6.9 Carpet Refurbish

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Our cars after forty to forty five years, no matter how good a condition the interior may present, can be badly in need of a make-over. Seats, carpets etc. come to mind readily, but also consider refurbishing of timber embellishments and many other items. This segment applies to cars that have been quite well looked after, regularly garaged and so on - those that have been neglected ? They can be another story again - one that never ends.

Regarding re-carpeting - many owners tend to think that there are the two main carpets, and perhaps the rear of the centre tunnel, and that's about it. Not so. There are many pieces of carpet, as well as backless carpet, that constitute a carpet replacement task. Take a look -

IMG_0647_zpsfrkv8ydl.jpg

So you can see what I am talking about - apart from the two main carpets, include a) the front centre console halves b) the sill panels on both sides - to replace those, one needs to remove both front seats. Whilst you are in the process of carrying out that task, you may as well remove the bottom cushion of the rear seat - there are two pieces that are glued to the rear seat support panel, and they meet just at the back of the rear centre tunnel. Next c) you have to cover the two knee pads, the two front quarter panels - then the two seat panels under the front seats etc. etc. You can see what I am getting at.

The next task is to unglue the sound proofing that's glued to the bottoms of the two main carpets. As an example -

IMG_0649_zps71qahz12.jpg

These are just the "basic" old carpet pieces. With those, I was lucky enough to separate the sound proofing from the carpets without doing too much damage. Plenty of WD40 in between the surfaces, and "finger" digging/pushing to separate them. Of course, that's if you want to stay as original as possible.

These carpets came from a well looked after 6.9. Hardly a concours, or pristine look. Probably best described as "patina" - in other words, original but shabby.
IMG_0648_zps90yy0lgt.jpg

This obviously is the front passenger section. Take note of the original sound proofing, with the new carpet about to be glued to it. Looks pretty spiffy, doesn't it ?

IMG_0669_zps5x2ujpnx.jpg

Also note the knee rolls (pads) re-upholstered in backless carpet, as well as gearbox tunnel sides and area under the front seat - driver's side similar.

IMG_0668_zpsmq66zwv4.jpg

That's what one starts off with most times - if you're lucky !

IMG_0651_zps80pfiq5x.jpg

IMG_0652_zpsugywa22r.jpg

Thanks for looking. You perhaps may also now appreciate that it is, or cannot be, a cheap, throw in a carpet exercise. It takes many hours to unglue the various panels and underlays, and there are some very complex shapes that require recovering. I have also come across previously re-upholstered interiors where the trimmer used backless carpet only (an absolute sin), and also have come across one very expensive car where the carpet has been glued into place - I am talking about the two main carpet pieces. Just imagine the ingress of water - trying to remove water soaked backless carpet - an absolute disaster. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just one more picture - to illustrate the end result - if Photobucket plays ball. It has. No, two more pictures.

IMG_0674_zpsgflehswr.jpg

IMG_0673_zpsc4lnyito.jpg

Nice ? Regards Styria

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
So it has non original radio and steering wheel so not a concourse car then. Oh looks good by the way . :D:D:D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The new carpets look superb - as does the new leather in your other post. This is really very different from the heat-moulded one piece carpets of so many other cars and the finished job is just so much more pleasing.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I though that's what I said looks good. :D

260ebenz

Master
Styria carpet refurb looks brilliant a job well done!!

Mercedes with good carpet can't beat that!

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The new carpets look superb - as does the new leather in your other post. This is really very different from the heat-moulded one piece carpets of so many other cars and the finished job is just so much more pleasing.
Regards,
Brian

As far as I can ascertain, one cannot get 'moulded' carpets for a W116.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel - no, no, no - I am not referring to a W116 or a car of similar quality......
Holdens, Fords, Toyotas etc., as you know, have heat moulded carpet that is simply replaced in one piece.....
Regards,
Brian

I have purchased such carpet for my Chevys in the past.
Good enough for replacement, better than the original loop-style Aussie supplied material of the day.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have to complement Styria and his master upholsterer Parks for a splendid job.
Helmet's car looks magnificent.

And here are some interior pics of the Red Terror (690SEL), when Styria and Parks redid it.

IMG_7276-Large_zpsznvyuhkg.jpg
IMG_7281%2050_zpsingfjbaq.jpg
IMG_7291-large_zpsl3fpx6te.jpg
IMG_7292-large_zpsbsu0ocfv.jpg
IMG_7293-large_zpsslm6ypsy.jpg

I can never speak highly enough of the professionalism and quality of the work.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
While the Velour in my car is in great condition due to sheep skins. Inner working of drivers seat could do with over haul. which means all of them if starting. :)

260ebenz

Master
Interior looks top notch in the 6.9 Michel!

I am surprised the carpet and seats in the car are not red as well!
;)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Don't give him idea's :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Interior looks top notch in the 6.9 Michel!

I am surprised the carpet and seats in the car are not red as well!
;)

hmmmmm... that's not such a bad idea

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim you have been handed a Red Card. For giving Michel idea's.:D

Oversize

Grand Master
Wonderful jobs! However the RF heel mat seems the wrong colour

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately Mark, colour choice is very limited. As well, the quality of the heel mats, in my opinion, leaves quite a bit to be desired. However, would you want to re-use the old one as pictured ? Or worse still, have none at all ? It's not always easy. Perfection is hard to come by. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Well that sucks! Personally I'd go without if I couldn't find the right one but that's me