Re. Blown headlights/indicator stalk.

More threads by irvine

irvine

hey everyone, so a few weeks ago I was waving problems with my indicator stalk, when pressing down it would create an electrical crackle and dim the lights (when headlights were on), well it shorted out and killed my headlights.

I inspected the indicator mech and it had disintegrated the mech that held the selector in the up or down position. Everything works, hazard, L/R indicator, side lights I can flash the full beam but it doesn't stay engaged, for lights, all exept the dipped beam headlights. I'm thinking a part of the indicator selector may have somehow shorted out the headlights, but where??

Is there a way to test the lights, like the light switch on the dash, could it somehow have been damaged??

thanks,
neil.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I know it sounds simple, but have you checked the fuses for the dipped beams? From memory the dipped beams have different fuses to the main beams. I'm not near my car now, but I think there are four fuses, one each for each side high and low beam.

OP
I

irvine

Cheers for the info, I thought the lights would of been off one fuse. I checked the fuse box and they all looked fine, am I missing another fuse location? Are there fuses for the lights hidden somewhere??
I’ll go and change out the fuses see what happens.

Thanks,
Neil.

OP
I

irvine

Hmm changes the 4 headlight fuses just for piece of mind (previous were not blown).
All I can think of is the circuitry in the indicator selector or headlight switch may have fried.

Neil.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
You an probably start ruling out items by testing voltage to where - e.g. is voltage getting to fuse box, to the switch, to the actual headlight.

Its probably also worth looking at the wiring to the two switches and seeing if there are any burned wires or contacts.

OP
I

irvine

Yea was hoping I wouldn’t have to start testing the circuitry, a well the joys of keeping old cars. Thanks for the info mate.

Neil.

OP
I

irvine

well luckily I got a working headlight switch and indicator stalk of e bay delivered yesterday so today was the day. after a month of no headlights I jumped straight in.
very limited for room but got all wires transferred over including the inner cable guard and the big ugly rubber outer boot. everything works perfect thankfully in time for the weekend.

thanks for the info everyone.
neil.