills just around the corner from my factory