350sl manuel

More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I never cease to be amazed by people who put a car for sale with the wrong title and then explain in the body of the add that it is not such and such! :rolleyes:

I know once you have chosen a 'model' ie an SLC, you can't change to an SL.

However, you can ring the website company and they'll fix it for you if you can prove it's the same car and it was a mistake (shouldn't be that hard as it would have the same numbers).

This advert is a classic example:

There you have a relatively rare 350SL manual that is advertised as an SLC automatic, which would make it a little on the high end of the market at $15,000. But for an SL manual, it is well priced (if you're after one). :cool:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
But wait, there is more....You ring Chris to get details or ring the owner who is called Greg.
I thought from the incorrect spelling of manual that I would ring Basil.
Huh?
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
I thought this thread was about service manuals!!! Damn false advertising!!!! ;):D:p

She's advertised for $22K, so I wonder if that's been changed? I missed the bit about Chris, so maybe that's changed too? The pretty poor pics were taken in the backstreets of the city, however it says Clarkefield which is just down the road from me! There's a hot SLC that's also advertised for sale nearby and a now a SL that I've never seen driving around...

But I must say that is one really lovely car made even better with those wheels and yet another rare red interior. If I didn't have so many cars, I'd have a look at both and buy the better one! :)

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
I went for a drive today..... :)

WiSeGuYY

LOL @MICHEL you know MARK and his passion to collect MERCEDES BENZ , i guess you better give him time to take his breath and he will spell it out,
THGOUGH i know MARK we agree that you have too many Wheels and second we agree that SL cabrio is not for you ( or that what i felt from your posts)

REGARDS

TAREK

Oversize

Grand Master
Well this car is a classic example of using your head not your heart! Looked hot, great wheels, sounded ACE and drove quite well. The manual trans was heaps of fun, but it had a bit of a rough coast. I expected it to turn heads down Lygon Street, but sadly I didn't notice anyone stopped in their tracks. Maybe that was due to the white colour? I think it's a 350 D-Jet, but lacks badges. Being a 1973 at least you could modify the engine quite a lot (or even change the engine) without worrying about the EPA (pre 1976 emission requirements). We went to look as the missus liked it and initial suggestions were she might finance it, or sell her CLC and buy a cheaper daily.

No books (of any kind) and so the speedo cannot be verified. Evidence of sill repairs and a couple of nasty oil leaks. One was a yellow-ish colour and thicker than coolant. No rust under the rear seats although I'd like to look in the plenum forward of the windscreen. The radio didn't work along with the A/C due to a broken fan knob. The temp knob was non-genuine. The hardtop came off easily and it was surprisingly light. The soft top was like new. It'd been resprayed and the paint was very nice.

But it was the interior trim that let it down even though it looks good in the pics. It'd been tampered with many times and things just didn't fit well. Big gaps around the radio and various other places. Broken seat side trims, lifting wood veneers and things held in place by silicon. I felt a little cramped, not helped but the fact the driver's sunvisor kept falling down almost into my lap due to a broken clip! I didn't like the way the driver's seat base was padded (it even tilted to the left) and I'd say it'd been reworked.

The owner did offer to put it on a hoist for me to have a look (or have a pre-purchase inspection done). It would be supplied with a RWC at the advertised price, or no RWC for less.

When we got home I fired up Blue Flame and immediately felt relaxed. Far more room and I can carry my friends in comfort. And it sounded so much better I couldn't stop smiling (despite not being able to drive it)! Being an S class I guess they're less likely to be tampered with?? So looks like I'll be sticking with the 6.9s....

That was a close one because we were just looking for something to get in, drive and enjoy. Not something to drive a few times and then pull apart to fix the various things that are driving you nuts. I don't need any more headaches!!! :)

Last edited:

WGB

Sounds like you made a very wise decision not to proceed.

One can only handle one or two "long term restorations" - not sure there are a lot of untampered 40 year old cars out there.

Bill

Oversize

Grand Master
Not helped by the fact the non-gen gear knob came off in my hand!

And something else; I rather like the MB star on the bonnet of the W116. I stare at it when I'm the driver's seat and it gives me reasssurance. In a 6.9 it's like point n shoot! And it makes it far easier to line up those pesky peds and all those annoying things that get in my way (eg small cars, bikes, wheelchairs, misc flora, fauna, road markers, signs that get too close or say stupid things, fence posts and of course those blasted lamp and power poles)!!!! I mean seriously they all make driving far too complicated and I told you all I was trying to make my life simpler!!! LOL! :p;):D

Oversize

Grand Master
Update to an old thread.... Pics!

IMG_0448_zps67aff508.jpg

IMG_0447_zps65b533d1.jpg