Dora 2

More threads by Oversize

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks guys! I was thinking of changing the wheel centers to black or blank ones but the colours in the current ones seem to match the rest of the car quite well.

Driveshafts, coolant & front calipers now need attention so I can get closer to the elusive RWC & MBCV registration. Damn shame I can't use any custom plates on the car but maybe one day soon VicRoads will change the regulations... In the meantime I'll just leave one on the parcel shelf!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
New custom plates for the ‘ol girl I’d wanted for years & finally pulled the trigger!!

FYI quicksilver is another name for mercury. The S2 HPF features a mercury switch to stiffen the suspension in cornering so I thought the plates would suit the car perfectly!

411503B2-FBE3-49FF-83BD-84F7B6F70FCD.jpeg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I originally wanted to use these, but I might keep them for the SEC. The biggest problem with custom plates in Victoria is currently they can only be fitted to vehicles on full registration & not limited use club registration. Something I aim to have rectified with a petition straight to the Minister for Transport!

21E34ABF-FDC1-4894-8CFD-595428A4E961.jpeg

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I originally wanted to use these, but I might keep them for the SEC. The biggest problem with custom plates in Victoria is currently they can only be fitted to vehicles on full registration & not limited use club registration. Something I aim to have rectified with a petition straight to the Minister for Transport!

View attachment 23462
Yes, that is the same for us.
We just have those silly little plates with the ugly purple font.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes that does dampen ones enthusiasm but I’m hoping one day we can fit custom plates to club cars....

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, any further news on Dora ? It's been close enough to twelve months and I am just wondering about the status quo on the car. BTW, are your Avatar listings up to date ? Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
She’s on the back burner for the moment since I’ve been focussed on Red Bull & other priorities. But she is my best chance at getting one on the road to keep so I’m rather keen to return to the project. Oh and yes my Avatar needs updating for sure...

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I recently found some original pix of Dora when first delivered. She was a royal mess and I'm glad I rescued her from a horrible demise!
IMG_5160.JPGIMG_5161.JPGIMG_5162.JPGIMG_5163.JPGIMG_5164.JPGIMG_5165.JPGIMG_5166.JPGIMG_5174.JPGIMG_5187.JPGIMG_5355.JPGIMG_5356.JPGIMG_5357.JPGIMG_5180.JPGIMG_5359.JPGIMG_5358.JPG

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Recent updates… Changed the coolant too. I’ll be dragging her home soon with additional attention for a RWC & club rego.

IMG_7559.jpegIMG_7564.jpegIMG_7563.jpegIMG_0420.jpegIMG_0421.jpegIMG_0494.jpegIMG_0497.jpegIMG_0502.jpegIMG_0508.jpegIMG_0506.jpegIMG_1659.jpegIMG_1660.jpegIMG_1663.jpegIMG_1664.jpeg

c107

and 111/116/124/126

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, I take it that these pics are the latest of Dora2 and, I presume, a (any) 6.9 as the second car in what appears to be a shipping container. First question - how did you get into the car, and second question, how did you get out ? I am sure that there must have been some method, but I am scratching my head.....

Am I correct in understanding that Dora 2 is the only vehicle that remains with you, and is the one you intend to keep ? The specs are great from what I seem to recall and with its hydraulic suspension (?) it is certainly rare and worthy of being a keeper. Do you still have any other projects, or is this it ? Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Haha well it is a tight squeeze but you can just get in and out! If you’ve had a big meal then maybe not….

The other car in the container is ‘Midnight Express’ my black/grey 560SEL on LPG. That’s my test mule for the EFI, but I’m not butchering the car & will be keeping it long term. It will get a full respray in the future.

I have the Fangio 6,9 (‘Skye’) which is headed for auction at Lloyds soon.

I still have many wheels & other ‘parts’. There’s big parts and small parts and lots in between. Some parts are car shaped, but if you call them a car I’ll flatly deny it!!! I certainly have a lot less car shaped parts than before… 😄🫣🥴😉🤔🧐🤫

I’m not done with 6.9s yet!!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
What Becker did your car have? Is this 2nd piece from a 2000 or a CD player?
Years ago I bought a smashed 420SEL just for the single CD Becker! Those pix are from when I pulled it out before selling the rest of the car. Since Dora is such a rare car it’s about the only mod I’m prepared to do to it apart from wheels. Dora currently has a dodgy Sony head unit so I’ll be glad to see that go in the bin.

Midnight Express will be more of an animal with some tasteful mods in the pipeline. Being less of a rare car, I’m prepared to take the mods to what I’d call epic, whilst trying to stay respectful to the brand and the car. I have the idea of creating a car that might have others wonder if AMG in the late 80s had a special division that built a handful of bespoke cars with superior appointments, a distinguishable appearance in line with its lesser stablemates and above all simply amazing performance….