Reversing Lights not working

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

The reversing lights on my 450SE are not working.

Globes are sound, fuse is sound. No voltage!

Is there a plug where it links to the gear box?

Anyone with some knowledge of the electrical system please help with some guidance.

thanks

AAB

BAR,

On my 74 450SEL, there is a switch located on the side of the auto trans that allows you to start the car only in " Park or Neutral " but also operates the reverse lights when in " Reverse ".

This switch could be fouled up a bit,..some oil down there sometimes.

Regards,

Alex

OP
B

BAR

Thnaks for that info.

Can you be more specific about the location of the switch? Right side / left side / top / middle etc.

Martin280s

If your car is a manual gearbox, the switch sits beside the lever on the left-hand side under the wood/vynil cover of the centre console. Mine once fouled up, it's very easy to clean up.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bar, the switch is located on the left hand side of the gearbox - looking towards the front of the car. There is a wiring loom attached to the switch which has four connections. The switch is bolted to the side of the box with two 8mm bolts which would allow removal of the switch itself.

However, you will need to disconnect the gear change rod and bracket from the splined shaft that comes out of the box. All fairly straight forward, but it is a PITA working on that component on account of lack of easy access. If you are going to remove the electrical plug from the switch itself - be careful. The wiring and solder could well be brittle and you do not want to break any of the connections - not easy to get a soldering iron into that location.

The switch itself can be tested with an ohm meter on the bench. Regards Styria

OP
B

BAR

Thanks my friend and learned one...

Is there by chance a diagram or photo one has available. I looked at the Handbook on the other site we used before and it doesn't cover this subject.

AAB

I seem to recall inserting a paper clip into this type of switch on one of my Ford Fairmonts,..could be started whilst in gear ( not recommended !! ) but everything, worked including the backing lights.

Regards,

Alex

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks my friend and learned one...

Is there by chance a diagram or photo one has available. I looked at the Handbook on the other site we used before and it doesn't cover this subject.

Hi Bar, did you manage to locate the switch at the side of the gearbox and, if so, have you removed it as yet ? Regards Styria

OP
B

BAR

Hi Styria

Answer to the question is No.

However, I have discovered that everything isn't broken, it's just offset a bit.

If I hold onto the gear lever and pull it towards neutral position the lights come on.

So I figure that when the gearbox was replaced, the gear change guide - that zig-zag plate on top of the gear box - may have been installed a bit too far forward or has slipped a bit in the ensuing use.

I will try to slide it rearwards tonight and report on the findings.

BTW - Brent could have chosen a brighter colour for the V8 Brute! (not)