My 420SEL

More threads by Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And what I said after concourse Tim drive it and enjoy it. :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
All this car needs really is a bit of Jerry's touch (a respray) and it would look fab!

260ebenz

Master
All this car needs really is a bit of Jerry's touch (a respray) and it would look fab!

What colour would suit the 420SEL stick with the original black colour?

Perhaps Impala Brown might just suit the 420SEL Styria?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
If its Black stay with Black as it looks great but only if body is up to it. Just its a pita to keep clean. :D

Andrew280SEL

Hi Styria,

I was just reading through this thread and it sounds like your 420SEL is a most excellent and extremely good value purchase.

Are you still using it as your daily? Or has GB taken that mantle back for the time being?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Andrew, indeed I am. I was lucky to have been offered this low mileage car back in April of 2012. It has been my daily driver since, and in that time I have replaced only engine oil and filter on four occasions, and replaced the front disc brake pads - shortly after purchase. It's reliability has been exemplary - here's me saying this when usually I express reservations as to MB reliability and spare parts prices.

As Michel correctly points out, it does indeed need a respray. The previous owner for many years was a Balmain resident (still is) and the car never saw the inside of a garage. It sat idle most of the time, and was only used to travel to Melbourne once a year. The rest of the time, they had another car to use. Come to think of it, today I must ascertain what colour it is. It's not Black, and for my own sake I need to find out as a respray is on the cards. The interior is well nigh perfect, and it also has the feature of a reclining back seat. Gleaming Beauty is now rarely used - still in very good condition other than the intermediate rattle or metallic knocking from the rear drive train. Still do not know the source of that problem. What is it they say - all in good time ? How much time do we have ? Therein lies some of the problem.

I still think and maintain that GB is the most satisfying 6.9 I know of - obviously, I don't know all of them, but there is just something that's specially satisfying about her. About three years ago, I drove the Astral Silver 6.9 that was owned by George Mathieson. Low mileage, seven or eight times concours class winner, yet GB was, and still would be, a more satisfying car to drive. I should not be brattling on like this.........Regards Styria

Last edited:

Andrew280SEL

Great to hear, Styria. The feeling of a car that far surpasses your initial expectations is fantastic.

I think I kind of know what you mean, re: the satisfaction you find being the most in GB. My dad had a blue W116 450SEL years ago. The paint was faded, the steering wasn't perfect, the speedo needle bounced like crazy and had an annoying tick... but something about being in that car was hard to match with the other W116s. The blue leather interior in particular, again while not perfect, gave off an atmosphere and feeling that, especially as a very young person that I was, just felt so satisfying and classy and "different".

I think the great thing about these older cars, in general, is the individuality. You're not generally likely to have a W116 or even W126, etc, behave exactly the same way or exhibit the exact same characteristics.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As Michel correctly points out, it does indeed need a respray. Come to think of it, today I must ascertain what colour it is. It's not Black, and for my own sake I need to find out as a respray is on the cards.
......Regards Styria

I have some beautiful red paint left.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have some beautiful red paint left.

I did in fact check on the colour code today - MB 199 with the unlikely name of SchwarzBlau and this translates to black blue - one would never think that was the colour. I'll just have to double check, because paint is too expensive to choose the wrong colour.

BTW, we are talking about the effectiveness and quality, as well as visual appeal of the interior of Helmet's 6.9 we have just refurbished. I would like to make a point for others to consider and perhaps throw in some thoughts for good measure. The colour - there is no doubt that Parchment is one of the very best colours in highlighting the interior of any car - it provides light, the feeling of airiness and cleanliness. On the other side of the spectrum, a worn Parchment coloured interior is probably one of the ugliest to look at. So, you have the two extremes. I mention this for a specific reason. If you take Gleaming Beauty, it has the Blue upholstery and carpets. Most of the carpets are new(ish), having been replaced some twelve years ago (if not more) and are in well nigh perfect condition. The seats, again in Blue of course, are original. However, both sections of the back seat have been re-upholstered, and as a consequence is in excellent original condition. The fronts are original, but they are fine and covered with some fairly shabby sheepskin covers. So I can comfortably state that there is not all that much wrong with the interior of GB. Yet, will it attract the same admiration and appreciation of Helmet's 6.9 ? No way, it's just not in the same ballpark. I would also contend that tinted windows, especially a dark tint, "hide" any obvious attractiveness that one could ascribe to the interior of GB as well as any car - the darkness just seems to detract from the airiness of an interior. Any thoughts on these observations on my part ? Regards. Styria

N.B. Apologies - I have just realised that this post should really be in the "My 6.9" section - Helmet's splendid 6.9

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What about the red paint Godfather, what about the red paint?:p

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As a matter of practicality, Michel, there is no way that I could even consider a change of colour. I am presently involved in preparations for a colour change on a 300SEL 6.3, and it is a mammoth job. Removal of all doors involves the removal of wiring and central locking tubing, removal of all door and body rubbers endeavouring not to damage components etc. - in other words, it is a substantial task to do it properly.

Thus it becomes a question of time, which in turn becomes a question of money, which in turn becomes a question of how capital would I sink into a car, no matter how good in this instance, that is not likely to attract any real selling value. Jerry may yet get a look in on this job as well - BTW, it is NOT the car that he had previously quoted on. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Believe me Godfather, I know what is involved in colour change on cars.
I have done a few with Jerry, including the Red Terror

However, I still believe the W126 would look quite stunning in red!

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, are you talking Red Terror Red, or your 430CLK ? I am not particularly enamoured by the Coupe colour - a little too much Fire Engine Red for my liking. In any case Michel, economics and common sense simply rule out a colour change. Regards. Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, are you talking Red Terror Red, or your 430CLK ? I am not particularly enamoured by the Coupe colour - a little too much Fire Engine Red for my liking. In any case Michel, economics and common sense simply rule out a colour change. Regards. Styria

Why don't you drive by Prestons Godfather?

I still make good coffee and we could have a yarn.;)
You might also see the two red colours side by side :D

260ebenz

Master
Why don't you drive by Prestons Godfather?

I still make good coffee and we could have a yarn.;)
You might also see the two red colours side by side :D

Not another red Mercedes out on the roads Heaven help us!
;)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Chances are that you won't have any milk.........:( Regards Styria :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
We get milk weekly.
Andrew has it with his coffee :rolleyes:

I am quite convinced that I must be the last boat to arrive - that's after Andrew has his weekly fill. You did say that you get it weekly......see what I mean. :rolleyes: Regards Styria :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am quite convinced that I must be the last boat to arrive - that's after Andrew has his weekly fill. You did say that you get it weekly......see what I mean. :rolleyes: Regards Styria :D

Fess up Godfather, you're just not interested in coming over... Milk or no milk :eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Fess up Godfather, you're just not interested in coming over... Milk or no milk :eek:

That's not quite so, but that's another subject matter for another day. I would like to talk about my "utterly reliable" mode of transport in the shape of this 420SEL. My workshop, such as it used to be, is some thirty two kilometres from my home, and the trip is undertaken on a fairly regular basis. This has given me the opportunity to try and assess the car's "wafting" characteristics. I have always marvelled at just how easily it would lob along with throttle off, on the slightest of inclines, or even on a level surface.

It was just the other day, as chance would have it, that a 300SE turned in front of me , and driving obviously in the same direction. Just about the exact same colour as my car, with paint in somewhat better condition, but otherwise it could have easily been mistaken for my car. As we are proceeding along the main road at about 70kms, I noticed that I had to apply the brakes to prevent me from running into the back of the car. This went on for about four to five occasions applying the brakes, whether on an incline or level surface to prevent me from causing a rear ender - not that I tailgated him - far from it, I kept my distance, and I noticed that at no stage, did the driver in front of me apply the brakes, yet I managed to keep gaining on him/her without using the accelerator in my car. I was just coasting, yet catching up.

This to me has proven what a wonderfully relaxing touring car this 420 of mine is - it just glides along, whether I am doing 40, or 80 or 90 for that matter. Wonderful car, and so reliable. Hard to beat, although an excitement machine it is not. BTW, I had a ride in a 1987 420SEL the other day - 50K. kilometres on the clock, as close to brand new condition as one would wish. It is FOR SALE - not cheap at $K25.00, but it is in remarkable condition inside and out. Regards Styria