V8 distributor rotors

More threads by Bandolero

Bandolero

Are the 6.9 distributor rotors the same as the 450? I mean the non-rev limiting ones.
A friend of mine had a quote from a dealer of over $300 for the 6.9 rotor!!
I assume they were quoting for the rev limiter one. Still a ripoff though!!
I'm hoping the 450 one will fit??????
I know the distributor caps must be the same as they have the same part numbers at Autohaus. They however don't list the rotor for the 6.9 only the 450.

abl567

Super Moderator
I believe it is a different part, I'll get back to you soon

OP
B

Bandolero

Could that be because the 450 is a normal rotor and the 6.9 has the rev-limiting rotor?
I'm hoping the 450 will fit the 6.9 unless someone knows where to buy them cheap.
I'm NOT going to pay about $350 from the dealer. Mine is ok at the moment but I want to buy one for a spare.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bandy, just go ahead and fit the 450 unit - they are all the same. Even if you fit the rev-limiter unit, you'll be right. I believe it is the expensive one, as I had been quoted some silly figure a couple of years ago.

They are also available aftermarket - no Bosch inscription, and I don't know who, but somebody in Germany makes them. Regards Styria

OP
B

Bandolero

Thanks Styria.
Yes, Andreas' 6.9 "conked out" in Adelaide yesterday as he was taking it to the Auto trans mob for a service.
The RAA towed it there and apparently the car needed a ballast resistor, rotor and dist cap. The Auto trans mob said they were quoted something like $175 for the cap and about $350 for the rotor from the dealer in Adelaide.
####e!!!!!!
Andreas took his spares to them to fit instead.
Car works well now.

TJ 450

The $300+ part is the rev-limiting type specific to the 6.9, 5,300rpm. The 450 type works perfectly unless you exceed the redline all the time.

Tim

OP
B

Bandolero

Well I bought a spare 450 rotor for the 6.9 and when I compared it to my rev-limiting one, I found that they just don't push on with no mods.
The normal rotor is straight and the 6.9 one is at an angle. So if you put it onto a 6.9 the plug leads will be one connection out.
This means that if you use a 450 rotor, you will either have to remove the distibutor and move the shaft to suit or just move the leads on the cap.
At least the 450 rotor is very cheap and good to keep as a spare.

TJ 450

The rev-limiting type looks like it is offset, but is it? That was my first thought... I'll have to go and check again.

Tim

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bandy, I just don't see it that way - I stilkl reckon if you fitted the 450 rotor in as a straight swap, the car should go alright without having to move the distributor leads.

Why not try it ? If I am wrong, Bandy, I have learned something again - and not the last time either. Regards Styria

N. B. Anyway, I reckon S-Class would be able to double check as well - he has all three - 2 of 6.9, 1 of 450SL.

CraigS

I know that a W126 fits so I don't think you will have any problem with a 450SEL one.

OP
B

Bandolero

No, Styria. I turned both rotors over, lined them up next to each other and saw that the 450 rotor was in line with the hole and clip where it pushes onto the shaft and the 6.9 one was off set to one side by about 1 to 1.5 cms.
I know I come from South Australia, but I'm not that thick!!!!!!:mad:

PS: Maybe some 450 rotors are offset as well even though they are not rev-limiters. The 450 rotor that I bought from Autohausaz IS straight .