Dora 2

More threads by Oversize

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Shes currently on ice until I can find the correct ignition leads to hopefully fix the misfire. I just started a lengthy period of time off so watch this space soon.

Rides harshly ATM which is due to a system fault which then defaults to hard setting (see YouTube vids & seat vibration). Apparently the solenoids make a loud crack under hydro pressure normally & I haven’t heard this yet so I’ll be doing some system tests. The car doesn’t raise to the high setting either so it could be more than one fault.

At this stage I believe she originated in South Africa and is an ECE version which cannot be modified for CATs unlike the RUF engines. Aussie 560s had lower compression with emission requirements not quite as harsh as the US. Therefore the Aussie cars didn’t have as much power as the ECE & RUF motors, but had more than US models.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
At this stage I believe she originated in South Africa and is an ECE version which cannot be modified for CATs unlike the RUF engines. Aussie 560s had lower compression with emission requirements not quite as harsh as the US. Therefore the Aussie cars didn’t have as much power as the ECE & RUF motors, but had more than US models.

Should be in the data card. (www.datamb.com) I would have thought the factory in south africa would have been less likely to build special options like HPFE though.

if you have code 238 and 362 would be pommy version. I can't remember the south africa code, but those ones normally have the little reflectors under the rear tail lights.

If you have code 822, then its ECE version.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Build date & location finally confirmed, along with some interesting details on options ordered. Strange they didn’t go for rear seat heaters. It would’ve been great to have a rear blind, but probably not much use in GB....

348-E05-D7-4-B4-D-435-D-9515-545-C1-A9-F61-D8.jpg

708-D1-B66-0-F0-C-444-A-A6-B7-0-F9318-A5-ACAE.jpg

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Good to get this detail, my car was made 5 months later also for UK market. - btw, this site helps translate the codes for you:

General Data
FIN WDB1260392A322020
Model 560 SEL
Engine 117968 22 027158
Transmission 722323 02 911363
Order Number 0 7 537 86683
Order Location GREAT BRITAIN
Interior LEATHER - GRAY (278)
Paint 1 ASTRAL SILVER - METALLIC PAINT (735U)
Approx. Build Date 1987-02
Code Description
215 HYDROPNEUMATIC SUSPENSION WITH AUTOMATIC LEVEL LOWERING DEVICE AND CONTROLLED DAMPING
224 FRONT & REAR SINGLE SEATS, LEFT AND RIGHT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE; FRONT SEATS WITH MEMORY CONTROL, ELECTRIC HEADREST ADJUSTMENT & RUFFLED POCKETS
226 FOOTRESTS IN THE REAR
238 CITY DRIVE LIGHT FOR GREAT BRITAIN
251 BECKER RADIO MEXICO CASSETTE, FULL STEREO, ELECTRONIC
341 ADDITIONAL BLINKER LAMPS
362 RHD VEHICLES AS PER EC REGULATIONS (CONTROL CODE)
406 SINGLE SEAT WITH ORTHOPAEDIC FRONT SEAT BACKREST, LEFT AND RIGHT
442 AIRBAG IN STEERING WHEEL
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
601 OIL FOR REAR AXLE WITH LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL, IN CANISTERS AND CONTAINERS
613 HEADLAMP LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
822 OUTPUT INCREASE WITH 560 SEL/SEC
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS

Mercedes Benz VIN decoded at https://www.datamb.com/vin/8r74lEkDw3L2NRyvq

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks! Looks like I have to track down missing items such as the rear footrests & fire extinguisher!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like I’ve finally found a source for both sets of leads & just have to measure mine to see which set is the most suitable.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
On my to do list:

Change coolant,
Rebuild front brake calipers,
Replace RH tail light,
Replace LF hydro hose,
Replace leads, cap, rotor,
Replace front doors (maybe),
RWC (hopefully nothing major),
Club rego...

I’ve removed genuine leads from another engine to measure them up and order the correct set.

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, the whole thing is unbelievable - there is no way I could ever match your tenacity resourcefulness. I will have to have a much closer look at all of your lengthy information, and if there is anything useful, I shall endeavour to post it on the website. Fantastic work. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks heaps! Hopefully it’ll be registered by Summer! Oh I forgot it needs half shafts too...

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Finally got to measure the leads today! The factory set have long gone but I pulled some off an Aussie car in the fleet for checking.

1 87cm
2 83cm
3 100cm
4 101cm
5 74cm
6 82cm
7 83cm
8 83cm
Coil 59cm

So Beru ZEF566 seems the closest & ive just pulled the trigger! Let’s hope new ignition parts fix the miss & it’s not injectors, a vacuum leak or the fuel dizzy!!

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
If it's not leads next thing to check would be leak with rubber donuts under intake. As injectors and distributor are fairly robust

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Parts apparently on their way so cross fingers they fix the miss & I can get her to a LVT for a RWC & Club Reg for Spring/Summer!

sean sherry

Master
Following and reading Marks project , I realise how little I know about Mercedes
The expression..........."A Heart like a Lion comes to mind.":)

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Great to hear. Will be a big milestone to get this car back on the road. I wonder how many S2 full hydro W126 are registered and available for use (excluding those who had removed the system).

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks for the support guys. Going by my records it’ll be the 3rd such car registered & running with S2 in Australia. Although the WA car has had its share of issues since being laid up for a very long period.

Once up & running again I’ll be thoroughly testing the hydro to make sure all functions are working correctly. Oh I just bought a spare HPF pump from Ebay nice n cheap since the seller didn’t know what they were selling...