up graded modulator

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Fitted the Transmission with an up graded Modulator today. A 722-306 Auto fitted to 4 speed 107 280 Sl's and probably 280 SLCs. Trap for young players as the modulator valve is not bored out to receive the new design plastic "drive " pin. Apparently the early '81 4 speed 1st. gear start units all had solid modulator valves. Can't be bored out as it has a longer shank. Luckily Bruno , the local mobile ex Mercedes Mechanic, had a used one in a bottom drawer. Getting a new one would be nay impossible. A good result ,cleaner shifts in all Gears. The plastic pin is doing its job to compensate changes in shift quality due to temperature changes in the oil.......Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur
Wow, have not seen one of those for many years , seems that box has never seen touched before ?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Helmet, that's exactly what Bruno said, one of the very original 4 speed units that had not been touched. Apparently there was a second type modulator as well. like the three types of valve bodies . Must have been "fun " during the Warranty Period. ... All's well that ends well.......Sean

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Found out today why the transmission has never been touched. Traced the owner who imported it. Now I know it was a Hong Kong car imported around the late eighties with a low mileage, Leather, Air , child seats, metallic Paint and....60,000 Miles. Par for the course in H. K. Still in the mid seventies. Also born out by little wear on the steering wheel. etc. etc. After a long drawn out search I found that the correct upgraded modulator is Black 1262709179.( From the Yanks ! not Europe or the U.K. ) I believe this is for all of the 722-3++ Transmissions from the eighties. Works for me , clean shifts without the bite........Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur
Found out today why the transmission has never been touched. Traced the owner who imported it. Now I know it was a Hong Kong car imported around the late eighties with a low mileage, Leather, Air , child seats, metallic Paint and....60,000 Miles. Par for the course in H. K. Still in the mid seventies. Also born out by little wear on the steering wheel. etc. etc. After a long drawn out search I found that the correct upgraded modulator is Black 1262709179.( From the Yanks ! not Europe or the U.K. ) I believe this is for all of the 722-3++ Transmissions from the eighties. Works for me , clean shifts without the bite........Sean

So you be hauling it out soon for a set of seals Sean ? :)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
No, no, no, Helmet, the transmission was resealed just before I bought it.
Why an upgraded modulator was not fitted at that time I don't know. The guy who resealed it was an ex Service Manager of a Melbourne Dealership who should have known better. He told me it just needed seal and rings to sort oil leaks. Inside was like new when I changed the oil and filter a while ago. Last job is to find and fit a Kls Speedo head. Hong Kong was in miles in 1980..... British you know. But I take your point , age is probably a bigger problem than Mileage