A bit of housekeeping

More threads by TJ 450

TJ 450

I purchased a pair of rear tyres for the 6.9 (Maxxis MA-P1). I've used these tyres for a while and have been impressed with their performance/price. The are $100AUD each from Bob Jane and are a reasonably soft compound. They also allow a nice, quiet and smooth ride.

The main reason for this purchase was so that the 450 can get its wheels back.

Also, I decided that it was time to apply some paint to the replacement boot lid. It was Astral silver minus a clear coat. It really did look repulsive. The paint is just Royal Blue out of an Aerosol (Automotive touchup - Holts), though I spent a bit of time rubbing back the surface and applying etch primer. It needs to last through the winter, as the car cops a bit of spray from the horizontal rain. Some surface rust was already forming.

It will all be removed when it comes time for the real paint job. This leads to a question about paintjobs... what is a generic figure for the cost of rubbing back, and respraying the visible panels of the car (not door jambs, sills etc)? This would not include dent removal or stripping of trim.

Tim

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
For the record I have also Maxxis on my 690SEL.

A decent paint job on the visible panels without repairs or dejewelling the car would have to be around $4000.

Now that would depend on what city or town you were located in, the type of material used and the experience of the repairer.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi TJ450, I hope you're aware that the pressure pack spray-on enamel can take quite a bit of effort to remove when you come to repaint the boot properly.

In the meantime - yep, it looks neat and tidy and as long as you're happy, that's all that matters. The price quoted by Michel is very reasonable. Regards Styria

John S

A few years ago I was quoted between $6000 and $10,000 to respray my W116 'properly', which was taking back to bare metal and minor (only) fill in repairs. NO rust removal.

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

Excellent, thanks for the information. I understand that my situation may differ greatly from Michel's quote, but it's good to know anyway. :)

The good thing is that there is only some very minor minor surface rust to be treated. There are some large dents however.

Removal of the enamel shouldn't be a problem. I'll sand it back when the time comes.

I'm hesitant to do a full respray, mainly because the paint is in excellent original condition in the engine bay, door jambs etc. It's a lot of extra work for little improvement. The visible panels need to be rubbed right back to bare metal though. There is a lot of crazing in the existing paint.

Tim