6.9 Distributor Rotors

More threads by TJ 450

6.9forever

Noble
Hi TJ450 -

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but are you prepared to divulge the VIN? ie. the last 4 digits in particular, so we can place its age? Wonder if it's on the register that recently re-emerged.

I am intrigued by the zebrano, black- console earlier models (some even had steel wheels and only one door mirror; boy they were 'basic' in a funny sort of way...).

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

Hi 6.9forever,

Sure, the the VIN is 116036 22 001432 and it does in fact have a oz compliance plate reflecting that chassis# with a date of 1-78, as odd as it may seem.

Tim

6.9forever

Noble
Thanks TJ -

Looks like it was a RHD model from '76 (VIN # fits), was brought to Oz ahead of public release here by MB Oz, and fitted with an early ADR27A compliant engine (1/78). Does the compliance plate state 27A?

This is possible evidence that MB played around with the 6.9 locally for some time before they released them to the good burgers of Double Bay and Toorak.

Styria

The Godfather
I have read somewhere in the dim, dark past that Mercedes delayed delivery of 6.9's to Australia and the US on account of overheating issues. This may possibly explain the origins and purpose of Tim's car - perhaps it was the 'mule' to test the waters before MB was prepared to export them.

It is a fact that 6.9's, certainly up to 1976, ran an almost identical water pump set-up to the earlier 6.3's. The pump was the same, but the housing sandwiched between engine block and water pump was exclusive to the 6.9 - slightly larger than the 6.3 unit on account of the taller engine block. Regards Styria

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

Well, after installing new spark plugs today, the car is now running extremely well. It's interesting, as it is far smoother than my 450 now. :)
I also discovered that the firing order was incorrect... #1 & 2 were swapped. No wonder it was running so badly. I also changed the suspension's hydraulic fluid and filters as well as cleaning out the reservoir. Lucky I did, as it was black :eek:.

Tim

B13

Good to hear! Now go for a long 1/2hr - 1hr drive monitoring the temp and oil pressure... lets hear how you go.

Ian.

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

The fluid was clean on the dipstick, but when drained it was dark. From what I have heard, that's fairly common. I also cleaned the small brass filter that "s class" had removed on "Trusty Rusty". The o-rings are cheap unlike the fluid... I ended up getting it all at Westpoint today.

I took the car for a decent drive (without being too conspicuous ;)) The only real concern is a whine/growl that appears to originate at the transmission, most apparent whilst accelerating in 1st. There's no problem with shifts flaring, even 2nd to 3rd which is good. Reverse is almost instantaneous. Anyway, I'll find out in due course if the transmission needs a rebuild... I'll keep it simple at this point.

Tim

P.S. Temp and oil pressure are excellent and the aux. air valve is functioning correctly... the heater valve is seeping some coolant, though. I will replace that next.

Last edited:

WGB

With the hydraulic oil change you will probably have some air in the system which can create noise.

RonB on the M-100 site gives a method of bleeding but nothing beats a good long drive.

I assume the auto has a correct oil level.

Congratulations - you should be every proud of what you've accomplished so far and I bet there's a great sense of achievement.

What tipped you into buying the "Good Oil" and how much did they charge you?

Bill

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

Hi Styria, what you said earlier seems to fit the bill... it could have been a test vehicle.

That's a possibility, I'll see how it goes once all the air is expelled. In the meantime, I'll double check the Auto fluid... it was okay last time I check, but anything's possible.

Thanks Bill, I'm quite impressed so far.

Regarding the oil, I attempted to order some at Repco, but of course it became too much of a hassle... having to follow it up twice. I was at Westpoint collecting the filter and the o-rings, so I just got it there. It ended up costing $40 per litre as I am way too much of a regular customer. ;)
Also, it gets rid of the "what if I had the genuine stuff in there?" type of questions.

Tim

Styria

The Godfather
Hi TJ450, isn't it amazing how some little problems can cause all that grief ? Sometimes, it's a question that 'you can't see the forest from the trees' ! I am glad that you seem to have solved most of your problems.

Regarding the noise in transmission, it is pretty difficult to diagnose what your problem, if any, is likely to be. Best thing to do initially is to leave well alone at this stage. Try and get the car as mobile as possible and put some miles on it - it will tell you in good time if there is anything else wrong with it. Regards Styria

CraigS

My #1738 was produced 11 November '76 so you might be able to work back from there. Engine number is 1830. I think it was 3 - 4 per day that they were building, so that would make your date guesstimate about right. This one also has Zebrano.

OP
TJ 450

TJ 450

That's interesting, Craig.
My engine nr. is 1875 according to the data card. Where does one look to find the number on the engine itself?

The transmission noise has been minimised... the fluid was just registering on the dipstick, so I topped it up. I went for a drive down to the service station and got 1/2 a tankfull of 98ron and checked the engine oil level while I was at it. All is good with the exception of the front spheres etc. which will be attended to in a few weeks time.

Tim