Sphere longevity

More threads by MercedesMike

Oversize

Grand Master
or old crazy women :p :D :eek:

Good one!! LOL!!! While we're making submissions, I'd like mocassins in public to be outlawed as well!!!!! :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian only if you drive a Prius then most definately lol:D

mathew

Im getting conflicting reports on what signals a buggered sphere.

My wagon's rear end sits high and is as hard as a rock so it skips and bounces but not because of soft suspension but because its as hard as a rock.
Can someone enlighten me please?

Im also told that they had a filter fitted later on to the low pressure return.
I believe that indicates the rear has been set far to high, easily done when servicing the system. There is a lever that needs to be operated when filling the reseveror and a lot of people fill the system not realising they have raised the car to high. Drain and reset the level DO NOT ADJUST THE LENGTH OF THE LEVER/ROD UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!

Cheers Mat

Oversize

Grand Master
Do we have the part numbers for the cells??

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
There is / were? three maunfactutres of spheres for a 6.9:
1. Fichtel & Sachs
2. Lemforder
3. Bilstein

Personal opinion has been expressed to me that Lemforder lasts by far the longest.

Don't know if Fichtel & Sachs have made spheres for 6.9' for some years. I know that I have never seen this brand fitted to a 6.9. As far as I know, they are still active, and make similar equipment for railway and trucking applications.

Bilstein units are still easily obtained.

Verbal advice from the Citroen Club (Brisbane) to me, is that hydraulic spheres can be refurbished for re use. I may be able to get the the All French Car Day at Silverwater; If I do, I will ask a few Citroen car Club members to confirm the re furbishment of hydralic spheres.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
A couple of interesting snippets. Firstly Mark, the ebay price quoted for the front spheres is very reasonable. However, would they air freight to Australia, given restrictions being placed on the sending of "dangerous goods" ? Worthwhile investigating. I am also greatly intrigued by the mention of Styria3139 in their advertisement - strange, as I do not know the company nor have I ever carried out any transactions with them. I suppose it will have to be put down as to being a mystery.

SEL69L, David, as you know, we have been through this exercise before. Definitely, the Citroen units being different in detail of manufacture, appear to be rebuildable. I personally I had saved up about twenty accumulators that were worn out, with a view to trying to have them rebuilt. I was given the name of a company in Glebe. In the end, I decided it was all too much, and eventually they found their way into the rubbish bin.Not very helpful, I know, but where do you start, and where do you finish ? :mad: Regards Styria

N.B. Please let me know the date of the French Day - last time I went, it was an interesting day.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have just come back from the All French Day at Silverwater.
I went there for one reasdon only.
To ask about refurbisment of suspension spheres.
I asked a SM owner if he knew anything about this issue.

Paydirt! answer:
There is a guy in Tasmania, who is currently active in this area.
I have his email address.
If interested sometime in the future, ask Styria.
He would be the logical guy to ask, and I have given him the email address.

Oversize

Grand Master
As can be seen from the earlier posts in this thread the MB cells can be modified. The benefit that I can see is that it may extend the life of the cells. As most of us know rubber is porus and this means the cells will slowly lose pressure over time. If they were filled with air it'd be even worse since air molecules are smaller than nitrogen. That's why some choose to fill their tyres with air so they'll stay inflated for longer. I'm sure there's other benefits too.

However if the cell membrane has failed there's no saving the cell and unless someone has a way to cut them open, replace the membrane and perfectly weld them back together they're only good for scrap metal.

Referring to them as 'dangerous goods' is a load of BS since they're only filled with inert nitrogen gas. Although extremely unlikely, the rubber membrane would be the first thing to fail in the event of extremely low (or high), cabin pressures. And I'm sure pressures at those extremes would not sustain life anyway.

Personally I'll be shopping for a retailer that sees sense and doesn't label them as anything but car suspension parts. The Citroen guys don't seem to have this trouble! :mad::confused::(:eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
Chalk and cheese!! Looks like those are repairable, but I bet you can only get bits from RR at unspeakable prices.... :rolleyes:

Oversize

Grand Master
Specifically:

(4) Accumulators intended to function as shock absorbers, struts, gas springs, pneumatic springs or other impact or energy-absorbing devices are not subject to the requirements of this subchapter provided each:

(i) Has a gas space capacity not exceeding 1.6 L and a charge pressure not exceeding 280 bar, where the product of the capacity expressed in liters and charge pressure expressed in bars does not exceed 80 (for example, 0.5 L gas space and 160 bar charge pressure);

(ii) Has a minimum burst pressure of 4 times the charge pressure at 20 °C for products not exceeding 0.5 L gas space capacity and 5 times the charge pressure for products greater than 0.5 L gas space capacity;

(iii) Design type has been subjected to a fire test demonstrating that the article relieves its pressure by means of a fire degradable seal or other pressure relief device, such that the article will not fragment and that the article does not rocket; and

(iv) Accumulators must be manufactured under a written quality assurance program which monitors parameters controlling burst strength, burst mode and performance in a fire situation as specified in paragraphs (f)(4)(i) through (f)(4)(iii) of this section. A copy of the quality assurance program must be maintained at each facility at which the accumulators are manufactured.

Oversize

Grand Master
WOW!! Maybe I should..... errr no! ;)