Iridium Plugs

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Supposed to last 100,000 Ks...... but do they ? I removed the Plugs in both our C Class CGI's at around 70,000Ks as I had been advised, when we ran Saabs, that if left until 100,000 they would freeze in the Alloy Heads. They looked ok so I just put them back in.
My question is .. Are they still performing ok in spite of nearly 90,000Ks :) in one of the Cars ?????? No issues with starrting and running in either car.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sean - in my experience they do last a very long time and do a high mileage without burning at the tips. I am on my second set in the ML320 and it is now 19 years old and has 175,000 ks.To take them out occasionally so they don't seize would be very wise advice.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brian.... at 70K+ Ks the tips showed no sign of burnt tips. I would like to know their secrect ! :)

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Sean,

The main reason iridium (and to a lesser extent platinum) plugs last longer is that when a plug fires, a small amount of the centre electrode is removed when it arcs between the centre electrode to the earth electrode.
Typically these plugs used copper cores and nickel plated steel for the electrodes.

The iridium resists this damage or wear better than other metals once used.

On cars that have twin firing systems, where a second spark is fired immediately after the ignition spark, which fires backwards from the earth electrode to the centre electrode, then material is removed from the earth electrode as well, so it wears twice as quick.

You can’t see the build up from one point to the other as it is burned away by the combustion process.

But where you can see it best in older cars is the ignition points.
You can clearly see the wear or the damage voltage can do.

By the way, the higher the voltage, the less wear or damage occurs, thus some of today’s ignition voltages are many times more than they used to be, with death causing amperage to boot (no pun intended)

The main driver of these type of exotic metals in spark plugs, was to increase the life, simply due to the almost impossible places they are put in an engine.

(Remember Brian telling us about a Bentley W12 has to have the engine dropped, but not removed to change plugs?)

These types of exotic metals, and plugs and their longevity is a gift from F1 as so many things in modern cars are these days.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Great explanation Patrick!

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Thanks Michel,

My 25 Chev, had spark plugs like this.

C4453931-FAF1-43-F0-9-FBC-199-E9737-EA59.jpg

The cloth covered lead screwed directly to the top.
However, if any oil or grease or dirty fingerprint got on the green smooth insulator, you would find it arching down the side, rather than through the plug and to the earth electrode.
Electricity takes the shortest path of resistance.
So down the side she would go.

Grotty spark plugs in early Holdens (caused by oil vapour and dust) that did not have spark plug boots (EH was the first Holden to have spark plug boots) would cause these short circuits thus engine missing.

EC3-BEE71-0168-46-B7-AC14-B532-F564621-C.jpg

The high resistance (ribbed) ceramic insulator was then invented, and of course insulated spark plug boots to avoid this.

265-CB5-C3-748-D-457-E-BA2-C-377-C1849439-B.jpg
247-D0-E40-C44-F-4-F3-E-B9-D1-2-B8-D8-BC0909-A.jpg

This is also why insulators on power poles look the way they do. To avoid arching.
However if you listen close to high voltage power poles when it rains after a long dry spell (dusty) you can hear minor arching from these insulators.

E9727412-C27-B-400-B-A6-B3-16-B547-EB5-B79.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
And Yes Brian..... the moral of the story is to stick to what the Manufacturer recommends... especially Mercedes. If I live long enough (now in 86th year ) I will change the Iridium Plugs at 100,000 Ks:)

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That is a good article from Champion Brian.

Of course these plugs can not be serviced, only replaced.

Bosch are one of the leading OEM for many car makers.
They make the twin iridium plug. Iridium center electrode tip, and iridium tipped earth electrode.
CE99-C1-F0-E872-492-A-8522-5-AFFD5156-A58.png

F691-E877-CD7-E-46-F6-BD45-9-EE399-A28-D01.png

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Possibly only Sean and I would recall Lodge plugs; later known as Golden Lodge and the go to plug of Lancia and Alfa owners.
The rest of you can go and Google Lodge plugs.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brian , are you now a member of the ageing Club... surely not ! You still have a way to go to catch me !!!:)

Patrick_R

Grand Master
C’mon now Brian, you are still a spring chicken :cool:

I did just that Brian.
A very interesting story about the Lodge family.

I do also remember them when I was younger, they were like 10:times the price of champions, and sold in beautiful individual wrapping and in seperate tins not the cheap cardboard the more common plugs were sold.

Ahhhhhh no.
I have a great face for radio :eek: