Replacing Spings with Foam - need help from one of Melbourne's gentlemen

More threads by BAR

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Steve, on topklasse, you will not get any flaming responses - this you can be assured of. I can only concur with you as far as quality of seats in Peugeots, but also Citroens (DS 23 and Pallas with leather) are concerned - I think the ones in the Citroens were all foam, but cannot be certain. The Peugeot 504, never particularly good looking (IMO), nevertheless boasted excellent suspension characteristics and, of course, superb seats. As an aside, remember the Renault 16, was it TS ? Absolutely practical hatchback, again with superb seats. They were like armchairs.

You know, if you can be "the bunny" to instigate the appropriate enquiries, most of us would be delighted. Whilst BAR may think that I have knocked his idea on the head without proper consideration (such as it appeared possible on the face of it), one nevertheless has to appreciate that favourable responses may not be readily forthcoming. As far as Sydneysiders are concerned, the cost of transport logistics would weigh heavily against the scheme, or modifications, taking off. Maybe I can leave this matter now in both your, and Bar's hands for further investigation and possible development. Regards and thank you, Styria

Parks

Anyway I'll await the flaming responses and still put my hand up for foam replacements.

Steve.

In no way like styria said will you get any flaming responses here, If you were to look at the very first post it was addressed to myself , so naturally I gave an opinion on it ( being that its my profession) wether that be right or wrong thats my thoughts, everyone is going to have a different opinion on it, like bar said the forum is for throwing out ideas for people to discuss and thats what we did , we were just trying to put the pros and cons out there, Bar could prove me wrong and I welcome that and if he wants to surge ahead with the idea then thats fantastic and if anyone else wants to chime in then go for it....

and Bar if you need any advice or info on your idea then im just a phone call away, Im always here to help....regards Brent

OP
B

BAR

Hi guys, never thought that I had received a flaming response.

Having read Styria comments on seats, I can add. I owned several Citroen CXs and BXs in the 80's. The best seat was the foam seat in the Citroen CX GTi had the best support, both 'under the bum' and laterally: but maybe a little soft compared with a BMW 3 series I owned at the same time. The BMW was firmer and more supportive under the bum, but didn't have the lateral support of the CX.

Later cars, including Audi A6 and Mercedes W202 had nice firmness under the seat and a little less than great lateral.

My thoughts are that the W116 has a great shape, nice deep seat back and potential for lateral support in the backrest and seat, but perhaps due to age or just the springs themselves, don't 'hold' the driver: even more noticeable on leather of course.

So in the interest of exploration, I would again ask if some kind gentleman in Melbourne could assist with a visit and then we'd get the expert opinion of the seating manufacturer. Will it work or not? Will it offer more comfort and or support?

We won't know the answers until a seat is shown to them.

smueller99au

I have a set of W108/109 seats we can rip to shreds, and I want to do the same with my W107 seats (at they're stuffed at the moment). Maybe you could email me so we can organise details, location, etc. It might not be able to happen before mid April though (heavy work commitment until then :eek:)

Cheers.
Steve.

Parks

we did have some 116 seats at work but not anymore, they went with a clean up we did