Gen 4 toyota Hybrid

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
A Genius of design. Cvt has no Pulleys. Uses two Planetary Sets instead, for an increase in power and Torque output to wheels, while using less Fuel.
With 5 lts/100k on a trip a long way between refill stops with silent running on Cruise. (medium throttle.):cool:

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brian, it does !!!
The only fault I can find with the whole package is that the Buzzer for Lane Departure warning is almost inaudible,:) and is non adjustable.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
For the record Brian,
two reasons I bought the new Camry Hybrid were firstly, it is deemed amongst the Safest cars in the World. Secondly I want to keep up with and experience the latest technology and the Genius of the forth Generation of design. i,e,. a C.V.T. without expanding Pulleys with a Drive belt.

Oversize

Grand Master
The tech is quite ingenious! But I’m sure MB has it covered. I often wondered how long the starters & ring gears would last with all the stops starts but that explains it! Makes me wonder if an older car could be retro fitted with a new type starter to avoid ring gear & pinion problems?
I still think a turbo-diesel electric car would be ideal. Move off in electric mode then change above 50kmh.
Btw I dunno if I’ll ever get used to, let alone like stop start tech. Every time it feels like I’ve broken down & I wonder if it’ll actually move when I put my foot down...

Oversize

Grand Master
They need to inject some desire-ability back into the range with a Seca, Celica or Supra. Despite durability and tech advances they’re still an expensive fridge magnet in my eyes!

Oversize

Grand Master
The 86 drivetrain might be slightly inspiring, but I find the styling rather boring and outdated.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
We never stop learning !!! Just discovered that the new Gen 4 Hybrid Camry is not a CVT.. but a Planetary Gear Automatic. Now It is starting to make sense to me. A CVT has a Steel Belt driving movable Pulleys. Toyota has a Planetary Gear set. How they get it to mimic a CVT eludes me. It is virtually seamless in operation. Though today driving back down Victoria Rd I did detect a very slight shift to high gear. But a only very slight bump.
Engineering excellence !:(

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
A Camry a Sporting Drive ???? Yes, for me in the Sport setting. Forget about Fuel economy. Sport also quickens the Steering , Add a couple of pounds to the front Tire pressures as well. Including our C Class, to promote better turn in when cornering. I don't know how the performance is enhanced, maybe it is just a happier marriage between the Electric Motor and the ICE. ?????
It is a very spritely car...... for a four Door Sedan.
:D The instant Torque of the Electric Motor may be the explanation.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
:)0 to 100ks .... Just found out that the Camry Hybrid is .5 second quicker than our Turbo C Class, which is fitted fitted with a five speed Auto.
Probably not a fair comparison as the Camry is not held back by a Hydraulic Torque Converter. Even though the converter has a lock up Clutch.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
From one issue to the next.... whilst my Camry Hybrid is technically a very good Car, I am not enamoured with the quality of the interior and exterior. The Paint marks/chips too easily and the interior marks very easily. The slightest touch on the Paint damages it. I don't think that it is near the standard of the Europeans. My 2014 Golf held up much better. Thirty and forty year old Mercs put it to shame So what next.. I'm too old to put up with any ....., to quote an ageing Friend who was M.D. of Brysons Jaguar. The finish issues are a constant annoyance...:eek: $$$$s will sort it. Luckily I can afford to change Cars. Find another 204 C Class with less than 100,000 Ks..???
There is also a new Mk 8 VW Turbo Golf due at the end of the year. New family of Engines and by now they should have sorted all the issues with their Twin Clutch Autos. We shall see !!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
From one issue to the next.... whilst my Camry Hybrid is technically a very good Car, I am not enamoured with the quality of the interior and exterior. The Paint marks/chips too easily and the interior marks very easily. The slightest touch on the Paint damages it. I don't think that it is near the standard of the Europeans.

I'm very surprised to read about the paint on your car.
It does not make sense. :eek:
Toyotas have a very rigourous paint procedure and I can vouch out of experience (our Camry is a few years' older than yours) that when washed and clayed, the old girl looks very nice (I'm not a fan of the bronze colour-not my choice).
I'd like to have another serious look at your car Sean, even get Jerry's opinion.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I have done my homework on the Paint on the currant Asian Cars. Adverse comments and problems about them all. The Paint is wafer thin. Even the Top Coats scratch with the slightest provocation. Reminds me of the Mercedes Silver Arrows when in a a dispute as to the weight of their Cars they simply stripped the Paint saving several Kilos and making the weight restrictions. Todays Emissions .. Fuel... Consumption all reduced by reducing weight.
I have just bought a local C Class 204 Elegance with 72,000 Ks still looks like the Day it was made in Silver. Drives like a new Car for $16.5 K
I sold the 10,000 Ks Camry back to the Dealer for $27 K.
Our currant similar Car looks shoddy alongside it. It needs a professional detail.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I do understand the Australian made Toyota paint was pretty poor compared to the now fully imported cars.

I hire a lot of cars through Hertz, and the now imported Camry and Corolla seems to have a lot less major marks than I have been used to reporting.

I have to agree with Sean here, the paint on the W126 was great, but the W220 is, like I mentioned in my post about the car is hard as glass.

Makes it tough to get blemishes out, but also resists other damage perfectly.

What ended up being paint, plastic or rubber transfer onto the 220’s outer skin would have been pretty savage on a lesser painted car for sure.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Gone ..gone..gone The replacement Turbo W204 C Class 250 with 72,000 on the clock looks and drives like a new Car. It is an Elegance, in Silver, with Leather. Nothing to spend.
Full service History and in the next Suburb. The finish on the complete car is on a different planet to the Camry. The Sat Nav system and Phone etc is still a bit of a mystery to me. If I only knew how to Post a photo I would. Maybe one of my Grandchildren will come to the rescue ! It has been a hectic week one way or another, but all's well that ends well:D