buying from City Dealer

More threads by sean sherry

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, when you say you "didn't think it would be a good highway car", what do you mean by that and how did you come to that conclusion ? What was it that allowed you to come to that conclusion so quickly ? I am very interested in your opinion - it is the A-Class we are talking about, aren't we ? Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes it was an A250. We didn't like the gear selector which was on the column, but to be fair it did have paddle control as well.

The main reason was it's short wheelbase and the fact it felt a little twitchy (hard suspension and perhaps bump-steer). The seats were lovely and I was looking forward to the drive, but it felt more suited to my sporty driving than my partner's driving style and intended highway miles. It's her car, so she'll be driving it far more than me....

The A45 will be even more suited to performance driving and not suitable for the feint-hearted. Expect to pay $80K or more for one of them when they're available to purchase around September. I expect the waiting list for an A45 will be huge. I may still take one for a proper drive later in the year to convince myself it wouldn't suit us.... ;)

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Hi Mark I'm sure you will enjoy the new C Class. For all the hassles:D I have had ,it is still a brilliant car to drive. It is a C200 GLI chosen because the torque curve starts lower in the rev range for mostly city/ suburban use. None the less it goes like a bat out of hell, can't believe it is only 1.8 litres, with handling to match.
I suspect that after the last warranty visit to the Factory owned Dealer in Zetland that there was a Software upgrade for both the engine and the Auto Box. Also it seems that the Euro engines ,in what ever ,take 20K or more before they free up. But who's complaining !
Sean

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Mark I'm sure you will enjoy the new C Class. For all the hassles:D I have had ,it is still a brilliant car to drive. It is a C200 GLI chosen because the torque curve starts lower in the rev range for mostly city/ suburban use. None the less it goes like a bat out of hell, can't believe it is only 1.8 litres, with handling to match.
I suspect that after the last warranty visit to the Factory owned Dealer in Zetland that there was a Software upgrade for both the engine and the Auto Box. Also it seems that the Euro engines ,in what ever ,take 20K or more before they free up. But who's complaining !
Sean

Ok now you know you'll have to list your problems (with the car - LOL!)......

And what's the best way to run-in the engine? Vary the speed regularly? It's a ex-demonstrator, so it's probably already been done!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And what's the best way to run-in the engine? Vary the speed regularly? It's a ex-demonstrator, so it's probably already been done!

How many kilometres does it have on the clock?

Styria

The Godfather
Speaking of running in an engine, is it necessary nowadays to run in a modern engine ? One gets conflicting opinions on the subject. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
A couple of dealers have said recently that you shouldn't keep a constant speed and vary the load until at least 1500km. Once up to temperature you should even use full throttle every now n then to bed in the rings properly. I've heard reports saying an engine won't behave normally (lower power and lacking response) until the run in process is complete.

Our new car was an ex-demo which has done a little over 7000km, so there's no need to run it in now.

Bad news is it looks like it lacks Distronic as reported, plus front seat memory (a great addition on the CLC200), paddle shifts (I was always using them on the CLC, but the 7spd should be far better) and a turbo (it only has one)! A full report on how it performs when I get a chance to drive it...

The good news is I can't stop staring at it!! :cool::cool: OMG I LOVE the colour and I'm seriously thinking about repainting Moby in the same colour when the time comes!! And it's brown; WTF! I never thought I'd feel this way about a brown car, so maybe hell's frozen over and no-one told me? ;) Here's a few shots in the failing light when we got her home:

CIMG7526_zps2cbf045a.jpg

CIMG7525_zps76601df1.jpg

CIMG7522_zpsb04acee0.jpg

CIMG7520_zps16115fd2.jpg

CIMG7521_zpsc14324d2.jpg

CIMG7527_zpscc5273cb.jpg

CIMG7528_zps9197502f.jpg

CIMG7529_zpsfc4685af.jpg

CIMG7530_zpsdc63014c.jpg

CIMG7532_zps78d722f5.jpg

HK premium sound system:

CIMG7533_zpsadf17cbe.jpg

Even the floor mats are lovely!

CIMG7531_zpse89d4e44.jpg

260ebenz

Master
Wow Mark very nice C-Class and I like the colour!

Are they Continental tyres on C250?

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes they are Tim and with 255s on the back there shouldn't be any traction issues! The colour changes depending on the light conditions so I'll have to take a few more....

260ebenz

Master
225 15" Conti's Mark you have just bought the C250 but what are the Conti's like?

Please post more pics of the C250 brown cars are the best does that sound like a biased opinion YOU BET! :D

Oversize

Grand Master
They're actually fitted to 18" wheels, not 15s. From the passenger seat I found the ride firm, but not harsh and initially very well controlled. But later it seemed to develop a slight and unusual yawl, or roll oscillation that I can't quite put my finger on. But to be fair I've only been a passenger for a short while, so we'll see what it's like on a longer drive

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
18" wheels okay then.

So far the Conti's sound okay.

Keep me posted about the Conti's Mark if you could please?

Oversize

Grand Master
Unfortunately no it was the ex’s car & she’s upgraded since then!