Sphere longevity

More threads by MercedesMike

Styria

The Godfather
I would probably chose Lemfoerder units at this point of time. To be honest, you don't really know which brand is the best and longest lasting. Febi longevity is definitely marginal - possibly about three years, four maximum. Mark, most suppliers in the states will not ship air cells overseas - I do have one source that is prepared to ship by air freight, but I have been advised by them to keep the information 'under my hat'. They were able to supply Lemfoerders (NOT easy to come by) at the time. If you need any units, please let me know and I will approach them once again. Regards Styria

BTW, MB prices are HUMONGOUS, and Tom in the states is unable to ship them by Air Freight.

Oversize

Grand Master
Please do Styria as I'll need everything; and more than once!!! I know the front cells need to be replaced, along with the central one. I'm just sorting wheel / tyre issues now before checking the rest of Red Bull and putting together a list of parts that are required.

Tony66_au

Im going to buy a second hand set shortly for the Wagon, Infact Im going to buy a set and just fit the one that keeps popping so I have a spare when it too Pops.

Funny you should mention the FEBI units are marginal because thats what i have replaced and the originals were also FEBI.

Oversize

Grand Master
I wonder if non-standard wheels n tyres would effect the life of the cells, being that we've just discovered that some can weigh at least 5kg more than the original Bundts? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I tend to think that longevity would not be unduly compromised. Michel has had Febis' on his Red Terror for about two years and they appear up to the job at the moment. Mind you, I was the only one that put decent mileage on it over a period of about twelve months - I'd say 12k. kms. SEL 69L's Febi front units only lasted about three years, with absolutely minimal mileage, and Ofenteney's 6.9 has had Febi all round for about , say twelve months ? The suspension on his 6.9 is excellent.

If you need spheres, please confirm that you want me to check with that supplier in the States. As is now known, it is becoming very difficult to have these air freighted, and there is a reason for that, and it has been explained to me. It's a story with no valid rhyme nor reason, but that's how it is. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Shouldn't think so, perhaps 21's with liquorice straps would knock em about a bit harder but I cant see it making a huge difference as they are purely used for damping rate as far as I know.

Tony66_au

Air freight?

Nitrogen gas in the cells can expand in sub zero temps and high altitudes and there is a risk of explosion.

Perfectly understandable even if it is a pain in the backside.

Oversize

Grand Master
Anyone got a tinny and some oars??? :D;)

Styria YES please.... PM if necessary!

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I've never replied to your query regarding the colour of the suspension pipes. I have reason to believe that they were powdercoated in a sort of olive green colour. It reminds me of ROVER (cars) in the sixties - all bolts were a slight olive green in colour as well. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Coated pipes look nice and I'll look into that further after the more important stuff is complete. I'll certainly be looking at something more durable than the original coating, because there's almost not trace of it left.

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria any luck sourcing good cells??

Styria

The Godfather
My apologies Mark, I will ring the States tomorrow morning. It's not always possible to get hold of the people immediately, but I will try. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I have found this old picture from three years ago which show the three different spheres on my 6.9.

The OEM red spot sphere is in the central sphere position - the rear has two Lemfoerder blue spots and the front has two red spot Febi's.

Spheres1.jpg

The left one is an OEM one with M-B markings and weighs 2.5 kg. It is physically a little larger than the other two.

The middle one is one I took from the rear and is identical to the Lemfoerder that replaced it so I would think it is a Lemfoerder - it is noticeably smaller in dimensions and has a cut-out bracket in lighter gauge steel and this particular sphere is probably a bit short on Nitrogen Gas - it weighs 1.5kg. It almost looks like new and could easily pass for a near new second hand sale but on the car it was SNAFU.

The one on the right is a Febi - it has no red marking but the box has the same part number as the OEM red spot one. It is superficially similar to the OEM one but is again slightly smaller than the OEM and weighs 2 Kg.

I guess we will see which brand fails first with the passing of time.

Bill

Judging by this post it seems the Febis are better?? But later posts suggest they don't last long.... I'd still tend to go for the Febis, as they appear much studier than the Lems.

Styria

The Godfather
No Mark, as Bill points out, the middle unit being a rear one, is smaller than the front units. It is a long time since I weighed any units, but from memory Lemfoerders are the sturdiest and probably made by that company for Daimler Benz. I have finally been able to connect with the supplier in the States, and he has indicated that not only will he try and locate some, but also suggested that they are quite difficult to come by. When I bought the last lot, they took about a fortnight.

Now, regarding shelf life. Unless there is a date stamped on the cell itself, there is no way of telling how long they've been on the shelf for. That could apply to any of them, including the ones stocked by Daimler. Yet, one should check out their pricing - it is substantial. I will contact you as soon as I have further news. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

Does anyone have the parts book to list the part numbers of the SLS Spheres and their application?

I believe that the last time I got a price on them for my Wagon it had a 140 prefix instead of a 123 or 124 so obviously there is some cross over in models.

Their construct is basic enough to (I suspect) use the relative sizes and line entry points as a fair basis for compatibility and I cant really see any major difference internally other than perhaps the nitrogen charge although id suspect this would be unlikely.

When I do my Wagon (AGAIN!) im going to section the defective pod at the joints and have a look at the way they are built and how the diaphragm is fitted as it surely cant be THAT hard to repair......

Or alternatively if anyone has an electronic form of parts guide?

Oversize

Grand Master
Air freight?

Nitrogen gas in the cells can expand in sub zero temps and high altitudes and there is a risk of explosion.

Perfectly understandable even if it is a pain in the backside.

I don't get this explanation. Cold things normally shrink thereby reducing pressure. Aircraft normally pressurize at high altitude and I'm sure it'd be far lower than the hydraulic pressure applied when fitted to a car. Even if the aircraft de-pressurized during an emergency, the only thing that could fail (a very remote possibility), would be the diaphram. Nitrogen gas is non-toxic and non-flammable. Is it yet another case of the 'nanny' striking again??

How does heavy industry get around this issue of transporting accumulators on aircraft??? Surely they don't rely on surface transport??

Would these concerns 'ground' a Unimog from transportation in a C5, or C17?? In case anyone didn't realize it, the military carry real bombs!!! :confused:

Tony66_au

LOL Mark I didnt say I agreed with the BS they spout.....................

Which was why I paid nearly $180 each instead of $74 each but as always it is down to the post 9/11 hype and spin.

And yes their rational doesn't add up, the same as mobile phones and fuel.......

Oversize

Grand Master
LOL Mark I didnt say I agreed with the BS they spout.....................

Which was why I paid nearly $180 each instead of $74 each but as always it is down to the post 9/11 hype and spin.

And yes their rational doesn't add up, the same as mobile phones and fuel.......

Hahahahahahaahaha! LOL! :D