Sphere longevity

More threads by MercedesMike

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Can anybody advise or had experience with Penrite MB15 hydraulic fluid sold by www.thefarmstore.com.au at just over $13 per litre, they mention It is MB self leveling suspension hydraulic fluid?
Regards,
Peter van Dyk

MB15 is the equivalent of MB343 which works on the W126 SLS suspension.
I am not certain, but I would say it is the same as what we use on the 6.9s.

By the way, The Farm Store is selling it cheaper on eBay ;)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mb15-Lev...Power-Steering-Suspension-Fluid-/360657335620

WGB

The self levelling oil is the same as the 6.9 oil.

The going price at the dealer four years ago was $60 per litre - I thought I did quite well getting it for about $35 per litre by gentle persuasion at the parts department and buying 6 litres or whatever at the time.

Bill.

aussie 6.9

Noble
I brought my car about 97 with 180000k on it.Around 2001 I replaced all the speres and all is good up till now where it has done about 260000k.Regards Aussie 6.9

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, you have had an exceptional life span from your Air Cells. I tend to think, and I am confident in stating so, what you bought in 2001 is no longer available today. I can take my mind back to when the cells were originally replaced when I first bought Gleaming Beauty - I had a longevity span of about ten years. Are you now starting to need new ones ? Just as a matter of interest.

It would be of great interest also, to me anyway, what you think of 6.9 ownership. Your likes and dislikes, reliability and/or lack thereof etc. etc. If you can make the time........ Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Like ATF, even if hydraulic oil has become aerated it will self-bleed if the air/gas can escape to the atmosphere. In the SLS system it can be a problem as it doesn't constantly circulate the fluid through the whole system. Strange that I've heard it's self-bleeding, yet they still included bleed nipples?

ATF only takes 10minutes or so to rid itself of unwanted air and I doubt hydraulic oil would take much longer since the viscosity is similar.

Imparts and HSY sell OEM fluid for around $15 per litre (last time I checked) however they only sell to those in the industry, not retail to car owners.

I have it on good authority that Nulon ISO32 is almost the same as OEM SLS fluid and if you buy 20L from Supercheap you'll pay around $5 per litre.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Hydraulic_Fluids/ISO_32_Hydraulic_Fluid/#.UgOIzlR--71

If I'm right you can thank me later... ;):D

I ended up taking back the Nulon as I felt it was too thick.....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Ok good to know i think i will try Penrite mb15 when i change oil or spheres . :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mark, you have had an exceptional life span from your Air Cells. I tend to think, and I am confident in stating so, what you bought in 2001 is no longer available today. I can take my mind back to when the cells were originally replaced when I first bought Gleaming Beauty - I had a longevity span of about ten years. Are you now starting to need new ones ? Just as a matter of interest.

It would be of great interest also, to me anyway, what you think of 6.9 ownership. Your likes and dislikes, reliability and/or lack thereof etc. etc. If you can make the time........ Regards Styria

Mine have been changed eight years ago and still feel terrific.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel all 5 off mine were done in 2011. I was just concerned about fluid leaking out of the reservoir when car was lowered will not know till I get to drive it I guess. :)

Oversize

Grand Master
Whatever happened to Mike?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
No idea he just stopped posting like Des and 300SDude. :(

PvD

Mountain Dweller
After one year I am finally replacing the spheres in the 6.9.
Everything is under control but I have not been able to find the brass filter mentioned somewhere.
Can anybody tell me where this is?
Regards,
Peter

Oversize

Grand Master
Ok good to know i think i will try Penrite mb15 when i change oil or spheres . :)

You can't buy it in 20L so it's actually more $$ than the Febi oil through a good supplier

PvD

Mountain Dweller
I have found the filter under the pressure regulator/level control. But I am still looking for the brass conical filter mentioned in the earlier post by WGB date 24th April 2010 regarding the suspension filter. Could it be located under the large hex plug at the top of the pressure regulator? I don't want to pull this apart to find bit flying in all directions!!!
Regards,
Peter

PvD

Mountain Dweller
I have found the suspension filter under the pressure regulator but am wandering how if find the small brass filter mentioned by WGB in his post on 24th April 2010 in the post 'Re-Suspesion Filter'. Is this located under the large hex plug on top of the pressure regulator, I don't want to pull this apart and find things popping out in all directions!!!
Regards,
Peter

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Peter, as long as the engine is not running, oil will not spurt out everywhere. That remark applies to the Pressure Regulator only. On the Pressure Regulator, there is only one bolt type looking fitting, and it needs a 12mm socket or spanner. It faces towards the rear of the car.

That bolt is in fact a plug, and there is a rubber 'O' ring that sits in a groove. The brass filter sits inside the cavity that's sealed by the plug. It is very seldom the case that the brass filter becomes clogged, but it can happen. When refitting the sealing plug, do not tighten it completely - just a smidgen of looseness. When you start the engine, that slight looseness can assist in bleeding the system. However, have that 12mm spanner or socket ready to use and tighten the plug completely, as there is considerable pressure and hydraulic oil will find the slightest leak. BTW, if you come to remove the regulator in order to replace the internal filter, it can be quite difficult to stop leaks emanating from between the regulator and the top of the reservoir. Regards. Styria

PvD

Mountain Dweller
Don't forget our Tony66AU. Regards. Styria:(. :D
Tank you Styria.
I have every thing apart at the moment but have not touched anything inside the pressure regulator/level control, just soaked it in kero to clean.
The car only has under 100,000 miles (yes it has a miles speedo as it was an English car).
Should I bother to clean the brass filter?
The suspension all worked OK except for the bouncy ride that is why I replaced the spheres, hoses and cleaned the reservoir.
I would love to get a km speedo if anybody has a good spare?
Regards,
Peter

Styria

The Godfather
If you remove the plug, you may as well clean the brass filter. As I said, they give very little trouble, but you should replace the 'O' ring basically as a matter of normal maintenance. Mind you, if the car gave no trouble, or gives no trouble since you replaced the Air Cells, perhaps it is best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Will check for you as far as the Speedo is concerned. I am sure that you would know, but a 450 Speedometer, whilst it will obviously work, will not give you a correct speed reading. Regards Styria